Did you get your rebate check yet?

BizCT

Wasn't a ton...but hey a refund is a refund.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Yea it has something to do with how much your taxes went up or something. I got $434, but only owned my house for 9 months so I'm not sure if it was prorated or something. Looks like the max $800

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

I'm pretty sure it works like this:

Local governments (taxing entities) are able to provide real property tax rebate checks if they comply with the terms of the program which states that the tax increase must be at or below a 2% increase, or the rate of inflation, whichever is lower.

It might be more efficient and less costly to cut the tax levy and save the money up front, but hey...  Don't those checks and the feeling of depositing them remind you of a certain someone when you enter that voting booth?  Ha.

ADDED -

And I have yet to get one...

Edited by RebelDarling
  • Like 1

It's an attempt to buy your vote with your own money.  You over paid and they want you to be grateful you're getting some of it back.

I would say about 70% of all taxes collected by politicians are taken from people not likely to vote for them and given to those who will.

• Like 1

It's an attempt to buy your vote with your own money. You over paid and they want you to be grateful you're getting some of it back.

I would say about 70% of all taxes collected by politicians are taken from people not likely to vote for them and given to those who will.

Can't buy my vote, because I don't vote.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Are you even an NRA member? Or would you rather the rest of us shoulder your share of that weight, also?

I'm an SCI member and NRA member. I've also donated $ to the NY Crossbow Coalition a couple of times.

Lastly, what did I bitch about? I didn't complain about anything.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 2

Got mine a couple of weeks ago, first one for me as my town has gone past the cap until now. If I subtract it from my property taxes paid, it's still an outrageous tax bill.

Hey Biz, not being a wiseguy at all by my question, but just curious, why don't you vote? I admit it seems like my vote means nothing, but I feel it's the least I can do.

Heck, for the first time in my life I even donated to a campaign in 2014 (Astorino in the last Governor's race). He needed downstate votes to win, but came up short there after carrying most of upstate.

Got mine a couple of weeks ago, first one for me as my town has gone past the cap until now. If I subtract it from my property taxes paid, it's still an outrageous tax bill.

Hey Biz, not being a wiseguy at all by my question, but just curious, why don't you vote? I admit it seems like my vote means nothing, but I feel it's the least I can do.

Heck, for the first time in my life I even donated to a campaign in 2014 (Astorino in the last Governor's race). He needed downstate votes to win, but came up short there after carrying most of upstate.

Just never was into politics and I honestly don't know anyone else really who votes. None of my friends vote. Nobody I work with votes. So I guess it never crosses my mind to go somewhere to vote.

Just never was into politics and I honestly don't know anyone else really who votes. None of my friends vote. Nobody I work with votes. So I guess it never crosses my mind to go somewhere to vote.

I registered to vote when I was younger, and voted only one time until I was in my late 20's/early 30's. Then some laws were passed (might have been Clinton's AWB, but not sure) that ticked me off enough to start pulling levers (everybody remember those?). That and rapidly escalating property taxes!

Although I vote local, state, and federal, is seems like the presidential vote is the most important, yet the least impacted by my vote. NYS will never give electoral votes to a republican.

But at least I live in a deeply red county.

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 1