New studies say Coyotes DO affect deer populations!

Mr VJP

The truth is starting to come out.  Research is constantly being done.  The old surveys are no longer valid.

http://www.petersenshunting.com/predators/are-coyotes-killing-your-deer/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_term=sportsmanchannel&utm_content=petersenshunting

A study conducted by U.S. Forest Service Research Wildlife Biologist John Kilgo at Savannah River Site in South Carolina is revealing a stark picture of coyote predation on deer populations.

Edited by Mr VJP
  • Like 1

All I can say, is that after more than 40 years hunting a property. The more coyotes we have, the less deer we have. This is not a guess or estimate. This is boots on the ground, see with my own eyes. As the coyote population has exploded over the years, the deer population has decreased exponentially. There is no doubt that one population has effected the other. Only a fool would say otherwise.

• Like 5

The issue is that because some may not have coyote issue, or they think that Cornell is the absolute for NY ( Cornell studies cover about 1/7 of this state ). Just because your backyard is filled with the most adorable creatures, and they sparkle in the sun, doesn't mean other people don't have problematic predators. 

• Like 1

There are a few guys on here who do say otherwise.  I just don't understand why they do.

Yeah no doubt. Bet they will even try to defuse this research. This has been a givin in this area. Take them out and you will have your game back and no the coyote will not just repopulate itself over night. It takes years before you have any numbers back again. 

I think the problem is that some think 2-3-5 yotes are a problem and i dont think thats the case. When you have them talking to each other on 3 different corners of your property you have a problem started.

• Like 4

Yeah no doubt. Bet they will even try to defuse this research. This has been a givin in this area. Take them out and you will have your game back and no the coyote will not just repopulate itself over night. It takes years before you have any numbers back again.

I think the problem is that some think 2-3-5 yotes are a problem and i dont think thats the case. When you have them talking to each other on 3 different corners of your property you have a problem started.

I could not agree more! Well said!

From Biologist John Kilgo (who is quoted in the OP's link and who wrote the info. in the link below)

http://www.treesearch.fs.fed.us/pubs/35307

From the above link:

"Although this evidence does not establish cause and effect between coyotes and observed declines in deer recruitment, we argue that additional research should proactively address this topic in the region. We identified several important questions on the nature of the deer–coyote relationship in the East."

Yeah, but try telling that to the people who think they are Gods or docile creatures. 

Really Law? Use the search option for coyotes. I don't need more slobs making fake accounts.

huh.... im lost??

Anyways i have a coyote den on our property, whats a good way to eliminate it?

Edited by zag

From Biologist John Kilgo (who is quoted in the OP's link and who wrote the info. in the link below)

http://www.treesearch.fs.fed.us/pubs/35307

From the above link:

"Although this evidence does not establish cause and effect between coyotes and observed declines in deer recruitment, we argue that additional research should proactively address this topic in the region. We identified several important questions on the nature of the deer–coyote relationship in the East."

What he said in that link prior to the part you posted is more telling IMO.

The coyote (Canis latrans) is a recent addition to the fauna of eastern North America, and in many areas coyote populations have been established for only a decade or two. Although coyotes are known predators of white-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus) in their historic range, effects this new predator may have on eastern deer populations have received little attention. We speculated that in the southeastern United States, coyotes may be affecting deer recruitment, and we present 5 lines of evidence that suggest this possibility. First, the statewide deer population in South Carolina has declined coincident with the establishment and increase in the coyote population. Second, data sets from the Savannah River Site (SRS) in South Carolina indicate a new mortality source affecting the deer population concurrent with the increase in coyotes. Third, an index of deer recruitment at SRS declined during the period of increase in coyotes. Fourth, food habits data from SRS indicate that fawns are an important food item for coyotes during summer. Finally, recent research from Alabama documented significant coyote predation on fawns there.

Gosh, not sure if i want to see the results if i hang a cam. But how do I get rid of it? I wish i had dynimite, fill it with rocks?

That would work. Smoke bomb whilst you and your buddy stands outside with pump shotguns filled with buckshot.  Nah that would not be far would it?  Use your imagination.lol