Thier getting closer!!!!!

erussell

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont see it, I have poked through my fare share of bear scat with a stick just to see what they are eating and I have never seen deer hair or any type of hair in it. Now up north in the Adirondacks where food is scarce I dont know, but in the southern zone I have yet to see it. Now the coyote scat I see is usually full of deer hair ( and the occasional cat claws  :)  ) Anyone ever see bear scat with deer hair in it?

I don't normally look for bear crap in the spring and early summer but it is common knowledge in our neck of the woods that bears love to eat those nice and tender fawns.  If you google it you will find several images of black bears dining on new born fawns.

How would you know anyway if the hair you saw in a bear's scat was from a fawn or from a bear feeding on an already dead deer... ? And what would be the remedy if the bear were eating fawns? eliminate the bear population so that more the deer could survive?... why is one species more important than another?

I don't think you could eliminate the bear population,but it is growing pretty rapidly. I just think that i hear all the time about coyotes eating fawns, but bears do it a lot too and are pretty effecient at it.. i've seen doe chase a coyote away from where her fawns may be hiding, don't think it would try to chase a bear without getting swatted(and probably killed itself). Just another predator to knock down fawn recruitment ..

why is one species more important than another?

I don't think its which species is more important than another. Its which species can F up my deer hunting worse than the other. If we get wolves, Bears, Mountain lions, and coyotes in NY you can count on thier being a shorter deer season or not one at all ( hope you like bear meat ). Which I think in the big picture is the plan and why all these crazy wildlife re-introducers are happy about the population explosions of wolves and cougars, but I won't get into that. And yes if I can prove that the Bears in my areas are having an impact on the venison in my freezer than I will make up for the loss of said venison with bear meat.  ;)   

why is one species more important than another?

I don't think its which species is more important than another. Its which species can F up my deer hunting worse than the other. If we get wolves, Bears, Mountain lions, and coyotes in NY you can count on thier being a shorter deer season or not one at all ( hope you like bear meat ). Which I think in the big picture is the plan and why all these crazy wildlife re-introducers are happy about the population explosions of wolves and cougars, but I won't get into that. And yes if I can prove that the Bears in my areas are having an impact on the venison in my freezer than I will make up for the loss of said venison with bear meat.  :D 

Why wait...lol. Bear meat is worth the effort. stack 'em up.

There are plenty of other states and provinces that have had bears,coyotes,wolves ,and mountain lions. That have phenominal deerhunting and have for a long time. Deer will adjust,they have adjusted for humans,they will adjust for predators. Just look one state south.Pa has more hunters,bears,coyotes,bobcats,and now reportedly mountain lions. Their deer hunting has been pretty darn good for decades. I'm not worried about predators. I'm more concerned with the lack of interest by hunters,to hunt these coyotes or bear. They have to be kept in check too. I have heard ,no idea how many hunters. Say," well didn't see any deer today but saw a coyote or coyotes go by." Why didn't they shoot? Because they didn't want to screw up their deer stand or season !?? Then turn around and say their deer hunting is screwed up because,there are too many coyotes?? I shoot them on sight. If they are open,and they give me a good shot. I'm shootin. I've smoked them out of several stands during deer season.Gun and bow. Then turned around  the next day and popped a deer from the same stand.  If they are here, they are here.

I see your point...but if you talk to guys that are actively hunting them and read many posts on the subject ...you'll also hear ya we took some many yotes out of an area and the next year or two there were 2x's as many...ppl saying that once you start taking them out the increase their breeding and little size.

Perhaps that could account for the lack of I shot instead of I viewed a yote going by....me if it's out there in range ...I'm doing my best to drop it...but they've cost me a lot of $$$ >:(

I'm sorry to hear they are costing you money. What kind of livestock do you have? As far as 2x as many not sure about that. If there is a consistent food source in an area for coyotes. And you take several out . Then the next coyote, or pair to come along will move in. We had close to a dozen last year on one property. I took 8 and the neighbor took two. This year was the first year in several years that  atleast a half dozen weren't shot before January. I had two go by me during archery took one. And never saw another until a few weeks ago,when I shot a male. And yesterday after yote hunting we checked over the property. We saw one set of yote tracks. More coon and fox than ever. But I still don't believe there is any accurate way to keep coyote numbers. In a hard winter they could be, or go anywhere. And if they move into an area where nobody is hunting them,and food is there. They will stay. I also believe the state needs to open the season year round. I would much rather hunt them from February to May. When they are breeding. And  when fawns are dropping. But one thing is for sure they will always be here.

First....that was increase litter size...Opps :-[ ....

The yotes here have killed our adult goats...and every spring manage at least one kid...they have killed our chickens...and I was circled going in to hunt predawn....Killed the nieghbors sheep....anothers turkeys and ducks

Your right they do need to open the season year around

As far as I'm concerned the only thing yotes are good for is feral cats...and they have helped with that

• 2 weeks later...

I go to school in the Adirondack at Paul Smiths College for Wildlife Management and a professior of mine and his class had seen a mountian lion on one of their outdoor classes, and I have personolly seen skeletons up in the crothes of trees also, so i have no doubt that breeding pairs will be here soon.

I go to school in the Adirondack at Paul Smiths College for Wildlife Management and a professior of mine and his class had seen a mountian lion on one of their outdoor classes, and I have personolly seen skeletons up in the crothes of trees also, so i have no doubt that breeding pairs will be here soon.

Pictures please.......

Oh wait; everyone forgot their cell phone or they didn't have batteries charged. :;)

Hmmmmm... I was not aware that cougars took thier kills up into trees...I know that leaopards do that in Africa and Asia, so that other predators such as lions and hyenas can't get them...

Perhaps the DEC is stocking LEAOPARDS....It would explain the black ones as well as the skeletons in trees....  Unlike black  cougars, that have never documented, I think that there have some black leaopards that have been taken...

Let's check up on the cougars in states where they actually EXIST and see if it is common behavior for them to take thier deer and elk kills into trees..

I'm kinda guessing that they usually leave them on the ground and cover them with debris when they leave... Just a wild guess...

Black Leopard are indemic to a small area of Tanzania and Ethiopia ;)

If I was an enviromental student just think of the thesis you would have if you were the one that confirmed a bonified ML kill from a wild animal(and possible breeder).....would make me want to take pics and return to that site to fully document it. That would earn an A+. :P

Just sayin' ;)

Geeze, Pat... I'll have to put you in touch with some of the people who hang out at my local Legion post...  They seem to see 'em on an almost daily basis..

Steuben County is apparently INFESTED with the critters...

As many as are reported around here, you shouldn't have any trouble shooting one.. Give me a call... As soon as I see a carcass I will become LESS of a skeptic, and as soon as it is determined to be a truly wild cat rather than an escaped pet I will become a believer... :) ...

I was wondering the same thing with the pictures but i would have to say I would trust my profesiors opinion in telling the what type of cat it was, seeing how he does make his living teaching students about animals, and has his Phd in Wildlife Ecology and Conservation, and as for the dragging deer up into trees, yes all cats, as well as bears and coyotes hide thier food, wether it be burying them or dragging them up into trees so they can feed later. 

I was wondering the same thing with the pictures but i would have to say I would trust my profesiors opinion in telling the what type of cat it was, seeing how he does make his living teaching students about animals, and has his Phd in Wildlife Ecology and Conservation, and as for the dragging deer up into trees, yes all cats, as well as bears and coyotes hide thier food, wether it be burying them or dragging them up into trees so they can feed later.

Like I said....I assume you have a camera? And you seen "skeletons" plural.....and not once did you take a pic?

I've seen Leopard kills and baiting in Zimbabwe and Namibia.....there is absolutely no mistaking the evidence of a BIG cat kill in a tree or on the ground(ground kill was a beef calf by a small female,125 lbs, and even I could see the prints clear). There are pug marks everywhere and the trunks of the trees are clawed to pieces from the drag; even on a diminutive Duiker.

Carry that camera from now on and you'd get famous. :)