Meat Advice

Zag

I lost a doe & a buck once. Brought them back from the butcher, & put them both in the same upright freezer. Opened it a few weeks later, & brownish black liquid poured out onto all over the floor. Everything inside was pretty well decayed. Horrible clean up job. We actually took the window out, & threw the freezer out a 2nd story, rather than carry it down the stairs & have to inhale it.

I still feel bad when I look at that buck's rack, or pics of those deer. Losing the meat really robbed me of the satisfaction of the hunt. I still wish I hadn't shot either of them. What a waste, they died for nothing.

Edited by Skillet
  • Like 1

I was always under the impression that all commercially sold venison in the United States was farmed and imported from New Zealand.  I thought it was illegal to sell domestic venison, privately or commercially, in the US.  Something about it not being FDA approved.

There's a butcher near me that sells venison. Not sure if it's legal or not, they're Italian run so I didn't ask.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Maybe if it is turned into sausage....or prepared they can sell it??

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Edited by mlammerhirt

wild venison can't be sold legally but farm raised definitely can.  doesn't matter if or how it's processed.  it's dependent on the source of which the deer came from.  I'd think they'd reimburse you the $300 but not the cost to actually replace it as it can't be determined.  they probably won't reimburse for the cost for purchasable farm raised venison at $23+/lb for anything other than ground because it's not the same.

• Like 1

Thanks, im assuming they will cover my wilsons meat. I think about all the hrs hunting this yr. All the time cutting them up and vacuum sealing each steak. It will be interesting to see what they say in regards to all my deer steaks. If I have to buy regular steaks till next fall that's a pretty penny.

was the meat warm or cold to touch? I would smell it. I had several instances where my wife didn't shut our upright freezer door enough and we had thawed meat in the door. I pulled a package out for dinner, when I prepared it I smelled it and did the old taste test after cooking it. It was fine, but when I pulled it from the freezer it was still cool to the touch.

You can thaw meat in a fridge then re-freeze as long as it doesn't get warm, I have done this with venison I was going to grind later in the season when I get another deer.