New Slug Gun

Well, I have my new slug gun on reserve, and will be bringing her home once my taxes are deposited in my account. Its the Remington 870 Sureshot 12 gauge with the 23 inch cantilever barrel and a 2-7 x 32 scope. I will most likely be selling the scope and rings in favor of better rings and a Vortex scope. Ill be using Hornady SSTs with it and am thinking of sending it out for a custom dip job. Not sure how exactly I want to have it dipped or what pattern yet. Gotta break up the all black look.

GM420158_L1.jpg

Yeah I think I will. Ive been eye balling them since they came out and finally decided to drop the hammer on one. The Sureshot stock is ultra comfortable and just feels nice and balanced to me.

My big decision is going to be the scope. Im looking at either a 3-9x40 with an illuminated reticule or a 2-7x35 with a BDC style reticule. On one hand, I love illuminated reticules, they are just so easy to see in the field, and the 40mm lens will look a bit brighter. But on the other hand I like the lower 2x capability of the other scope for up close and the BDC reticules are supposedly very nice to have.

Congrats on the new gun.  I saw your reply to my post (thanks for the scope advice.)  I am not sure when I am going to get a scope for this gun prob won't be for a few months and I will be curious to know what you end up going with and how that works for you.  Keep me posted.

Thanks. Yeah Im still not sure which scope to go with. Im going to sell tha factory scope and rings, so what I get for that might dictate which one I get, of course, I have a good bite on the bow I have for sale, so that money just may pay for the more expensive scope. Decisions, decisions.

Anyone have any advice on the scope? Here are the two contenders....

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-crossfire-3-9x40-riflescope-v-brite-illuminated-reticle

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-diamondback-2-7x35-riflescope-dead-hold-bdc-reticle

I have hunted with a scope for so many years that picking up a moving target has never been a problem for me. With the gun you are getting the 2 power advantage on the upper end would outweigh the 1 power disadvantage on the lower end IMO. the only gun I hae that is less than a 3-9 is on my 22 and that is a 2-7. 100 yards a 9 power will serve you well. To steal a line from the movie the patriot. aim small ...miss small.

Good point Doe, that would be a great option to be able to build your own.

Culver, Im gonna take your advice on the 3-9.

One more question, whats the difference between a nitrogen filled tube and an argon filled tube? Besides what they are filled with lol.

Both are pressurized inert gases. I can't imagine anyone would perform better than the other under the uses we would have. Both are designed to keep air...hence moisture out. I had a nitrogen filled divers watch my wife got me for Christmas one year. the battery went dead and to send it in to get a new one was over $50 bucks. The place at the mall would do it for $8 but the girl was concerned it would not be as waterproof. I asked her how water proof it would be. She said probably tight to 50' as opposed to the 200 meeters it was rated for. My response..."Dear, if I am down over 50' I am not going to care what time it is"...lol. Point is ...I don't think you would ever notice a difference.

I love them. they are rock solid. Get yourself a good 1" hardwood dowel. really helps twist them in and get everything straight before you drop the scope in and risk tweaking the tube. I have never looked through one of those scopes but I think I will check them out when I get the new barrel for the encore

Culver can the Leupold twist on rings go on the cantilever barrel which has grooves for weaver style rings?  I thought the twist on rings need to be put on bases that attach to an action of a rifle?

Didn't think of that. Great point. Since it isn't using a base it might have to be one of the cross lock type rings

I love them. they are rock solid. Get yourself a good 1" hardwood dowel. really helps twist them in and get everything straight before you drop the scope in and risk tweaking the tube. I have never looked through one of those scopes but I think I will check them out when I get the new barrel for the encore

If you ever want to check one out, let me know.

Culver can the Leupold twist on rings go on the cantilever barrel which has grooves for weaver style rings?  I thought the twist on rings need to be put on bases that attach to an action of a rifle?

Didn't think of that. Great point. Since it isn't using a base it might have to be one of the cross lock type rings

Crap. Well, thanks for pointing that out Steve, you saved me some hassle. Maybe Ill get the twist ons for my 223 and use the rings I have on that for the shotgun, or Ill just use the factory ones.

You guys know what opinions are like.... :D ....

I'm sure that you will think mine STINKS, and that's Ok, I promise not to be offended but I'm going to give it anyway, just for the sake of conversation...

I can see no utiliity in putting a high power variable scope on a shotgun...Why put such a big, heavy, large objective monstrosity  on a rig for shooting deer sized animals at ranges of less than 200 yards..??.. I do not even OWN a 3 x 9 scope...My highest power scope ( and the only variable that I use ) is a 2 x 7, and it is more scope than I need.. I keep it set on 2 power most of the time.. My "go to" scope is a 4x fixed Leupold and I have killed deer and caribou with it at 300 and 400 yards, no problem...

Those big variables are heavier, bulkier, and really throw off the balance and lines of a nice hunting rifle or shotgun...

Most of us would be  better served by buying the highest quality fixed power scope that we can afford... I can't imagine needing more than a 4 power on a shotgun, or a 6 power on a rifle, unless you are into shooting at extreme ranges, meaning 400 yards and over..

The advantages of a good fixed power relatively low magnification scope for a big game rifle are... Relatively light weight.....long eye relief.... wider field of view...less bulk and better handling....PLUS less stuff to go wrong...Not the LEAST of which is having it set on HIGH power when a close shot opportunity presents itself... I don't know of any of my friends who has not had his scope set on 9 power and had a deer jump up at close range and could not get the critter in his scope..

That does not happen to me with my fixed 2.5 or 4x scopes... Strangely enough, when I get a shot at longer ranges, I have never missed an opportunity due to LACK of magnification..

Just my view on things... :) ....

I appreciate your input Pygmy, but I dont get caught at high power with any of my scopes. When I am hunting, I keep my scope set on the lowest power. I use binoculars and dont look at anything through my scope unless I am going to shoot it. The only time the higher powers come into play is on a still target, so I have no reason to crank it up until the last moment anyhow. At 12 ounces, the scope I am looking at isnt heavy or much larger than the scope that comes on it from the factory.  :)

12 ounces.... I could live with that.... ;D .....

I've just seen so many guys take a really nice handling rifle or shotgun and put a huge, heavy, fat over powered MONSTROSITY on it...  And ruin it's handling and athesthetic qualities...  Simply because they think they need a variable with a lot of magnification...Seems like everyone thinks they need a 3 x 9 to hunt deer.. They would take a cheap 3x9 any day before rather than a better quality, lower powered fixed power scope..

Here's an example.. A friend of mine, who is an excellent deer hunter, described his "new" deer rifle to me...It was a Remington pump, probably a 7600, in 7mm08....

The scope he put on it was a 4 x 14 X abomination with a huge objective lens... I can't remember what make..It could be the best scope in the world, and it would still be inappropriate.. Then, to add insult injury, he put a BIPOD on the thing... Talk about taking a decent deer rifle and turning it into something damn near worthless as far as FUNCTION goes...

Now, if he had put a nice fixed 4x Leupy  or Zeiss, or , if he really felt he needed a variable, perhaps a 1-4x  or 1-5x quality scope on it, he would have had a nice deer rig...

As it turned out, he ended up with a rifle that would be better suited for Buck Rogers to use to shoot lunar elk.... :) .... :D ... :D ...

And those huge objectives... They are not an issue when talking about hunting during legal shooting hours...

My binoculars are Leica 8 x 42 Trinivoids...Not exactly cheap glass...

I have looked through my M8 4X Leupolds in the woods WELL before legal shooting time, and then looked through my Leica binocs, and that 4x 33mm scope was brighter than the binocs.

Good optics gather enough light for shooting under any responsible hunting situation, even with a 20 MM objective..