Question to the left, should Apple follow the law?

That's not entirely true. First they're not asking Apple to take any information off of the phone. They're just asking them to disable the auto destruct so they can unlock it. Apple therefore hasn't touched the data.

I haven't heard that extenuation. Provide a few details and maybe I'll take your word for it.

Secondly if an FBI involved process is strictly adhered to then it is admissible. Law enforcement uses outside contractors all the time.

I was unaware that Apple was considered a 'Government contractor' in a case such as this. Please, do explain the relationship between Apple and the government. It would be enlightening for many of us.

Tacti_steve,

My apologies for the snarkiness of this post.

Typing without thinking, or just to vent, is inexcusable. Mea culpa.

Being a large majority here hate the government how can you justify giving them the power to access people's private communications?

I don't remember seeing anyone commenting that they were ok with Apple providing the Feds a free pass to a backdoor. I guess I kind of view my phone the same as a file cabinet in my home office. If I was a terrorist and they had a warrant, then they should have access to it. 

I don't remember seeing anyone commenting that they were ok with Apple providing the Feds a free pass to a backdoor. I guess I kind of view my phone the same as a file cabinet in my home office. If I was a terrorist and they had a warrant, then they should have access to it.

But that's what Apple has described what the FBI wants, a backdoor created and handed over.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

But that's what Apple has described what the FBI wants, a backdoor created and handed over.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

What have you seen that wasn't Apple's words stating this? All I can find about it from other sources reference the decryption and data on "that phone"

Maybe I am being dense and missing it.

Can the phone be unlocked without the Technology to unlock future phones passed along to the Feds?

I may be looking at this in a far too simplistic manner but I would think so. They need apple to do it. I would think the decryption could be done under the same security and precautions they take in it's development.  I see it like this. 

Apple writes it at their place. 

the feds show up with the phone. 

Apple spits out the data or just unlocks it under the supervision of the Feds to assure evidence history

Feds leave with data and the phone. 

Apple decides whether to keep or trash the program. 

accomplices are arrested. 

I may be looking at this in a far too simplistic manner but I would think so. They need apple to do it. I would think the decryption could be done under the same security and precautions they take in it's development. I see it like this.

Apple spits out the data or just unlocks it under the supervision of the Feds to assure evidence history

Thank you

If that's the case then I don't see it as any different then serving a search warrant. And would side with the Feds.

However if the process involves continued access to the program buy the Federal government, in other words unlimited use then I would side with Apple.

• Like 1

I may be looking at this in a far too simplistic manner but I would think so. They need apple to do it. I would think the decryption could be done under the same security and precautions they take in it's development. I see it like this.

Thank you

If that's the case then I don't see it as any different then serving a search warrant. And would side with the Feds.

However if the process involves continued access to the program buy the Federal government, in other words unlimited use then I would side with Apple.

Thank you

Thank you

Thank you

Thank you

What if a foreign government gets a court order to do exactly what the American Government wants, and the phone belongs to an American Citizen that is being accused of a crime? Would you expect Apple to protect the rights of the American Citizen?

I honestly do not know the legal standing of a Foreign nation in our court system. 

I agree with this. And I think the US Patent Office should pull Apples Patent until they comply with the court order.

I agree with this. And I think the US Patent Office should pull Apples Patent until they comply with the court order.

Really?  So Apple is not allowed to challenge the court order like ANY OTHER person or business?   

If we're going for the crazy anarchy suggestion why stop at pulling the patent?  Why not just start shooting Apple executives one by one?

Edited by Black Bellamy

I have held back my opinion but I side with Apple. They designed a phone that protected ones right to privacy. The federal government comes along and says "no good. You have to design a way to for us to get into that phone". Apple is responsible to their customer to protect the product they sold. I have no problem with the Government finding their own way into that phone. But you can't force Apple to destroy their own product.

The unintended consequences of Apple being forced into doing this will be very damaging. Is it worth it?