Drones used for hunting

Rockspek

Has technology gone to far?

I read this on the qdma website.

"DRONES

The latest technology controversy within the hunting community has centered on our newfound fascination with drones. Originally developed for military applications, drones have gotten smaller and much more affordable for the average person. In fact, for a few hundred bucks you can get your own drone, slap a point-of-view (POV) camera on it, and you are ready for some aerial scouting. 

While their use for hunting is more talk than practice at this point, several states have already been proactive in outlawing their use for hunting, including Colorado, Montana and Alaska. Much like the Live Shot case, there seems to be little support for their hunting use at this point in the game, but as the drones continue to become cheaper and more common, the subject is sure to resurface."

What's your take?

What problems will we see?

Would you ever use one for scouting from above?

No doubt they will/have been used. Trail cams tell ya when deer are walking by and that was ok'ed.  A guy will fly a swamp and see whats in there and if he likes the looks of it he will get some guys together and drive it. I guess it would work better with snow on the ground as far as seeing.  They let ya shoot pigs out of choppers for numbers control.

Hunting is gone by the wayside from what it ever was. Now everything is designed to make it easier to kill and control.

Not Hunt! 

• Like 3

I think were going to see drones become a big problem for aviation.  The more of these there are, the more we'll see mid air collisions.  Helicopters are especially sensitive to a drone strike in mid air.

I'm sure they will eventually be used for hunting though.  These days any new toy gets pushed so hard for legalization, the wildlife agencies often cave.  They really need to stick to making wildlife decisions based on proven methods.

Where as game cameras can be useful tools that help present a better idea of animal diversity, movement on your particular property. Also where you may hunt on public lands.  The obvious great use in deterring trespassing and theft. Drones have a great potential in causing problems. Visual trespassing, completing the attacks people have been experience on their right to privacy and personal space on their own lands. 

The abuses will occur, that's inevitable and need addressing BEFORE they get bad. I mean think about all the after season discussions on sanctuaries and deer held up on posted lands and Posted no hunting lands....Human nature...guys will just have to do stupid things to get those deer. It's almost a sickness with some...

• Like 1

Hunting is becoming killing for some people. Why not just gather up a bunch of deer, put them in a pen, and let the "hunter" pick out the one they want? One stop shop for deer. Unfortunately that seems to be where it's heading for some people. No need for learning the way of the whitetail, woodsmanship, patience, even becoming proficient with your weapon of choice. Just drive up, kill a deer, pack it up and head on home.

That is why I spend time here, on this site. The vast majority are real hunters and would never think of not hunting for their venison or antlers. It's up to us to keep "hunting" as it should be. 

United we stand. Divided we fall.

• Like 11

I can see drones becoming a scouting tool, really no different in concept then hanging a game cam on a tree. The only difference is a drone will allow one to get a much better view of one's hunting area. Similar to game cam's that send photos to one's wi-fi enabled devices, one will be able to sit at home and see in real-time what is going on in one's woods. I think their use offers great potential for scouting purposes.

I have a entry lvl drone and it was still pricey as heck...to get the range needed to scout a area without bumping the deer would be the cost of a cheap quad. Not to mention the skill required to fly one accurately. I don't think they will be a issue for awhile maybe once technology and price make it affordable for the normal person to get a good one maybe...still have my doubts

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Well, I like electronics and love hunting.

I consider changing my trailcam SD cards like a trapper running his trapline, and always get excited to get those cards loaded on my PC to see what I've got.

So I can understand drones and my hunting to get mixed together someday (if legal). I can see myself sitting in a stand wondering what's happening on other parts of the property (like I always do) and taking a flight over to the north side just to see what I see.

But drones have to come down in price a bit more before it hits my disposable income threshold. Still close to a grand (or more) for a decent rig with decent flight time and distance. From an ethics standpoint, it's not that different from a cellular trailcam to me.

Well, I like electronics and love hunting.

I consider changing my trailcam SD cards like a trapper running his trapline, and always get excited to get those cards loaded on my PC to see what I've got.

So I can understand drones and my hunting to get mixed together someday (if legal). I can see myself sitting in a stand wondering what's happening on other parts of the property (like I always do) and taking a flight over to the north side just to see what I see.

But drones have to come down in price a bit more before it hits my disposable income threshold. Still close to a grand (or more) for a decent rig with decent flight time and distance. From an ethics standpoint, it's not that different from a cellular trailcam to me.

Just my point. Trail cam will tell ya what time a buck is walking by so you can go Shoot it. Not hunt it. Drone will show you where a buck is bedded so you can set up to get him killed. Not hunt him.   

Using the word you, I mean hunters in general. Not pointing at you. All and all its just a tool to make killing easier and take the word hunt of of the picture. The days of sitting and watching a buck, scouting his moves and setting up to kill that buck are gone by the wayside.

I can see drones becoming a scouting tool, really no different in concept then hanging a game cam on a tree. The only difference is a drone will allow one to get a much better view of one's hunting area. Similar to game cam's that send photos to one's wi-fi enabled devices, one will be able to sit at home and see in real-time what is going on in one's woods. I think their use offers great potential for scouting purposes.

I have a drone and never got a chance to do this last year, but do plan on doing a bit this year. Mainly there is a path I was trying to identify through some nasty stuff and from ground level it's been impossible to do. I am hoping with a little elevation I can see a way through.

Hunting with drones is illegal already in New York, but I don't consider mapping to be hunting. In heavy brush they wouldn't be of any use really, and you can't see much down into the trees, but in open fields they could effectively be used to drive deer so making them illegal for this is probably a good idea.

Drones continue to drop in price and size. Already a pretty small one can effectively be flown in around trees, but they are loud. Really tiny drones, like $20-50 range are quiet but they don't have the FPV or range needed to be effective. This will come in time. Eventually I think it will be honestly impossible to keep a lot of hunters from using drones. You could walk to an area, fly around quite discreetly looking for deer, then sneak up on them and/or drive them to you. The problem is hunting tech always changes but deer don't. Odds are stacked against them. 

Few of us have problems with trail cams, but they are quite a significant tech advantage.

The DEC needs to define exactly what "hunting" with a drone means though.  Does it mean a drone that shoots a deer?  One that is hovering when a deer is shot?  Or one used to spot deer and then return home while the hunter suited up and stalked it afterwards?

That last one may be very hard to prove too.

Why not just put your boots on the ground and see for yourself? You would get a more accurate idea of what the deer are doing. 

As technology advances, and as people rely ever more on it in their day to day activities and as the entire world of hunting changes it is no surprise that technology, has it has in every other aspect of one's life, will impact hunting too.

How do you prove that a drone was being used for scouting? You are stuck with mind-reading intent. There is no law that says that you can't fly over lands inhabited by deer.

I suspect it is only a matter of time before somebody mounts a small gun on one of these things, and then the mis-use and mayhem begins. Perhaps it may become the weapon of choice for domestic terrorism. Perhaps hunting abuses will become the least of our worries relative to drones.

How do you prove that a drone was being used for scouting? You are stuck with mind-reading intent. There is no law that says that you can't fly over lands inhabited by deer.

I suspect it is only a matter of time before somebody mounts a small gun on one of these things, and then the mis-use and mayhem begins. Perhaps it may become the weapon of choice for domestic terrorism. Perhaps hunting abuses will become the least of our worries relative to drones.

Just like how you enforce any other law, you catch them in the act. Just because it may be hard to prove doesn't make it ok IF it's against the law. One can also be charged with disturbing wildlife if said drone was flying low enough to scout I would imagine. Either way you slice it, bad idea for a real conservationist to be using these things.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Just like how you enforce any other law, you catch them in the act. Just because it may be hard to prove doesn't make it ok IF it's against the law. One can also be charged with disturbing wildlife if said drone was flying low enough to scout I would imagine. Either way you slice it, bad idea for a real conservationist to be using these things.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Using one makes you anti-conservationist? Or breaking a law makes you anti-conservationist?