Here is a insert from the "NYS Safe Act" language:

"While at a recognized range, whether you are there for recreation or for participating in shooting competitions, you may load the full ten rounds into any magazine you have. Starting on April 15, 2013, you are limited to putting 7 rounds in the magazine in all other locations."

Here is a article where a guy in Niagara county lost all of his weapons and pistol permit for  having 10 rounds in a legally owned and registered pistol during a traffic stop. I understand he got everything back after a long fight but it took a long time and lots of money. I personally don't want the hassle and figure If I can't hit a deer after 7 rounds the other 3 aren't going to help. 10 could be nice in a self defense situation but again the first 7 would hopefully get the job done. If not I can put another clip in. Until I know for sure I can carry 10 I will carry 7.

http://www.guns.com/2014/03/01/judge-rules-constitutional-rights-violated-case-man-charged-safe-act/

Rob

My thoughts are if I am walking out of the woods or have it on while driving home and happen to get stopped I am not "hunting". If a officer wants to check it and finds out I have more than 7 in the magazine I am in trouble. That is why I only carry seven. I usually have two magazines but never have more than seven in them because of the safe act. Same thing with my 9mm which has a capacity of 10.

As far as the .40 I mostly carry it in case one comes in on the blind side & can't get the long gun up without being spotted, or one comes in really close. The longest shot I made on a deer was approx. 40-45 yds. I don't practice enough to be more proficient. At the time I bought it the 10 mm. had not come out yet and it was the closest thing I could find to the ballistics of a .357. The .44 mag. was way to much gun for me and after the 10mm came out I found that a little beefy as well.

What I do like about the .40 s&w is the wide variety of loads you can shoot out of it. Mine is pretty accurate, and the knock down power has been good. Probably not for everyone but it works for me.

But then again I am one of those guys that shoots them with a .223 instead of the higher calibers so it could be taken with a grain of salt. Regardless of the gun or caliber what I look for is accuracy, how I like to shoot it, and will it do the job. ACCURACY is first with me!

10mm came out before the 40 the 40 was designed as a lighter recoiling 10mm.

• 1 month later...