Big Game/Small Game Hunting License Fee Increase

wztirem

How much are you willing to pay for the opportunity to hunt deer and small game in NY?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. How much are you willing to pay for the opportunity to hunt deer and small game in NY?

• $29.00
    • Lower the fee
    • $58.00
    • $75.00
    • I will pay anything the state asks!

It should be considered a TAX just like any other state tax.  The amount charged should only be equal to the amount needed for operations and not one dollar more.

Lower taxes and smaller government can only be realized if every dollar the state charges citizens is scrutinized.  Otherwise you will see fees and various user charges for everything you want to do in this state.

VERY VERY good point!

Problem with DEC funding is the sources are mixed and accounting is difficult.

Pittman-Robertson Money; license fees, life time sales, general fund......

Right now the DEC Officers are working with out a contract and have been for several years. When they do get one, it will be retroactive for several years pay and benefit increases in lump sum distribution......where will those millions come from?

Right now the DEC Officers are working with out a contract and have been for several years. When they do get one, it will be retroactive for several years pay and benefit increases in lump sum distribution......where will those millions come from?

Are you saying they should not get a raise? 

Not when taxpayers from the private sector that pay for that raise..aren't getting raises..NO

Trying this from a phone, hope it works.....

No....political appointed idiots should have done a contract years ago because it was their job. All they did was keep delaying and posturing.

• 2 weeks later...

This will be my first year hunting NY as a non-res and have no problem paying $280 for the super sportsman as it includes so much. I could belly ache and whine how I am a property owner and pay taxes etc. But why? I feel it's a fair price for one to enjoy the great outdoors NY has to offer.

This will be my first year hunting NY as a non-res and have no problem paying $280 for the super sportsman as it includes so much. I could belly ache and whine how I am a property owner and pay taxes etc. But why? I feel it's a fair price for one to enjoy the great outdoors NY has to offer.

Lol.... I'm sure they will be happy to hear that. License costs will continue to up and up as long as nobody squawks about it. The more we say we will pay ....... the more we will pay. It could be the best deal going, and I would still never admit it publicly. That's probably the quickest way to make a good deal go away and be replaced by a "not-so-good" deal. :P  It's kind of like those that I have heard who defend higher taxes. What..... are you crazy? Those kinds of thoughts are better kept to one's self. Those government types do just fine in the department of reaching into your back pocket without any encouragement from us.

License fees are gonna go up and up. As long as there is less and less hunter's every year. They have to fill the void. And like gas prices and everything else that continues to rise. People will continue to pay. Just hope I never see the day when I will have to take out a personal loan to hunt.

has anyone paid attention to the results of this survey so far.. the question is how much are you willing to pay? 12 guys voted lessen the fee... that would mean that those 12 guys are not willing to pay the current price... does that mean that they won't be hunting? Of course everyone might be happy if the price went down.. but that wasn't the question. This is how surveys get skewed... I'm sure that those 12 guys are willing to pay at least the current fee and I'll bet they would pay more... to continue to hunt.

I am one of the 12 & my thoughts are we as hunters keep saying we must get the youth into hunting but the license fees keep going up, the prices of guns, ammo., camo, boots, etc. all go up. What blue collar worker can afford to get his kids into the sport today? Then we have gas prices going up and now days its tough to go & buy hunting property by ones self or you need a hunting lease which are nuts too! Jmo.

A few more thoughts, I fish lake erie & ontario. I only hunt for deer & spring turkey and it cost me $98.00 to get what I need. I feel we should only pay for what we hunt for. I am at the age that I am to old for a life time license to justifie the cost now & when I was young they did not have them.  Again Jmo.

365 days to fish, 4 weeks of turkey hunting and aprox 9 to 10 weeks of deer hunting - comes out to pennies a day. For comparison only.

Lol .... you know, most of every budget item comes out "pennies a day". Some more pennies than others. And yet when you tally up all those "pennies" each month, there's nothing cheap about the result. That's how a lot of us justify all of our non-essential expenses ...... pennies a day.

But this expense is different. This is a government controlled expense, and as long as we keep telling them that we are satisfied, they will keep cranking the price. That's kind of like telling your legislators that you are happy with the taxation level. Guess how that little piece of news might effect your taxes in the future. :)

Missing the point... thread is about how much you are willing to pay...we all like cheaper prices... but if you answered lower the fee... that means that you are not willing to pay the current fee and will not be hunting.

I'd like to know where would the breaking point be for most guys  that would make you not buy a hunting license? How much are you "willing" to pay?

"To achieve the overall savings target, the Executive Budget proposes a 10 percent year-toyear

reduction to State agencies financed from the General Fund,"

The above quote was excerpted from the 2011-2012 NYS Proposed Budget. Will this 10% decrease lead to increased hunting fees?

Well ....We all..... husband son father in-law got the life time...our son doled out over 900.00 for all of his....now our daughter hunts as well...but not last year....for the few times she gets to hunt a year due to work and in general life...she wouldn't spend the money...when you grow up hunting for meat  the cash verses benefits changes...and that is going to keep new hunters out of the field ....then that tricks down to out of the stores...so they aren't loosing just conservation funds but a great deal in tax revenue from product sales...that goes to the general tax revenue....and we all know just how much that can ad up to :) ...but see.....how much is that ever considered?....I ML...but by the time I finish an entire season of bow and then reg gun....It's so close to the holidays and I'm usually too tired ...I didn't bother getting the life time ML...and I didn't by over the counter either....If prices go up...I won't....I can use my bow then if I have tags left...which I usually do...there goes the tax revenue on Blk powder ...bullets...ect

A few more thoughts, I fish lake erie & ontario. I only hunt for deer & spring turkey and it cost me $98.00 to get what I need. I feel we should only pay for what we hunt for. I am at the age that I am to old for a life time license to justifie the cost now & when I was young they did not have them.  Again Jmo.

$98... divided by the number of days you get to deer hunt and turkey hunt.. still comes out to about $1 a day... thats a hell of a deal to do something you really enjoy.