Angel was attacked...

growalot

Yesterday about 200ft from the house...Mr.B heard her yelp then growl..a moment later she came trotting across the yard hackles up and a hunk of fur pulled from her back. I was working in the garden and found out a couple of hours later...checked her out and she also has a puncture wound near her eye duct....Good thing they are up to date with rabie shots. This will have me a tad more alert while working the wood lot.

Edited by growalot

Good thing she's OK. 

Wife and I saw a young coyote behind The Walker Center on Main St yesterday morning on a coffee run...........(we were getting the coffee, not the 'yote)

It was out of character for the animal but not surprising for the area as its loaded with deer, fox turkey and gobs of small game.

growie, what do you figure it was that did the number on your pooch?

You might want to consider carrying a small pocket revolver or semi-auto while you're out and about. 

No Mr B didn't see any thing...she was behind the bulldozer in the gully. We trained her to do her business in the woods not the lawn....the puncture wound was small ..so could have been sharp claw or tooth...though what ever it was ..had the ability to get on her back.

Last week on the local news they had a story about all the rabid critters this year, reminding folks to be on the lookout for odd acting critters.  Then on Friday morning on the way to work I spotted a smaller 'coon walking towards a house.  The house it adjacent to a rural golf course and sits alone, all open mowed lawn for a considerable area.  

I'd bet a half a 10 pack of Tim Bits that masked bandit was rabid.............

• Like 3

Earlier this year my wife calls me at work and says she was going to get the mail and see's a fox by our mailbox "acting weird " just across the road. I told her to call the local police right away to report a possible rabid animal. They showed up a short time later with an animal control guy and the fox was still there. They put the noose thing over its head and it was going nuts and they ended up discharging three shots . The cop tells my wife it was rabid as it was foaming at the mouth and showed no fear of humans. DEC came to take the dead fox away. So glad she saw it and knew something wasn't right. Haven't had anymore problems since but always ready for anything now while working or playing outside .

Last week on the local news they had a story about all the rabid critters this year, reminding folks to be on the lookout for odd acting critters.  Then on Friday morning on the way to work I spotted a smaller 'coon walking towards a house.  The house it adjacent to a rural golf course and sits alone, all open mowed lawn for a considerable area.  

I'd bet a half a 10 pack of Tim Bits that masked bandit was rabid.............

It's certainly possible the coon was rabid, Larry..However feline distemper is very prevalent in raccoons and much more common than rabies.

Coons affected with distemper  often show behavior similar to rabies...Drooling, lack of fear of humans, disorientation, wandering aimlessy around in daytime. 

It's certainly possible the coon was rabid, Larry..However feline distemper is very prevalent in raccoons and much more common than rabies.

Coons affected with distemper  often show behavior similar to rabies...Drooling, lack of fear of humans, disorientation, wandering aimlessy around in daytime. 

Didn't know that.........

When they drop the "bait" from the helicopters each year in Niagara County I assumed it was for the 'coons to eat to control the rabies?

Either way, that little bandit didn't look kosher. :)

Found this Dan........

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-region/environment/airdrops-of-rabies-vaccine-begin-tuesday-20130825

Airdrops of rabies vaccine begin Tuesday in Erie and Niagara counties
By Thomas J. Prohaska | News Niagara Reporter | @ThomasProhaska | Google+

on August 25, 2013 - 9:03 PM

LOCKPORT – More than 200,000 raccoon baits containing rabies vaccine will be distributed in Niagara and Erie counties, starting Tuesday.

James J. Devald, Niagara County environmental health director, said the U.S. Department of Agriculture will be in charge of the effort, beginning with drops of the baits from low-flying planes.

Helicopters also will be used in some areas until the annual program ends Sept. 4. Vaccine-laced baits will be spread by hand in Niagara Falls and nearby areas, Devald said.

The baits are coated in a plastic blister pack. The biscuit is made of vegetable fat and oil, icing sugar, vanilla flavor and dark green food coloring. Its vaccine-laden center contains two antibiotics.

Anyone who finds a bait should leave it alone, said Daniel J. Stapleton, Niagara County public health director.

A toll-free number, (888) 574-6656, is printed on the bait packets. The number should be called in case of any exposure to the bait on the part of humans or pets, Stapleton said.

An information sheet from Artemis Technologies, the Canadian company that produces the baits, said the vaccine cannot cause rabies, but exposure to mucous membranes could lead to adenovirus conjunctivitis, marked by cold-like symptoms.

Niagara County offers free rabies vaccination clinics five times a year, with the next one scheduled for 2 to 4 p.m. Sept. 21 at the Town of Lockport highway garage behind Town Hall, Dysinger and Old Beattie roads.

The county also is planning an animal microchipping clinic from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sept. 26 at the Niagara Pet Food Pantry, 8600 Buffalo Ave., Niagara Falls.

A Lewiston veterinarian, Kristen Ruest, will insert microchips beneath the neck skin of dogs and cats. The county has a chip reader that can be used to scan the animal and identify the owner of a stray animal. However, rabies shots must be up to date before the county Health Department will agree to insert the microchip, said Elaine Roman, director of public health planning and emergency preparedness.

Advance appointments for microchipping are available by calling 439-7439 or 439-7431.

The county’s last rabies immunization clinic of this year is scheduled for 2 to 4 p.m. Dec. 7 in the North Tonawanda Public Works garage, 758 Erie Ave.

We had a raccoon acting weird in my driveway. As we drove up the driveway after being out town for breakfast, we got up toward the yard end of the driveway, and there was a young-ish raccoon stumbling and staggering around, repeatedly falling over on its side. I didn't see any foaming at the mouth. I was running late for some work that I had to do, so I ignored it thinking that it was just about finished off. I went out in the field to do some tree spraying, and when I came back, he was gone. Of course the bushes in the thicket alongside the driveway is filled with wild rose and other thick forms of brush, and there was no way I was going in there after some crazy critter, so I've got no idea where it went or how much longer it lived.

I guess it is worth noting that distemper is pretty common in raccoons and imitates rabies in a lot of ways.

Relative to whatever attacked growie's dog, there is another potential candidate. Somewhere recently, I read about a rabid bobcat, and I believe it was not too far from the western NY area. Smallish tooth pattern and jumping on the dog's back suggests a possibility of a cat attack (bobcat or house cat) 

Is it a small dog? Maybe a raptor tried to pick her up?

No she's not small, medium ...but I actually thought perhaps she had jumped a doe with fawn...they hang in the woods next to the  house ...That would have explained the hunk of fur yanked on her back...Then I checked her over and found the puncture on her eye.

When looking for wounds on the dogs I take a wad of paper towel and slowly wipe sections of their bodies...puncture wounds do not always bleed, but they weep and the paper towels will pick it up...I start on their muzzle and work back...

No had it been that dog she would have torn it up!...she does not like other dogs since my husbands dog attacked her a few times....She will defend herself...ripped the ear nearly off his dog when it tried tearing her throat out...ya story's been told before..That dog was put down...

Any ways Twice she has protected me from raccoon and has NO FEAR of them...so what ever got her ...I thing surprised her...hey maybe a live fisher...she was out by the hollow oak tree...loves to dig could have been a fox ..I tried to get her to go back out to the area...she won't..Also could have been a hawk?? We have Harriers (sp) that hunt our woods...May have been a talon to the eye?? Who knows...Part of living with the critters in the woods.