In deer hunting , things happen that you do not expect

nobody

Best buck in my life I ever got was a 9 point. Shot him right in his bed while still hunting a deep ravine. I had no party permit at the time

this happened, only my buck tag.This guy was very smart. When the hunting pressure got on him to where he had to leave where he was bedding In this deep

ravine,, just below his bedroom there was a gully wash out that ran quite a bit towards the ravine bottom. The gully wash out was deep enough so that when he jumped

into it, he was below the line of sight of any hunter. The buck could easily low crawl down the gully to a point where when he new it was safe. He would sneak forward out of the ravine

and then cross the road to go into the woods on the other side .

That morning, I went on watch at the end of the ravine before daylight.. Man, you talk about cold and frosty just trying to sit still there leaning up against the tree.

I was in full blaze orange but I was also wearing long johns and checkered red and black wool pants to keep warm.The coat color was dulled out in orange because of the years of hunting use.

Come 9:30 a.m. I started to still hunt into the ravine bottom  at a very very slow pace. In the ravine bottom there was a active stream running to help cover up any sounds I may make. Of

course you do your best not to. Now there was heavy tall pines running up the sides of this deep ravine. So every so often,I would slowly squat down and give a good look under them to see any

deer that may be in my vision. This went on for better then half an hour.

I came to a fairly deep gully run off.I slowly crossed the gully to where I could squat and take a look up under those pines. We,ll to my surprise I could see deer legs standing very still.

Now remember that I had no doe take permit.

Ok, I am a lefty so I shoot off of my left shoulder.This was to me perfect for this situation so I slowly raised my gun to the shooting position and then I did a  slow frame side step to see the deer clearly.

Holy crap, there was a huge deer standing very still  on a very small plateau but I could not determine for sure if it was a buck.Behind the deers head there was all kinds of tree limbs.

I had to wait till he moved his head.My sights were right behind his right shoulder and I said to myself as my heart was loudly banging in my ears , there,s no way this deer has a chance if it,s a buck.

Then it happened. The buck new something was up so he very very slowly turned his head.It seemed like a eternity before he did move. and then I new, boom the 12ga. went moving a 1oz. remington slug

at his shoulder, then he took one bound toward the ravine the one I had just crossed.I racked in another slug knowing he was all mine.I quickly paced up to his bed and looked into the gully.

and there he was just where he jumped, dead. The slug went through behind the right shoulder and just stopped under the skin on the other side. Perfect I thought. It was over. A beautiful heavy beam 9 point buck. This was in southern tier N.Y. near Cameron Mills, N.Y..

• Like 14

I had one hell of a time dragging this buck up the ravine hill. There was at least 4 inches of fresh snow to make

the ground a little slippery. I filled out my tag first then i took my buck knife and opened him up. The piss bladder was full

so I lifted the bladder out of the deer,s body and held it from behind with one hand faceing the bladder away from the deer.

With my other hand I took my knife and poked a hole in the bladder. This nicely drained the bladder ok. Then I finished up gutting

this guy.I bagged the heart and liver and put these organs in my back pack

now came the dragging fun part. man this took a long time to get this buck up the ravine wall. when i got where the incline got real steep

I had to put one foot against any of the small tree,s , stand up all the way , take up the rope slack and then fall backwards while pulling with my

body weight to move the  deer up the hill. Over and over I did this. I,m 6 foot 2 inches tall and my body weight then was around 235 lbs..

If i had been a small frame person i do not think I could have made it  out without help. close to the top, I tagged the deer and tied the rope

to a tree . then i waved a car down to ask for help.

The guy said ok, the only question he asked me was : Is the deer tagged. Yes sir, I replied so he helped me finish up and we got the buck on the edge of

the road. I shook his hand to thank him and he nodded no problem.

Now i had no camera on me but later at camp i did take some pic,s. we were staying at the Canesteo rod and Gun club.probably 11 guys all together.

We slept on our own cots that we brought with us from home.Plus any other usual hunting gear.i will work on posting some pic,s later to add to this hunting story.

Be patient till i post these pic,s and i hope you guys enjoyed this hunting adventure with me.I will never forget the buck fever i experienced even though I had

all ready taken many deer  over the past years, but this was truly different. man my heart was just pounding in my ears waiting for that buck to move his head

to be sure that this guy had horns.

Froggy

• Like 2

..... then i waved a car down to ask for help.

The guy said ok, the only question he asked me was : Is the deer tagged. Yes sir, I replied so he helped me finish up and we got the buck on the edge of the road. I shook his hand to thank him and he nodded no problem.......

Froggy

You flagged down a car and a stranger agreed to help you drag the deer the rest of the way out? That was indeed your lucky day. You should have run right out and got a lottery ticket.

What a great guy! It kind of refreshes your faith in mankind. Apparently there are some pretty good guys still left in the world. I'm thinking that most guys would have  flipped you the bird and drove off. Others might have offered the use of their cell-phone to call somebody. Others might have offered to drive to or towards your camp to get help. But here a total stranger parked his car and walked in with you to help drag the deer to the road. That is amazing!

• Like 7

Thanks you so much folks for your response to my posting on this event in my life.

When I tell a experience , I want you to see through my eyes as the way it happened.

I will talk more in the future on other hunting experiences.

Froggy

This deer take experience happened  to me 1993 in near Cameron,N.Y. on top of the very high very wooded hills across from Cameron  going in the back way road. Clayton Calumet hunting club land.                    

The back way I went in that day was just before Cameron, N.Y..

As you get to the very top of the hill. the ravine is on your right. The club later on quit leaseing this side because the price to hold the lease , they were asking to much money for it. We kept the 600 acres

to hunt on the back side. The ravine itself is huge. Runs very deep in away in from the road. Looking at a hunter in the bottom from the top. He looks real tiny. Gives you an idea on how deep this thing was.

Well, I,ve dug out some pic,s ,scanned them ,but I do not know how to get then into  this talk discussion.

Help and it will be done. Make sure you give me clear understanding instructions. so a dummy could do it.  ha  ha .  Note that the deer was a good 8 point but the horns also had a 1 1/2 in

point . I called that my number 9 point, ok...

Froggy

Ok, I hope you can see these pics.

Top right is when I just got this buck out of the ravine.

Top left is my buck hanging from camp porch , only one with horns..Look closely and you will see the slug tap on him right shoulder.

====================================================================================================

Middle right hanging was a 6 point I got the previous year.

Middle left is inside the camp cutting up the limburger cheese.

====================================================================================================

Bottom right is the end of one of our opening days.

Bottom left was a great day before me and my buddy started back home. We had filled all our tags.

===================================================================================================

Froggy

post-6847-0-71071100-1450898566_thumb.jp

• Like 3

I was just thinking on the pic,s I uploaded ,   If  the pic,s do not expand to a bigger size for better viewing

go into your browser and add the image expander extension.. This will expand the pics  to a larger size, works with most pic,s

when you hover over them with your curser.            In added extention search, type in image than search.you will see the one to add.

Froggy