New rabbit hunter

Bet he can climb a tree.......

What's the story on him?  Bag O bones he ain't................ :)

He wasn't good enough for owner in field trials, i put him in one and he made it through but wasn't chosen for winners pack.

He wasn't good enough for owner in field trials, i put him in one and he made it through but wasn't chosen for winners pack.

Field trial washouts often become the best gun dogs. Besides, unless the previous owner trained and hunted everyday, five years old is relatively young to put a dog in with other dogs who have hunted daily. If the dog was (truly) 8 pounds overweight, I doubt he was hunted every day. If he puts rabbits in the frying pan is all that counts. If he wins trials all you get is a ribbon or trophy or a small purse, and maybe a title.  Can't eat trophies.

• Like 1

I have had beagles since I was a young boy and I currently have 3 beagles. All of my dogs have been and are rabbit dogs. Bones looks to me to be a muscular dog and does not appear to be overweight as his belly does not appear to be sagging at all in the photo where he is sitting. I would just feed him the correct amount of dog food for his present weight and when you run him in the fall, I'm sure he will be just fine. Just be careful with giving him treats and do not feed him table scraps. Beagles are known gluttons and will eat as much as you give them. He looks to me to have good potential as a hunter. Don't worry about field trials- what counts is the great days you have hunting with them. Those days are priceless.

• Like 2