Warmest Season ever

the blur

Now that deer season is most likely done for me, Ill take all of the warm weather I can get. Furnace isnt running much, dont have to shovel, gonna have time to get a few things done around the yard. Not too shabby.

This weekend I'm heading to my hunting property and going to work up a couple spots for food plots.

• Like 1

i never understood why they do that 100 day guarantee or whatever it is. It's not like they have any competition

And 50 of the 100 days you're skiing on ice...been there done that at Holiday Valley. Yep, it's just a marketing gimmick to keep the Canadians and those from Ohio and Pa. showing up.

It'll be interesting to see when exactly that first real winter snow hits.

Ticks are going to be horrible next year.

Definitely liking the furnace not running much yet.

It was always my understanding that tick populations were more closely linked to acorn mast and rodent populations than to winter conditions. Of course, though, they are more active when it's not bitter cold, and more people tend to be outside when the weather isn't brutal, so it seems like there are more ticks.

• Like 1

It was always my understanding that tick populations were more closely linked to acorn mast and rodent populations than to winter conditions. Of course, though, they are more active when it's not bitter cold, and more people tend to be outside when the weather isn't brutal, so it seems like there are more ticks.

I used to think snow killed off the ticks. Then I found out snow insulates the ticks, and keeps them alive.

All I know is there were no ticks when I grew up. Now they are all over the NE, and beyond.

• Like 2

It is and I see them being way worse with the large acorn crop this year and the mild winter.

I used to think snow killed off the ticks. Then I found out snow insulates the ticks, and keeps them alive.

All I know is there were no ticks when I grew up. Now they are all over the NE, and beyond.

I was watching a show the other night on "The Last Alaskans" or something like that. The guy came across a frozen shrew laying in the middle of the trail. Apparently it came out from under the snow and tried to cross the trail to the other side. The temp was 30 or 40 degrees below zero, so when he left the insulation of the snow and was exposed, he pretty much instantly froze to death right in the middle of the trail.

Snow is a great insulator and is responsible for a lot of things surviving the winter in fine shape. It's likely that ticks are also an example of snow's insulating value.