Dead Gorilla

the blur

I've read some reports that it took the kids several minutes to make it through the obstacles before he was able to enter the gorilla pen.  The mother was busy trying to take the perfect selfie at the time.  Multiple witnesses said that the kid was hammering about entering the gorilla pen for several minutes but yes, kids do say the darnedest things.  Those witnesses also said they watch the kid struggle for several minutes to enter the pen.

Several problems here if all of this is true.  #1. I understand when you take your eyes off of your kid for a split second, they can get into trouble.  But to take your eyes off of your kid for several minutes?  Forget that you're near a dangerous animal, what about the large crowd of people?  You're not afraid of your kid wandering off with some stranger?  #2.  If all these people saw a 4 year old scaling a fence and crawling through thick bushes, after they had heard him say he was going to go into the gorilla pen, no one said anything or tried to do something.  It's a total breakdown of society.

Lastly, I do honestly think the gorilla was trying to protect the kid but also, having never handled one, did not know how fragile there are.  He was probably threatened when the crowd start yelling more violent than what he was use to.  All the dragging he did with the kid was to eventually find a quieter corner which he settled into.

I think an innocent gorilla was killed.  I think the zoo did the right thing for killing it.  I think this whole tragic event could have been avoided if the mother would have paid more attention to her child.  I have a paid family membership to the Bronx Zoo so I take my son there several times a year since all my visits are free after my annual payment.  The Kodiak Bear and Polar Bear exhibit is setup the same way.  A wooden post fence, a think strip of bushes, and a moat separates the bears from the audience.  I have a firm grip of my son's hand at all times in that area.  Even in the children's petting zoo area, I'm still no more than an arms reach from him.  Not just for his safety but also just in case he grabs a chicken a little too violently so I'm also doing so for the animals sake.

• Like 10

#2.  If all these people saw a 4 year old scaling a fence and crawling through thick bushes, after they had heard him say he was going to go into the gorilla pen, no one said anything or tried to do something.  It's a total breakdown of society.

The same thought ran through my mind and mentioned it to my wife. She brought up a good point. a bystander that reacted and grabbed the kid as he was going through the barriers, probably would have been at least detained and maybe charges. I see more and more bystanders unwilling to get involved in anything becasue of personal liability. 

And as a side note and not directed to your comment Elmo,  Darwin probably would have had a few comments about what efforts should have been made to save the kid. 

What interests me more is the killer response team.   They must have a highly trained sniper team, on call 24x7.   They obviously have rifles on site.   They have a decision maker who issues the kill order.   No 2nd guessing.   Just shoot to kill within critical distance of a human being.

What interests me more is the killer response team.   They must have a highly trained sniper team, on call 24x7.   They obviously have rifles on site.   They have a decision maker who issues the kill order.   No 2nd guessing.   Just shoot to kill within critical distance of a human being.

I can't remember what zoo it was but it was in like Japan or Singapore or something like that where they routinely run simulated drills for when a dangerous animal escapes.  They have some dude dressed in a ridiculous lion costume run around the park.

What interests me more is the killer response team. They must have a highly trained sniper team, on call 24x7. They obviously have rifles on site. They have a decision maker who issues the kill order. No 2nd guessing. Just shoot to kill within critical distance of a human being.

not so sure you're wrapped real tight by your posts on this subject. IMO it's sorta sad the gorilla had to be put down Right thing to do but could have been avoided
  • Like 1

I'll bet everybody would have kept a closer eye on that child around these harmless "caged animals".

Pretty sure he wouldn't even have been able to get an admission ticket to this zoo.

Poor monkey...

post-233-0-30680000-1465318125_thumb.jpg

So.......... how did they kill the gorilla ??? What caliper? Head shot??? Body shot ???? Double lung ?? Is it on video ???

I want details !!!!!!!!!!

Not sure about the Gorilla.....

But I can tell you a male Chacma Baboon is no match for a 375H&H with 300 gr A-frames.

DSC00457_zpstzxbl5vy.jpg

Actually not too many of the troop liked those loads......

Not sure about the Gorilla.....

But I can tell you a male Chacma Baboon is no match for a 375H&H with 300 gr A-frames.

DSC00457_zpstzxbl5vy.jpg

Actually not too many of the troop liked those loads......

I'm sure your taxidermist wasn't too stoked either. I can only imagine it left a nice sized hole

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I'm sure your taxidermist wasn't too stoked either. I can only imagine it left a nice sized hole

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Thats a pretty stiff bullet and doesn't make big holes in small or thin skinned animals; one of the reasons it makes a great all around choice from small/petite  to large heavy bone tough game. 

I have the skull from that one bleached; but most Baboon hunting where I have been is predator control and have only had the time to cape one for a mount; they slip quick if not handled right away like most thin skin game.....

IMG_1038_zps9pgwxbov.jpg

• Like 1

I heard that they were actually trying to shoot the little boy, so that the gorilla wouldn't be upset or harmed, but missed and hit the gorilla…MOTHER F'ers!!!!! ….AND I heard that they used a .243 Win. !!!! Everyone knows that that round sucks!!!!

WTF???!

• Like 1

I wouldn't hesitate to use a .243 on anything.   Especially a head shoot.  Nothing is walking away.

I heard that the first two head shots, at the kid missed and that the third accidentally hit the gorilla in a very soft part of its otherwise very dense skull, and killed the poor innocent being,    :girlsad: ..Sons of Bitches!!!!!  Also the zoo was using cheap reload .243 ammo, in order to save money. Those cheap rounds are known for being inaccurate.!!!!!

• Like 2