Long Island NY Monster Whitetail

wztirem

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are full of bull#@$, if you shot a big buck and it somehow found a place you couldn't quite locate it immedaitly but then found it within a week or so you would still claim it as if it were the day you shot it. At least it was recovered.  Come on here with this crap about knife handles aand such.  The reality is you harvested the deer and it does happen that deer will cover major ground and not always be found immediately after the shot but that shouldn't take anything away from the trophy and the hunting experience. We have all made marginal shots and if you haven't then you haven't been hunting long or hard enough.  Fact is it happens, why does everyone have to put such negative attitudes into such a awesome sport. Geesh just leave it alone already.

LOL! Thankyou! ;)

If you injured the animal,and it died because you made a bad hit.It is your animal. And whether your a meat hunter or a trophy hunter if you smack a buck of this caliber, your gonna look for it. And as for  it being  a doe your gonna look for a couple days . And it's obvious during warm weather that the meat is not gonna be edible. So why would you drag it out. But with 200 inches of bone on it's head your gonna look for it a little longer. And LIhunt glad to see you are watching for proper spelling. My spelling is terrible. Thankyou

damn Geno you got some serious anger issues from reading some of your posts.  I could give a rats ass about you and your ethics.

i have no anger issues, just dont like guys calling me out on something they know nothing about...  the feelings like wise chief....

If you injured the animal,and it died because you made a bad hit.It is your animal. And whether your a meat hunter or a trophy hunter if you smack a buck of this caliber, your gonna look for it. And as for  it being  a doe your gonna look for a couple days . And it's obvious during warm weather that the meat is not gonna be edible. So why would you drag it out. But with 200 inches of bone on it's head your gonna look for it a little longer. And LIhunt glad to see you are watching for proper spelling. My spelling is terrible. Thankyou

at least hes doing something right, i never admitted being the best speller here lol but im glad we have such smart individuals that can aid in spell check.  :;)

at least hes doing something right, i never admitted being the best speller here lol but im glad we have such smart individuals that can aid in spell check.  ::D

;D ;D :D

Hey Guys,

I am the one who shot this buck. I just stumbled across this post about it and read all the posts. The shot I put on that buck turned out to be just a little far back. I can try to post a pic. It happens. I have been bowhunting for over 20 yrs. Hunt long enough and it will happen. I did everything I possibly could to recover that deer. I waited almost 7 hrs before trying to recover him. There was ZERO blood. I bumped him about 100 yards from where I shot him, backed out again. I searched every single day after that. Zero blood. I did not hunt one second after letting that arrow go. I walked 2-3 hrs a day, every day. I actually had blisters on my feet. The deer was in some big woods. He ended up going 2/3 of a mile. Grid searched with my dog every day. It doesn't take a dam thing away from the experience. Actually more rewarding. I hunted that deer hard, have trail cam pics. Put the arrow through him and searched even harder to recover him. Knife handles?? I think not.

Glad to hear your side of the story! Like i said before your a guy that has a lot of determination and pride!! If you didn't find it and some one else did you would of been lumped into what a lazy hunter by most people but there are always 2 sides to a story glad you got to put yours out here for everyone to read!!

Hey Guys,

I am the one who shot this buck. I just stumbled across this post about it and read all the posts. The shot I put on that buck turned out to be just a little far back. I can try to post a pic. It happens. I have been bowhunting for over 20 yrs. Hunt long enough and it will happen. I did everything I possibly could to recover that deer. I waited almost 7 hrs before trying to recover him. There was ZERO blood. I bumped him about 100 yards from where I shot him, backed out again. I searched every single day after that. Zero blood. I did not hunt one second after letting that arrow go. I walked 2-3 hrs a day, every day. I actually had blisters on my feet. The deer was in some big woods. He ended up going 2/3 of a mile. Grid searched with my dog every day. It doesn't take a dam thing away from the experience. Actually more rewarding. I hunted that deer hard, have trail cam pics. Put the arrow through him and searched even harder to recover him. Knife handles?? I think not.

That's great for you.

For me, knife handles or nailed to the wall of the shed.

Thanks G-man.

Steve-B, You are entitled to your opinion. For me, the deer is going on the wall where he belongs. But I am curious now, why exactly would you reduce that buck of a lifetime to knife handles or nailing to a shed? I scouted that deer, have pics. Hunted him hard, and put an arrow through him. The deer wasn't found dead because he died of natural causes. I shot him.

congrats on the buck and congrats and good job on the recover of this animal. it does happen like you said, you didint give up on this deer and you made the recovery... may not have been in time to salvage the meat but you found him.

he looks huge in that trail cam pic!

I didn't gut the deer, for obvious reasons so cant be sure. Looking at the hole, I would say no part of the diaphram, maybe part of the liver. After the shot, knowing it was a little far back, I immediately backed out. I read a book I have about finding wounded deer. I also went online and read various other articles. The consensus seemed to be to wait approx 6hrs. I paced around the house all day and after waiting almost 7 hrs I went back in. That's when I bumped him, I backed out again and he wound up going 2/3 of a mile from that point. I know it to be 2/3 of a mile because I measured it on google earth.

So if anybody can learn from this, and I have told everyone I can, that 6-7 hrs is NOT enough. I don't care what the books say. If I would have left that deer until the next morning, he would have been dead 100 yards from where i shot him.

I didn't gut the deer, for obvious reasons so cant be sure. Looking at the hole, I would say no part of the diaphram, maybe part of the liver. After the shot, knowing it was a little far back, I immediately backed out. I read a book I have about finding wounded deer. I also went online and read various other articles. The consensus seemed to be to wait approx 6hrs. I paced around the house all day and after waiting almost 7 hrs I went back in. That's when I bumped him, I backed out again and he wound up going 2/3 of a mile from that point. I know it to be 2/3 of a mile because I measured it on google earth.

So if anybody can learn from this, and I have told everyone I can, that 6-7 hrs is NOT enough. I don't care what the books say. If I would have left that deer until the next morning, he would have been dead 100 yards from where i shot him.

The liver lays right against the diaphram which is why I asked that, if you were ahead of the diaphram you had liver if not then it was just gut. It sounds like it may have been just gut to me but it does look like it was very close to the liver, so one inch could have very well changed the time frame for you. A liver hit deer will die before a gut shot deer but again, bucks play by a totally different set of rules. I do think you are right when you said that he would have been dead with in the hundred yards with out jumping him.

That is probaly the single most important thing for any one to learn here, when in doubt back out and leave it set for at least 8 hours or else you will be in for a long day(s). Liver hits can go different ways, I have had them die in minutes and I have had them last 6 hours. Generally speaking liver hits we leave 4-6 hours, gut shots 6-8 or over night as you said. Oh and good job finding him, I neglected to say that before, although it didn't happen perfectly you did your job.

ive never heard of a liver hit deer dieing within minutes. maybe liver lung... if it was just a liver hit deer it could be a long time before that buck expired depending on the mortality of that hit. his shot could have nipped the liver but depending on the angle of the shot and where it exited from the deer, it does sound like mostly a gut shot, which is probably why there was little to no blood. that cavity was in my guess full of blood but may not have bled out right away near  the location of where the deer was hit.

liver hits are very easily mistaken by those who have a hard time replaying the shot in their head and also knowing exactly where they hit the deer. Its mistaken easily due to the fact of the blood that you get from a liver hit deer is usually pretty good and the deer can leave a very decent blood trail so some guys can pick up the trail fast and just push the deer. It does start to look very watery after so many yards from what ive seen. gut shots are tough tho... i miss judged a shot on a doe one year, she was quartering to slightly more then i thought, i made a perfect lung shot but the arrow exited lower rear gut and left me with no blood until 70 yards or so, luckily i saw where she crossed a logging road and walked right to the spot, she was dead right there with lung bubbles coming out like crazy. she went 100 yards but if i did not see where she crossed the road it would have been along tracking job and that was on a lung shot. 

Well 6hrs is probably long enough on 90% of most deer the problem with big bucks are that the body usually matches, bigger body means more blood must be lost....Have seen big bucks travel very far 1/2 to 3/4 with good hits, much farther than an average buck or doe would of been able to go. The bigger the buck the longer the wait is a good rule of thumb to follow for iffy hits.

I would to that there won't be a lot of blood loss from a gut shot, its more that they die from the toxins that are released into the blood stream. More simply put, they get sick and die which is why it takes time.

And Geno, I wouldn't have believed that a liver hit could do that other than I did it a couple of years ago. The deer made it 30 yards and fell over dead and we inspected the lungs at home and never found any cuts in them. We guessed that I had hit the blood supply to the liver and that was what caused the rapid death. I have hit the liver on 3 including this years doe, I hate the feeling of doing that, as soon as the arrow got there I knew on all three occasions it was bad but I also knew it was a dead deer.

Just for me, I can't see doing anything but making knife handles if that on a buck I didn't find while the meat is still good. Looking at any kind of mount would just remind me of not getting it done - whatever the reason. I sure wouldn't score it, but would burn the take. Again, just for me.

But I would enter the buck in the Big Buck club as found dead just to make sure the antlers were recorded for future hunters to see.. I would mount the deer for the deers sake not as a personal harvested trophy...

Joe, what exactly is the reasoning behind that statement above?