2017 Member Deer Hunt

eagle rider

This one will stir some discussion.... On a another blog site a few years back we did a member antelope hunt.  It was a great time to actually meet and hunt with the people your were writing back and forth with for years.  We had a great hunt and a lot of laughs.  It has me thinking why not do the same here.  Initial thoughts are we wait until next season so everyone has time to plan and save up some scratch, we limit it to the first 10 who say they want in and we do a guided hunt out of state that is affordable, well reviewed and drivable in one day from anywhere in NY.  Here is my though, I've hunted Virginia before.  The hospitality is great, deer are plentiful, rates are certainly savable over a year and a half, and out of state three day licenses are not expensive.  Plus they have a long season.  Firearms in and out of the state are not and issue either.  Or it can be a bow hunt.  Let me know what your thoughts are, but I know we want a place that lodges us on property, maintains stands and scouts them, has great and recent references (that we will check!!!), has licensed and insured guides, provides lodging and meals.    Let me know your thoughts.  

If that is too much, what about a couple of day guided waterfowl hunt?  Either way lets start talking about it.

Kentucky is awesome hunting. Very short gun season so it would make things pretty much a bow hunt. Definitely not drivable from NY in a day and I don't know the cost of non resident licenses. I only picked VA because I have had some personal experience there and deer are plentiful. That said I'm opened to anywhere. I think we can seek out more suggestions from others as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, eagle rider said:

Kentucky is awesome hunting. Very short gun season so it would make things pretty much a bow hunt. Definitely not drivable from NY in a day and I don't know the cost of non resident licenses. I only picked VA because I have had some personal experience there and deer are plentiful. That said I'm opened to anywhere. I think we can seek out more suggestions from others as well.

Not sure why you think it's not drivable but... How about W VA?

• Like 2

It's definitely drivable I was trying for something that is reasonably drivable in a day from anywhere in NYS. So in my mind that's about anything that within a 10 hour radius of Syracuse. West VA is a good possibility as well.

Pig hunts are a lot of fun, in some cases there are combo hunts deer and pig.  But yes pigs alone are reasonably priced.

Ohio, and national Forrest, would that be guided/semi guided?

Okay, with that said so far we have the Carolinas, VA, WVA and Ohio in the mix..... Deer of pigs, Anywhere else?

And without over complicating this, Maine for bear is also easy to get to, and plenty of outfitter opportunity where they can typically accommodate large groups. 

What about doing a DIY hunt right here in NY? Like the Indian Lake area for deer and bear? Pretty much in the middle of the state, a few places offer nice cabins and might get a group rate for reserving multiple cabins as a group. No non-resident fees and some great hunting areas. Just a thought.

• Like 2

I know it would be a long drive for most of you since the bulk of the forum seems to be from the southern tier but I figured I would throw it out for discussion. I know of a place here in the northern zone wmu 6k in the barnes corners area that rents cabins.The place is called tuggers it's a camp ground where they have camp sites and cabins. I rented a cabin once about 10 yrs ago and I believe it is like 75$ a night. The cabins are small prably 2 to 3 hunters a cabin I'm not sure if we could get them cheaper if we rented a few. In the summer the place is filled with the 4 wheeling crowd and in the winter the snowmobile crowd but when I was there in November it was just a few other cabins filled with hunters and quite a few cabins were open.There is a ton of state land around there. I have been hunting the area for about 30 yrs. The place is not swarming with deer but there is a decent population and they tend to run big as in body weight as they have to survive tremendous winters up here, this place gets plastered with snow. A lot of the areas I hunt are a maze of ski trails and logging trails which might make it easier for people to navigate the area and cut down on the risk of someone getting totally lost as most of the trails eventually link up with another trail.There are no doe permits for the area it's bucks only. Well like I said it's just an option I thought I would throw out there i don't know if there would be enough interest for people to come this far north.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

• Like 1