Ideas for removing lilac trees

Jeremy K

I have 2 well established lilac trees (2 large clumps to be exact) Some of the branches are close to contacting the power lines . I'm not sure how long these things have been there but 75 percent of them are dead ,not producing any flowers.  Is it gonna be just alot of digging and cutting ? If i leave some standing ,will they pull out of the ground with some minor digging and cutting ? 

Thanks

if they are NOT nor can touch lines then saw them off as close to the ground as you can. Now you can choose to see if they will send out new growth if you like lilacs or just hit the cuts with a brush killer. You want dead roots because there will be lots of them...if you want to dig them out.... kill roots now, dig in the late summer fall...but be sure to have a sharp shovel, sharp ax, and a good amount of fill dirt...

Edited by growalot

Not interested in trimming to bring them back , i want to get some apple trees in the yard and they're in my way . When i say they are close to the powerlines , there is a couple small twigs touching the phone lines .

• Like 1

Planting in the fall is the plan ,  I figure that gives me all summer to get these things out with little rush on the job . I figure i can do a little digging and chopping in between diaper changes . With any luck , Archer will be old enough to think its cool to go outside and eat fruit off a tree in the back yard.

• Like 1

I dug out a dead lilac bush 2 years ago. It wasn't as well established as yours sounds. Have fun , nice root system and ours was tucked up next to the house so couldn't dig from house side out. Oh yeah , I think I picked hottest day of the year so you may be on track with that project this weekend too ????

I dug out a dead lilac bush 2 years ago. It wasn't as well established as yours sounds. Have fun , nice root system and ours was tucked up next to the house so couldn't dig from house side out. Oh yeah , I think I picked hottest day of the year so you may be on track with that project this weekend too ????

I'm such a complete pansy with the heat ,i'd rather do it in the rain then the heat.

The bottom lines are communication lines i.e. Phone and cable . Since you said they are almost reaching or touching I assume then it's the bottom ones . Power lines are above those and the safety gap between communication and power .

Wires down is a very common call for us , it's almost always the lower as that's what trucks hit and tear down . We walk up cut the line with.wire cutter , coil up the rest , Mark it with yellow tape, to,try and keep every passerby from calling it in again .....

And have dispatch call cable or phone co .

I dug out some Lilacs that were over grown soon after we moved In 20 years Ago, I still take grief from my wife about that . The other day I stopped along the road and cut a few off a lilac tree( bush ?) and brought them home so,the house smells nice and she's happy.

Edited by Larry302

LOL...this isn't criticism...makes me laugh...money over brawn...Well you know this old birds song...cheap cheap cheap cheap... ;)

I dug that old pine stump out last year , i broke 2 axes and it took me a week everyday after work of digging and chopping . I just don't know if i can come up with that much free time right now. I could probably free up one day and just get it done or stretch it out all summer. 

• Like 1

I dug that old pine stump out last year , i broke 2 axes and it took me a week everyday after work of digging and chopping . I just don't know if i can come up with that much free time right now. I could probably free up one day and just get it done or stretch it out all summer.

LOL...this isn't criticism...makes me laugh...money over brawn...Well you know this old birds song...cheap cheap cheap cheap... ;)

That's it for me to money over time...between work kids and other hobbies I need things to go fast so I always take easy fast route even if cost a little more money....good luck with your project

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I understand...If you want to save some $$$ and you have a good truck  do the saw  work but leave 2-3 ft of trunk... kill like I said applying a good brush killer to the stumps. Then cut the roots all around the clumps, like your making a root ball.  If you have a flat "edger spade" and a post pounder it is great at cutting the bigger roots... Then hook a chain to the remaining stumps and yank her out this fall.

I understand...If you want to save some $$$ and you have a good truck  do the saw  work but leave 2-3 ft of trunk... kill like I said applying a good brush killer to the stumps. Then cut the roots all around the clumps, like your making a root ball.  If you have a flat "edger spade" and a post pounder it is great at cutting the bigger roots... Then hook a chain to the remaining stumps and yank her out this fall.

Rock salt works good too.