NICS Is Wonky At Times

OK, so we wen't to a local gun shop today to get some ammo on the way to look at some houses. They had a used Savage Axis in 25-06 with a decent scope for $250. I bought my ammo and we left.

I talked to the g/f and we decided to stop on the way home and I was going to buy the rifle. I had to at that price!

I do the pc NICS check, after about 15 minutes the salesman says there was a delay of a few days and they would call me when it was done. OK. I pay him and we leave.

I wonder what the delay is? Last Summer I bought two guns on one day and came home with them on the same day. Last month when I bought the .22LR, I waited about an hour and came home with that the same day as well. Maybe the delay is because I just bought a gun last month?

Edited by ....rob

My nics check at a mom n pop gun store last week took all of 5 minutes tops. A friend just waited an hour for one. I've had to wait the grace period of I forget of how many days. Got a "on hold " and if they don't respond with a "why" in so many days you can come pick up the firearm That's what ended up happening a few years ago.

Edited by turkeyfeathers

Couple months ago,I bought a new Glock , while doing the paperwork another guy was waiting for the nics system , been about an hour . I left with a Deputy who was also buying, a Glock through the blue label program we drove to,the county clerk put them on our permits and returned .

Guy was still waiting for the system to work. Luckily ours could be done over the computer not phone and we got the ok in a couple minutes while the other guy was still waiting .

Store said that they had a tour of where the NICS system is located and that they share phone lines with the IRS. We were there the day before Fed taxes were due , which could explain the wait then .

A buddy of mine gets put on hold every time. In all the guns I have bought, even when I bought 10 in one month I have never been out on hold. I have no idea how or why it happens but I know the guys I know who are regularly put on hold don't have any legal issues that would cause it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, they said 4 days and if I don't hear from them I can pick it up on Friday. All this so called technology and all it really does is slow things down. LOL

Im pretty sure Federal Law says 3 days, but a lot of shops add a day or more for CYA..

• Like 1

Im pretty sure Federal Law says 3 days, but a lot of shops add a day or more for CYA..

That would be right. It's called the 'Grace Period'. Kind of like other states that make you wait 3 days for a pistol.

The only issue I had with the delay is not knowing why. The places you buy from aren't privy to the info as to why the delay or even a denial. Or so they claim.

Will post a pic after I pick the Axis up in the morning.

OK, so we wen't to a local gun shop today to get some ammo on the way to look at some houses. They had a used Savage Axis in 25-06 with a decent scope for $250. I bought my ammo and we left.

I talked to the g/f and we decided to stop on the way home and I was going to buy the rifle. I had to at that price!

I do the pc NICS check, after about 15 minutes the salesman says there was a delay of a few days and they would call me when it was done. OK. I pay him and we leave.

I wonder what the delay is? Last Summer I bought two guns on one day and came home with them on the same day. Last month when I bought the .22LR, I waited about an hour and came home with that the same day as well. Maybe the delay is because I just bought a gun last month?

Was it on the computer? I am assuming by the "PC NICS check" it is, sometimes those take longer than the phone call. I have bought guns before in the last year about a month apart and no issues. When I bought my Smith SD at Field and stream the computer check took about 15 minutes to come back but the following month at my local shop it was longer for them to call and give the info than the approval took.

Maybe they were trying to get you to pass on the Savage and buy a nice gun. Just kidding good luck with your new gun.

Edited by chas0218