now is your chance to tell D.E.C. WHATS WRONG WITH DEER MANAGEMENT

hunterman7956

Speaking from experience (in Pa) these type of meetings can be very educational and informative. I suggest an open mind about what may be proposed for future management decisions.

Personally, I'm an advocate for management decisions based on improving the habitat for future generations of hunters

and deer/wildlife. I like ideals which promote increased opportunity for hunters that will at the same time benefit

habitat and deer. Much of the problem with this opinion or any other opinion is taking into account the total picture.

Another words, NY State is a big, diverse State with varying habitat and deer conditions. It would be difficult at best

to have a single plan for the entire State. Hopefully, the DEC has the resources necessary to properly determine

plans which would best fit each area within the State.

If you want more ideas on deer management check out the Pa Game Commission website under "deer". There's a slew of

information on different aspects of deer management utilized today and what has been done in the past. The more educated you are about the subject at hand will help in presenting your opinion to DEC. You will certainly be more respected by

them and those in the crowd for having done your homework.

Good Luck!!

• Like 1

Went to one years ago, in Middletown. It accomplished nothing, in my opinion. Incidentally, for all intensive purposes, I'm an ex-hunter, since I lost all my hunting spots to development. The DEC noted the immense amount of habitat destruction in this area, claimed they would communicate with the "towns", and that never happened. They simply don't care about certain areas of the state, but they sure want your money though. Can't stand them.

I can be as harsh a critic of the DEC as anybody, but even I have to recognize what a difficult job it must be to take on some of the major problems that have developed over the years. Just looking at the diversity of conditions, habitat, culture, and populations kind of points up the difficulty factor. And then consider that the majority of NYS that the DEC is responsible for is privately held properties that they have no direct management of. Lately, I tend to soft-pedal my criticisms quite a bit.

The only thing that still can get to me is the arrogant attitudes of infallibility that comes out at most of these kinds of communications to the public. When you listen to their presentations, they seem to be selling the fact that they have everything under control, and it is only the stupid sportsmen who are too ignorant to understand how perfectly they are able to manage all things concerning the environment. Sometimes I think they would get a whole lot more support if they would drop the arrogance and admit that they don't really have everything under control and likely never will have that capability. 

Anyway, I will once again listen to their story and try to sift through what has a high likelihood of being fact vs. what is wishful thinking.

• Like 7

I can be as harsh a critic of the DEC as anybody, but even I have to recognize what a difficult job it must be to take on some of the major problems that have developed over the years. Just looking at the diversity of conditions, habitat, culture, and populations kind of points up the difficulty factor. And then consider that the majority of NYS that the DEC is responsible for is privately held properties that they have no direct management of. Lately, I tend to soft-pedal my criticisms quite a bit.

The only thing that still can get to me is the arrogant attitudes of infallibility that comes out at most of these kinds of communications to the public. When you listen to their presentations, they seem to be selling the fact that they have everything under control, and it is only the stupid sportsmen who are too ignorant to understand how perfectly they are able to manage all things concerning the environment. Sometimes I think they would get a whole lot more support if they would drop the arrogance and admit that they don't really have everything under control and likely never will have that capability. 

Anyway, I will once again listen to their story and try to sift through what has a high likelihood of being fact vs. what is wishful thinking.

Well said Doc. I agree 100% with you on this.

being around the capital district and dealing with the state, you can't just tell them they're failing and what they NEED to do.  it'll just promote selective hearing.  dealing with any state entity you have to ignore the their persuasions that they've got everything under control.  no state entity is going to be open about screwing up unless it's blatantly obvious to the general public.  none of this deer management stuff is, even though some of us hunters can clearly see it.  instead you relentlessly bring something up as a "concern by the public in general".  also in open public meetings be polite and "put the spin" on your concern same as DEC does.  others in the crowd may very well may back you up.

• Like 3

I'll buy that, Doc. I think one of the biggest problems, is that the DEC is into too many things these days. Years ago, they seemed like they were doing a good job. Of course, that was before they were tasked with fifty million other issues.

• Like 1

I'm really quite content with deer management... I would.like to see crossbow in all of archery, and a return to monday gun opener.. was more of a camp experiance then guys would cone out fri, we'd go visit camps or head into town , do the same on sat along with some camp chores.. sunday relax at camp , big dinner and early to bed.. that comroderie is missed by today's hunters, not to mention economic loss to all the small towns ...

• Like 3

How would you know that it didn't?

Common sense. The paper most certainly would have reported it, and the DEC effectively admitted it to me when I called (the Region 3 biologist, at least, who seems to be the only honest one there). Any other questions?

Common sense. The paper most certainly would have reported it, and the DEC effectively admitted it to me when I called (the Region 3 biologist, at least, who seems to be the only honest one there). Any other questions?

nope. You answered. You don't know. You just know the paper did t know and the biologist didn't know.

I think unless the dec agrees with an idea different than the current approach the only way to see change is to have documented survey with data that 1) swing behind just the majority and 2) can be FOIA requested.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nope. You answered. You don't know. You just know the paper did t know and the biologist didn't know.

You're in luck. I love a good fight. So, please enlighten me, oh wise one, as to how you could possibly even speculate as to what the local biologist, or myself, know.

• Like 1

The only hot air I've heard, is from your mouth. I don't know, or care, who you think you are. I'm not impressed. I dealt with far worse over the years. Maybe you're buddies with the DEC-that's your problem. I tell it as I've heard it, and seen it. Quite frankly, I couldn't care less what you've got to say. Hell, I don't remember asking for your opinion to begin with. I don't butt into your conversations, so stay the hell out of mine.

I'm really quite content with deer management... I would.like to see crossbow in all of archery, and a return to monday gun opener.. was more of a camp experiance then guys would cone out fri, we'd go visit camps or head into town , do the same on sat along with some camp chores.. sunday relax at camp , big dinner and early to bed.. that comroderie is missed by today's hunters, not to mention economic loss to all the small towns ...

The only hot air I've heard, is from your mouth. I don't know, or care, who you think you are. I'm not impressed. I dealt with far worse over the years. Maybe you're buddies with the DEC-that's your problem. I tell it as I've heard it, and seen it. Quite frankly, I couldn't care less what you've got to say. Hell, I don't remember asking for your opinion to begin with. I don't butt into your conversations, so stay the hell out of mine.

says the guy posting on the internet...lmfao.

• Like 3

And you're not? Seriously, am I supposed to be afraid of you, or something?

Afraid? Man you have issues. I simply asked how you knew and you were the one with the sarcastic response. "Any more questions". Then you get a case of burned a$$ because someone engaged you based on a comment you made on a PUBLIC forum and say to stay out of YOUR conversation. Now you asking if I was threatening you? Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 4