Anterless Only!!

G-Man

That is why I think the BEST solution is to offer a special season in those areas with a gun that is outside of what is currently available. Early or late I would definitely take part in it, This year during the "mandate" I opted to hunt elsewhere.

The main question is why did you hunt elsewhere? As hunters management fall on us, if a week before gun was doe only how many would participate? Seems most would not using yourself and others I know for example... so like WI is doing whole bow and gun doe only in certain areas...

The main question is why did you hunt elsewhere? As hunters management fall on us, if a week before gun was doe only how many would participate? Seems most would not using yourself and others I know for example... so like WI is doing whole bow and gun doe only in certain areas...

In that area I take does every chance I get. It was part protest but also not wanting to over pressure the area for future opportunities for a buck. I went to where I could take either. That is why I keep saying to expand hunter opportunity by adding to h season and use that as antler less. only. It will get very good participation that way

One major problem in the doe only areas from last season is access...I have hunted and lived in that area my whole life and manage to take a doe off the stateland every year....but I also log more time and miles than most I know or have met....there is so many farms that have 0 access and limited pressure the deer know to go there....I have drivin down the road mid day during season and people have deer feeding or bedded in yards...only few 100 feet from stateland.....the dec will never get the population under control until late they figure out a way to get landowners to open some area up for at least a few weeks a year....maybe late season? Maybe a January doe only season....idk what the answer is but until access is solved the doe problem won't be

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Edited by stoneam2006

I don't know about a January season. That might backfire as most doe will be preggers by then.

I wouldn't mind Thanksgiving weekend from Thurs-Sunday doe only during the regular season. Maybe even the entire week after Thanksgiving doe only?

I would not hunt if it was doe only, just like last years first 2 weeks of bow.  Bet Wisconsin will have the same issue!  They will just go to another county.  Flawed logic!  Snipers will fix it?  lmao

Even though we had a bad year in sightings this past season the DEC will state that the population is out of control and try to kill as many doe as possible. 

What year did the DEC state: "No doe needed to be culled because we meet our goals"?  It will never happen, ever.  So in the interest of self preservation the DEC will always state :  "The deer numbers are to high we need to cull more!"

One major problem in the doe only areas from last season is access...I have hunted and lived in that area my whole life and manage to take a doe off the stateland every year....but I also log more time and miles than most I know or have met....there is so many farms that have 0 access and limited pressure the deer know to go there....I have drivin down the road mid day during season and people have deer feeding or bedded in yards...only few 100 feet from stateland.....the dec will never get the population under control until late they figure out a way to get landowners to open some area up for at least a few weeks a year....maybe late season? Maybe a January doe only season....idk what the answer is but until access is solved the doe problem won't be

Phade has said it many times. while it may not be easy access areas they have to get permits into the hands of the ones that have access to allow for the harvest. Heck second draw permits aren't even available until November 1st.

What you mention is one reason why I like the early September with guns. They aren't in their hidieholes yet and should be the most vulnerable. Would also give them time to get back to some form a normal before the season. Once the chasing and rut kicks in the movement will push them around as usual. 

As far as access, let's face it. We see it here in posts all the time. Hunters can be pretty lazy. I know I might put in some extra leg work to open up a new property if I had an extra opportunity. I've thought about doing it down around Ithaca but it is just too far to make it worth wild.  I live in one of the high pop areas. I probably would try to get more access if I could stretch my season. 

Why not just extend the season until the end of December then and make that doe only? The two+ etra weeks would help. I know I would rather have a continued season rather then a break up in between.

Personally with what I see in terms of increased daylight deer activity going into late season, (Drop in hunter pressure at the end of regular season) I think a break would make it more beneficial. They would be returning to food and more day light travel. And I woulnd't get nearly as much crap from the wife if it was after the holidays...lol

• Like 2

I honestly think you'd have minimal buck kills that were mistaken for a doe in January.  especially with mild winters like we've had this year where deer are less stressed much of buck population will still be holding head gear.  I truly think there is really no way to fix access.  only way to account for it is expanding on opportunity and more importantly getting more involved.  if someone wants to shoot a doe in a problem area and they can't get a tag or it or have to pay $10 I think that's a problem.  if you're going back for more then sure pay for an over the counter tag.  if you're willing and want them you shouldn't be turned away.  I also think many stop shooting doe when the opportunity is perfect because the structure in when we can use our tags is limiting.  "i don't want to fill my either sex bow/ml tag with a doe, because then I can't shoot a buck 'til regular season." is a statement that's a problem.  you should be able to fill any of them during any season you have paid the privilege to hunt in.

• Like 1

The one thing I noticed from last season, is a few people were denied DMP's in areas that are high probability rates.

My hunting will be done in two WMU's this fall, one has a high probability rate and high to get more. One is low and no chance to get more.

DEC wants hunters to kill more does, then issue the DMP's, I have no issue with the $10 per cost as long as I walk out with the permits. Points are for football.

The one thing I noticed from last season, is a few people were denied DMP's in areas that are high probability rates.

My hunting will be done in two WMU's this fall, one has a high probability rate and high to get more. One is low and no chance to get more.

DEC wants hunters to kill more does, then issue the DMP's, I have no issue with the $10 per cost as long as I walk out with the permits. Points are for football.

Well that's the thing this entire conversation only applies to a small section of the state.

• Like 1

A point that many are missing concerning last year's 2-week "antlerless-only" zones is the effect of hunting pressure on daylight activity, especially with an abundance of acorns like we have had over the past couple seasons. Why would deer come out in the daylight after they detect pressure, if they can meet their food needs in a few minutes of activity at night?

I watched groups of antlerless deer feeding in clover fields every evening, starting up to an hour prior to sunset at both my folk's place and my place over those first two weeks last season. That activity ended at each location by the third week of archery season, long before the x-bow became legal. I am certain I could have filled at least (2) DMPS at those locations, had I been able to use my x-bow during those first two weeks. I have to believe there are many more folks in similar positions.

I also don't believe an early gun or ML season is the answer because the loud report of those weapons will force the deer nocturnal even faster. The crossbow's huge advantage over a compound/recurve/longbow of not needing to draw with groups of deer in close doesn't seem to be grasped or understood by many here. How many times have you been busted when you drew your bow on a group of antlerless deer without getting a shot? How many times has that shot, if taken resulted in a missed or wounded deer? There is less worry of that with a crossbow, which can be slowly moved into firing position. Any prey animal is naturally tuned to pick up quick, threatening motions, like a draw, but slow motions usually go unnoticed.

There will always be wounded and missed deer regardless of weapon, and the crossbow is not immune. What is wrong with allowing a weapon that clearly takes less time and effort to develop proficiency to be used? I do believe that the crossbow could be a "wonder weapon" for getting doe populations under control for the two reasons stated above (no draw needed and minimal noise), but only if it can be deployed at the very start of the season. It looks like we might just see that this fall. I can't wait to have at them.

To those folks who do not want full inclusion, and fear the negative affects on their own hunting experiences, try looking at the positives. The sky has not fallen in the forty some other states which have allowed it. It appears that the your struggle will end soon in NY but think of it as a new beginning and not the end. If nothing else, when age finally catches up to you, it should extend your own time in the woods by a few seasons.

Edited by wolc123

Well that's the thing this entire conversation only applies to a small section of the state.

That's how the original post was, it was about one county in WI. But, it has expanded as threads do, to be about the "What If's" of NYS.

Perhaps if more DPM's were issued in those "High Probality" areas, more doe would be killed.

Here's last years outlook on DMP's:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/30409.html

It seems like most of NY's hunters would kill more does, but they don't want to be told when to do it. So DMP's seem to be more of a factor and possible solution then altering the seasons.

The spots that have the 2 week doe season I get 4 dmp every year my dad gets 4 anyone who wants them can get 4

we got 1 out of 5 applicants where we hunt in the Catskills....just goes to show how varied the state is.

• Like 1

we got 1 out of 5 applicants where we hunt in the Catskills....just goes to show how varied the state is.

Yea where I live in get one every 3 years but where my dad lives it's as many as we want...it's crazy how drastic it changes and where I hunt in adks can only shoot doe archery and muzzle season

I don't know about a January season. That might backfire as most doe will be preggers by then.

I wouldn't mind Thanksgiving weekend from Thurs-Sunday doe only during the regular season. Maybe even the entire week after Thanksgiving doe only?

I hunt the January season in Tompkins County every year.  It's in January for a reason, to prevent does who are bred from giving birth.  Essentially, 2 deer for 1 kind of deal.  I've never even been able to tell weather or not a doe was pregnant when field dressing it.  I'm sure if I looked hard enough, but I'm not one to dig through the gut pile.  I just leave it for the yotes and  get my deer in the truck.

• Like 1

I hunt the January season in Tompkins County every year.  It's in January for a reason, to prevent does who are bred from giving birth.  Essentially, 2 deer for 1 kind of deal.  I've never even been able to tell weather or not a doe was pregnant when field dressing it.  I'm sure if I looked hard enough, but I'm not one to dig through the gut pile.  I just leave it for the yotes and  get my deer in the truck.

The Tompkins County late season isn't an actual season. It's a special season for the Ithaca area to cull herds.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/82382.html

Like was said, all this is prudent to your area.

I looked too hard one year...wish I hadn't, but when you consider that you just killed an animal and are already arm deep in it's guts it's not that disturbing.