Your Biggest DIY Screw Up??

Lawdwaz

Instructions...... I call em Destructions.  Sometimes you may as well try to read the other language. Like the "use bolt A in side D counter rotate one and a half turns to side C" see image in picture #3. Read that again hon?????

Here's a beaut; I turned a closet into a half bath. I centered the light fixture on the back wall, but the vanity is centered to the narrowest point, which is the correct position for it. So now the fixture isn't centered and moving the junction box is going to be a royal PITA d18b2cec933638d2a181f21973265165.jpg

Ideas to fix or workaround are welcome

• Like 1

Here's a beaut; I turned a closet into a half bath. I centered the light fixture on the back wall, but the vanity is centered to the narrowest point, which is the correct position for it. So now the fixture isn't centered and moving the junction box is going to be a royal PITA d18b2cec933638d2a181f21973265165.jpg

get a fixture that sits on a square or rectangular base and slide it over till its centered on the wall. I think the backs are pretty much open for wiring so room to play with......maybe, or at least it will cover the hole if you have to move it.

post-2073-0-73438300-1457974760_thumb.jp

Edited by jjb4900
  • Like 1

Is that a thing?? Ive seen ones with rectangular bases but not that you could slide to one side, Ill have to go to a real lighting store and not Lowes. Thanks

I don't think so, but I think the part that goes over the box that has the threaded hole for the mounting screw can be played with a little or maybe you can make or modify something that would work???

get a fixture that sits on a square or rectangular base and slide it over till its centered on the wall. I think the backs are pretty much open for wiring so room to play with......maybe, or at least it will cover the hole if you have to move it.

attachicon.gifAllston-2-Light-Vanity-Light-CHLH2654.jpg

That's probably not quite the right fixture for what you're talking about, but I agree with the idea. Something a little bigger and more ornate would give more wiggle room. :rolleyes:

That's probably not quite the right fixture for what you're talking about, but I agree with the idea. Something a little bigger and more ornate would give more wiggle room. :rolleyes:

that's what I'm thinking....I just grabbed that photo to show a base that would cover any mess.

• Like 1

vertical striped wallpaper with the lines and angle set from the center line of the counter to the center line of the fixture. Then set the toilet out of level (left side high) and it will appear straight to anyone sitting there...lol

• Like 3

"Focus on the good "

• Like 2

Simplest option: Choose a fairly wide 3-lamp fixture that has an 'ornate' feel to it and mount it normally on the box. Then, move the mirror over a bit to 'split the difference'.

Very few people will even notice it, and if someone busts your chops over it tell them there's another bathroom they can use. :rolleyes:

I've done this several times when a customer makes a last-minute vanity change or something. Even after I clearly point out both the problem and the solution, they generally have a hard time even seeing the 'problem'. Don't sweat it, the bath looks great. 

• Like 2

Simplest option: Choose a fairly wide 3-lamp fixture that has an 'ornate' feel to it and mount it normally on the box. Then, move the mirror over a bit to 'split the difference'.

Very few people will even notice it, and if someone busts your chops over it tell them there's another bathroom they can use. :rolleyes:

I've done this several times when a customer makes a last-minute vanity change or something. Even after I clearly point out both the problem and the solution, they generally have a hard time even seeing the 'problem'. Don't sweat it, the bath looks great. 

Makes sense to me, I will run it past "corporate"

remember, others may miss the smallest imperfection, but if you're anything like me, your eyes will always be drawn towards it and it'll drive you nuts.

I always pick out these little things, everywhere I go. But I've been building since 1977, and I've learned to let some things go, especially when it comes to remodeling.

I almost had a debacle this past weekend. Wife wanted 55lb. Mirror hung over a glass console table. The two hangers on the backing on the mirror were like 25" apart. My beams are 16" apart, so I went 1 beam and 1 wall anchor rated to 110lbs.

Hung it up and checked a few hours later to see the wall anchor drooping big time. Guess it wasn't going to hold much longer and would have been a very very costly crash through the table and wood floor.

Took it down changed the back to 16" and went on 2 beams. I escaped a catastrophe because surely everything would have had to be replaced if it fell.

4d697b9ebc988b71224fb227cdf4d189.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I almost had a debacle this past weekend. Wife wanted 55lb. Mirror hung over a glass console table. The two hangers on the backing on the mirror were like 25" apart. My beams are 16" apart, so I went 1 beam and 1 wall anchor rated to 110lbs.

Hung it up and checked a few hours later to see the wall anchor drooping big time. Guess it wasn't going to hold much longer and would have been a very very costly crash through the table and wood floor.

Took it down changed the back to 16" and went on 2 beams. I escaped a catastrophe because surely everything would have had to be replaced if it fell.

4d697b9ebc988b71224fb227cdf4d189.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dude, you're one of those people who put up picture frames with the photos that come in them when you buy them aren't you ? :rolleyes: