Trout Fishing Question

DirtTime

I have never used a fly-rod. I tried once, and it just wasn't for me.

For stream fishing I just stuck with ultra-light rods and reels. Thinking of getting back into stream fishing after a long time ( I got more into bass fishing and never looked back ), so just curious what people think.

Anyone else fish the streams this way?

Sure, plenty of guys use ultralight spinning rigs.  Completely different things though, as you know.

When I was a kid (12-16) I fished a ton with both but spent quite a bit of time fly fishing with a buddy.  We fished Springwater Creek, Cohocton River, Naples Creek and lots of farm ponds.  I was never very good at it but did enjoy it.  Cortland line on the Eagle Claw rod/reel combo is all I had at that age.  I had an old Herter's vice and tied plenty of flies of my own design.....................WEIRD ass things that they were. :)

AS I got older (17+) I REALLY got interested in women and fly fishing took a back seat (kind of a pun) to chasing split tail. For 20+ years I'd head down to Naples Creek for old times sake.  My uncle had a camp in the area so it was an easy deal.  We didn't fish much, just drove around drinking coffee and smoking a cigar or two.   We'd stop for breakfast at the Redwood then head over to the fire hall and check the boards.    If we had time, we would stop at Sutton's and peruse the isles; creaking floors only adding to the aura of the place.  Good times.............................

So in a nutshell, I haven't fly fished in MANY years and don't need to.  Spin fishing it is.....as long as I can have my breakfast and cigars. :)

• Like 1

Sure, plenty of guys use ultralight spinning rigs.  Completely different things though, as you know.

When I was a kid (12-16) I fished a ton with both but spent quite a bit of time fly fishing with a buddy.  We fished Springwater Creek, Cohocton River, Naples Creek and lots of farm ponds.  I was never very good at it but did enjoy it.  Cortland line on the Eagle Claw rod/reel combo is all I had at that age.  I had an old Herter's vice and tied plenty of flies of my own design.....................WEIRD ass things that they were. :)

AS I got older (17+) I REALLY got interested in women and fly fishing took a back seat (kind of a pun) to chasing split tail. For 20+ years I'd head down to Naples Creek for old times sake.  My uncle had a camp in the area so it was an easy deal.  We didn't fish much, just drove around drinking coffee and smoking a cigar or two.   We'd stop for breakfast at the Redwood then head over to the fire hall and check the boards.    If we had time, we would stop at Sutton's and peruse the isles; creaking floors only adding to the aura of the place.  Good times.............................

So in a nutshell, I haven't fly fished in MANY years and don't need to.  Spin fishing it is.....as long as I can have my breakfast and cigars. :)

LOL.

Nothing wrong with chasing women.

Thanks for the input Law. I see the allure to fly-fishing. Just not for me. I never even owned one of those baskets. I had a coupe of the old nylon stringers tied together and would walk back to get it every hundred yards.

I stream fished almost every day for about 20 years. I liked a medium action 6' rod. 4lb test. a 6 footer gave me a little more reach in smaller streams/brooks. I only go a handful of times a year now but I use the same set up.

I fish Naples creek pretty hard every year. My rig is an old fly rod (not sure what weight, but it's pretty heavy) & a spinning reel spooled with Trilene XL 12Lb, in Lo-vis green. That line is pretty hard to see, but this year I'm going to add a fluorocarbon leader to see if that increases the strikes.

On a side note, the trout are already way up the creek. I saw them way up in the woods last week, where the water is only 2 or 3 feet wide. That's not good. I'm afraid they'll be done spawning, & gone back to the lake by the 1st.

The fly rod absorbs a lot of shock, so the fish really can't get an edge on me too easy. It's nice because it gives you a lot of leverage. It also allows you to stand back from the edge and fish smaller holes without showing yourself to the fish.

• Like 2

The fly rod absorbs a lot of shock, so the fish really can't get an edge on me too easy. It's nice because it gives you a lot of leverage. It also allows you to stand back from the edge and fish smaller holes without showing yourself to the fish.

Same goes with a little bit longer spinning rods. Thats why I like the 6 footers.

• Like 1

How would that be different from a light weight open face set up? 

I fish Naples creek pretty hard every year. My rig is an old fly rod (not sure what weight, but it's pretty heavy) & a spinning reel spooled with Trilene XL 12Lb, in Lo-vis green. That line is pretty hard to see, but this year I'm going to add a fluorocarbon leader to see if that increases the strikes.

On a side note, the trout are already way up the creek. I saw them way up in the woods last week, where the water is only 2 or 3 feet wide. That's not good. I'm afraid they'll be done spawning, & gone back to the lake by the 1st.

Wow really...when do they shock gotta be soon right?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

So, so far, I am not alone. To make sure I am specific, using an open face ( spinner ) with a light weight set up will work just fine?

Yes! The pack rod I carried had both a spinner and fly casting reel and reversible handle to fit both. I warn you approach streams & brooks carefully and if possible being mindful of where you cast your shadow. Stream fish spook easy! If you're up to the challenge try 4 or 2 pound line.

How would that be different from a light weight open face set up?

My spinning reels are open faced, & thats where the similarities end.

The fly rod is probably over twice as long as an ultralight. That gives it more leverage to fight the fish with. The flexibility of the longer pole prevents the fish from exerting as much shock on the line, as the rod absorbs most of it. As a result, you can be much more controlling when fighting a large fish. It allows you to horse them a little more, provided your drag is properly set.

Those are important things when fighting large fish in small streams, where brush and rocks can quickly break line, should a hooked fish get too much room to run.

Also, being able to stand back 6' from the bank and present bait to a fish in a 10" deep by 2' wide pool, is a huge advantage that would be impossible with an ultralight. Trout that see you, will not hit, period.

I'm no expert, this is just what I was taught, & have experienced.

Edited by Skillet
  • Like 1

I love fishing streams for trout. I grew up doing it with my uncle. I remember a few years back he took me to this old bridge over a stream that didn't look like it would hold much fish. Real small. He told me it was his secret spot and to throw a worm on a hook and toss it under the bridge. I must have cast under that thing 15 times thinking it was a waste of time. Then WHAM! Pulled out a beauty 17.5" brown. He smiled and said, "told ya so."