erussell

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All giants!!

I like the survey question, below the author's signature;

"Does a buck's rack size or weight matter more to you as a measure of success?"

I would prefer a 400 pound buck with a 200 inch rack. Could you imagine! next all the companies will be putting growth hormones and steroids in there bait, The deer with look like a bull coming through the woods.  :P

In the fall of 2004 I was working in VT's Northeast Kingdom and saw a northern Quebec deer on the scales at a local gas station in Canaan, VT. It was better than 320 pounds dressed and this was one week after it was killed.  That deer would have tipped the scales close to if not better than 400 pounds live weight.  It had a 8 point 120" rack that looked tiny for the deer.  Another monster I saw was a doe taken in Pittsburg, NH that dressed 189 pounds and that is no BS.  It didn't look normal. 

I think it is Bergmann's Rule that says the further away from the equator the larger the body size.  There are numerous bucks that dress out over 300 pounds taken in Canada each year.  Not so many in the States.   

I personally prefer weight.  But bigger deer usually have age and with age comes bigger racks.  Unfortunately I'm not very good at getting big bucks, although I do have two that are members of the 200 pound club.

if i shot a 291 IB deer i would be more then happy to drag that out of the woods!  :P

I hope you get the chance to do so. There were a few little uphills that I had to get my deer up & my 165lbs had all they could do to move him. I really could've useda 4 wheeler that day !!!!!

I have always over-estimated my ability to drag out a deer. I've done that ever since I was a kid. I always wind up hunting a lot farther back in than I should, or not paying enough attention to whether there will be a lot of uphill in the drag out. It's just not something you tend to think about until the deer is down and laying at your feet. Then all I can say to myself is, "My God, what have you gone and done?"

I ran into a small game hunter that was laughing at me bow hunting way the heck back in and he asked me how the heck I would get a deer out of there if I got one. Well, a few weeks later during gun season I found out that I can still do it. But then it wasn't any 291 pound deer .....  :P . If it had been that big, I might have had to eat it there instead of taking it home. ;D

I think I am getting to the age where I had better begin factoring in a little bit of reality though ..... lol.

Doesn't matter how you factor in, Doc. The buggers never listen to our plans. I don't think I hae ever had one run towards the car or up hill...leaving a down hill drag.

I did get luck with my biggest weight deer...205. he dropped just off a logging road and after a quick 15 minute spell with the chain saw I was able to back the truck to within 15 feet.

And you know what...My Dr. say hunting doesn't count as exercise. I invited hime to go with me for a day but he hasn't taken me up on it :P

its sucks even down hill when you get a big deer... when their big that down hill doesnt make it all that easier lol

I will take a down hill or side hill drag over a flat land one any day of the week. Especially if the flat land is rocky creek beds...I hate that spot! But its so damned good to me.. :-X  We go over the creek beds through the sand and thick stuff and then acrossed a river and finish by having to hoist up over a 10 foot creek bank.

My boy is real young and all full of pi$$ & vinager.He says he doesn't care, he'll throw it on his shoulder and carry it out. I let him grab 2 50 bags of feed one day and try to put them on his shoulder and walk........He changed his mind REAL QUICK !!!!! I told him to image trying to walk through the woods like that & that's only 100 lbs.

2 seasons ago I grabbed this buck by the horns and inched my way out of the thick creekbottom. Thought I was gonna die draggin'. ???

I stopped to take a break and remembered I had some 2gal. size ziplocks in my pack for the heart and liver along with all my empty sammich bags from previous hunts. I figured to blow them all up and throw the sucker in the creek with the bags stuffed in the carcass cavity. Needless to say, other than the rack catching bottom a few times he floated out like a boat to where I could get the truck down to him.

Was a little cold for crick walkin' that day but it sure felt better than overheating the way I was. ;)

Never got him on a scale but I know the SOB was HEAVY with no snow that year.

006-21.jpg

thats a different idea wooly lol

you weren't worried about the carcas picking up parasites or what not from the creek? just asking because i heard mixed ideas on dragging deer through creeks...

We float ours across too, that is actually the easiest part because they float quite well even with out the bags like Wooly did. We just hold on to the drag rope and let them swing downstream from us. Never had a problem with the water and parasites either, any thing you could pick up there would die when frozen or cooked. Our creek is 50 yards across and varies in depth depending on rain fall amounts from ankle deep to 10 feet.

I've been dragging them through that same creek for 20 years now. Never had a problem other than getting wet feet crossing it so figured I may as well make it work for me. ;)

My house was right on the other side so they got a thorough rinsing there.