Beagles & snowshoe hare

anyone know of any good snowshoe spots in New York a couple hours from Orange County?.. I've been breeding beagles and hunting rabbits all my life.. But never hunted snow shoes with the dogs.. I currently have 6 dogs and would love to go hunt some snowshoes with them.. Anybody have any suggestions

Hunter9396

Just a little info...Hunting snowshoes with dogs is not like hunting cottontails. The snowshoes typically run A LOT farther. They will take a dog(s) out of hearing and make you wonder if they are running deer. (Tracking Collars will help)

The more guys you have the merrier.  When the dogs  jump them position shooters on their runs and you stand a chance of getting one.

If you don't get them the first time be prepared to wait for them to come back. I have run one snowshoe as long as 4hrs and never got it. They usually don't hole and will keep going til you either shoot it or call the dogs off.

If there is snow on the ground they are hard to spot so everyone has to be alert. Good time and a good workout for the dogs.

Good Luck!

I've never hunted bunnies (cotton tails) with a dog. I jump on brushpiles and or look for them sitting out in sun .

Do bunnies really run a large loop and come back ? I've heard this but never experienced it .

Yup, they run a huge circle and usually come back to right where they started. Cottontails usually don't run to far away like snow shoe
  • Like 2

My BIL just got a small beagle pup last year. It has gotten out of the fence several times and chased some larger game around his 5 acres. Tomorrow morning we are going to see if we can chase some cottontails. Not sure how they talked me into getting picked up at 6:45am on a Sunday but I can nap in the afternoon.

There will be three of us and the dog "Chance". Hopefully it will be a good morning. Ill post up some pics, successful or not tomorrow afternoon.

• Like 1

It was damn cold out there this morning but we went after em. Long story short, we kicked up two, had no shots at the first one and two of us missed the second one. We tried to get one for the dog, but no success this time. Chance did a good job and did get on the fresh tracks a yelping. Maybe next weekend. 4 miles in the books today.

Here is a pic of Chance curled up on the ride home.

post-287-0-14633100-1453654452_thumb.jpg

Edited by Zem18
  • Like 5

We ran beagles in Tug Hill on hare and it was a blast. The dogs ran great on the snow, we wore snowshoes. It's amazing how much further ahead they run in front of the dogs then cottontail.

To answer the OP's original question, I don't know anywhere too close to orange county but I know Tug Hill and ADK's is great for hare.

Went out after cottontails this morning with my BIL and his pup. Had another great morning. We bumped three and ended up getting one. The dog did a great job getting on the scent and found the bunny. Now he has one to freeze and train more with. Chance also hopped after a blue Jay and a gray squirrel today. Was fun watching him work and learn and some great exercise.

Hope to get back out next Sunday.

• Like 1

Went out after cottontails this morning with my BIL and his pup. Had another great morning. We bumped three and ended up getting one. The dog did a great job getting on the scent and found the bunny. Now he has one to freeze and train more with. Chance also hopped after a blue Jay and a gray squirrel today. Was fun watching him work and learn and some great exercise.

Hope to get back out next Sunday.

I'm so jealous!