What's in your smoker tonight?

Rockspek

Turkeyfeathers, I want to try your venison bites. Doesn't the cream cheese melt out in the smoker? Do you marinate the meat or just dry rub? Thanks 

Cut steak into bite sized pieces - dry rub -you could marinate but I never have -use butter knife to put dab of cream cheese ( we like the jalapeño cream cheese ) - cut bacon strips into 3 pieces ( one piece is perfect for the bite sized ) - tooth pick bacon around. Cream cheese softens pretty good but bacon keeps it contained so it doesn't ooze out. Can't tell you the # of people who've tried venison for the first time this way and loved it. 200-225 degrees. When bacon is done but not crispy they're done. Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

OK for all you guys who make your own sausage I have a question? I'm going to smoke up some snack(pepper) sticks this weekend and I was thinking of adding cheese to them. Any idea if i have to use high temp cheese or can I just use any cheddar or pepper jack cheese? I got to thinking of adding the cheese yesterday when I finished my last pack of venison hot dogs. With cheese and Jalapenos in them. I don't know if I can find high temp cheese locally. I looked on line and I can order it but I don't want to wait for shipping. Plus it is pricey! I might try Black Angus as I know they make their own sausage maybe I can get some from them?

Cut steak into bite sized pieces - dry rub -you could marinate but I never have -use butter knife to put dab of cream cheese ( we like the jalapeño cream cheese ) - cut bacon strips into 3 pieces ( one piece is perfect for the bite sized ) - tooth pick bacon around. Cream cheese softens pretty good but bacon keeps it contained so it doesn't ooze out. Can't tell you the # of people who've tried venison for the first time this way and loved it. 200-225 degrees. When bacon is done but not crispy they're done. Enjoy

That is very interesting I'll have to give it a try. Have you tried it with different curd of venison and are some better than others?

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

That is very interesting I'll have to give it a try. Have you tried it with different curd of venison and are some better than others?

Have only used steaks cut into bite sized pieces. I know a few others on here have tried this recipe and liked it.

14 hours ago, TACC said:

I first tried it with some left over back strap and it was awesome! I've since tried it with steak/roast and some of the pieces were a little chewy, but not too bad. Recently i tried it with wild turkey breast and it was great. i used the same dry rub ( dino cajun) I now make my own Jalapeno cream cheese as is is a lot cheaper and i can add as much peppers as I like. I've done some in the smoker but I thought it was too smokey, now I just use the oven. 

22 minutes ago, 2012_taco said:

I first tried it with some left over back strap and it was awesome! I've since tried it with steak/roast and some of the pieces were a little chewy, but not too bad. Recently i tried it with wild turkey breast and it was great. i used the same dry rub ( dino cajun) I now make my own Jalapeno cream cheese as is is a lot cheaper and i can add as much peppers as I like. I've done some in the smoker but I thought it was too smokey, now I just use the oven. 

I'll have to try adding some jalapenos to regular cream cheese, we like zing. 

What kind of wood chips were you running to make it "too smoky?"  I only use apple and long since ditched mesquite as it was too smoky for us.

3 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I'll have to try adding some jalapenos to regular cream cheese, we like zing. 

What kind of wood chips were you running to make it "too smoky?"  I only use apple and long since ditched mesquite as it was too smoky for us.

Yes the cream cheese is easy, just buy a block of c. Cheese and chop up jalapenos. 

I used pecan chips on advice from a friend, I don't think you need to smoke them as bacon has a little smoke flavor already.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
26 minutes ago, Fletch said:

You doing a smoke/grill to eat steak style or a full blown smoke pull?

All on smoker. Going to smoke some ice cubes later for Old Fashions.  Smoke ice cubes in aluminum tray at low temps   They melt and refreeze in tray. We'll see as never tried it. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Pork tenderloin just hit the smoker. Light coat of maple syrup and Trader Joe's coffee garlic rub99a554e5f6845bab8fe69c67388f8508.jpg

I have to laugh that's what I'm having without the smoke, because no smoker. But it will be good. Enjoy!

• Like 1

I have to laugh that's what I'm having without the smoke, because no smoker. But it will be good. Enjoy!

Aw man with all the good food you post up ?! It's so easy to use too. I've had this one for 5-6 years or so. Leave it on side of driveway, shovel around it and use all year. And you probably read I'm making smoked ice cubes for Old fashions later. I do believe you might like those 2d6b153428936bdc2e4354230dcd5163.jpg

13 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Aw man with all the good food you post up ?! It's so easy to use too. I've had this one for 5-6 years or so. Leave it on side of driveway, shovel around it and use all year. And you probably read I'm making smoked ice cubes for Old fashions later. I do believe you might like those emoji2.png2d6b153428936bdc2e4354230dcd5163.jpg

I used to have one like that used it a lot. Smoked a lot of fish and venison. I'll have to get another one. The problem is timing. Most of our meals are decided within 30 to 45 min. Being retired is unpredictable at best, wife and I enjoy every day.

• Like 2