Week long fishing trip in northern Qeubec

MACHINIST

My father has been going to this camp for years so we planned a fishing trip with him,my Brother and Brother in law.Fishing was the best I have ever seen as my Brother and law and I in one boat landed 407 walleye.....that's not a typo and 26 northers.Some were small but most were in the 14-22 inch range with around 40-50 being 23-24. 24 1/2 was the biggest,biggest northern for our boat was 29 inches but there was one other caught by another group that was 48 inches.The week weather wise was great with only 2 days with a little bad rain that we had to run into shore because of thunder and lightening.On the way in we saw one bear run across the road,had a "camp pet" which was a grouse that would walk between the camps eating on the blueberry bushes,a muskrat that swam around camp and a mink that would steal fish if you left them unattended for more than a few minutes.I cant wait to go back as we are already planning a return trip for 2018.The camp is Square Tail Lodge and is top notch,they all run 20hp yamaha 4 stroke motors with 14 or 16 foot wide and deep V alum boats that go at a pretty good clip and also troll nice and slow.Just wanted to throw some pics up and tell you all about my experience.17939-MMS-1471385994000-attachment1-20160816_133928 (1).jpg

20160813_172435.jpg20160814_111141.jpg20160814_111143.jpg20160813_161833 (1).jpg

http://www.squaretaillodge.com/

20160817_080008.jpg

20160817_080608.jpeg

IMG_3194.jpg

Resized_20160813_113359.jpg

Resized952016081395113147.jpg

20160813_190240.jpg

• Like 10

26 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

Is it a fly in camp, or can you drive to it, or boat out to it. My family used to go up to quebec every year for a fishing trip. My kids are old enough I want to start taking them. Looking for a family friendly place, the wife will want showers too.

used to be fly in only till the late 90's.you drive to it and then get your gear on a pontoon to go over to the camp.There is showers but not the best water pressure and only WiFi signal for sporadic texts out no calls.Very friendly place!!

Edited by MACHINIST
  • Like 1

I went to Square Tail last year, it's a great place, there are tons of walleyes there.  We caught a few pike too.  

Did you use their guide?  We did and I'm glad we did, took a lot of guess work out of a huge lake!  I would go back there in a heartbeat, maybe next year.

Nice pictures, can't wait to go back myself!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MACHINIST said:

the third and fourth pic is of a strain of walleye that had alot of blue coloration in them.The picture doesn't do the fish justice because it was so colorful.They looked like a tropical fish

Great job sounds like it was a blast.  And here biologist claim the blue walleye is extinct lol.  I have heard others getting them in deep water as well.  I do have to chuckle a bit though cause if you caught them in Canadian water they are pike not walleye, well according to the Canadians anyways lol.  Nice job!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Otto said:

I went to Square Tail last year, it's a great place, there are tons of walleyes there.  We caught a few pike too.  

Did you use their guide?  We did and I'm glad we did, took a lot of guess work out of a huge lake!  I would go back there in a heartbeat, maybe next year.

Nice pictures, can't wait to go back myself!

We didn't use the guide because my father and his friends have been going for years but if it were my first time after being on that lake I definitely would.Also a GPS is a absolute must because there are many rocks just under the water and if you smash a lower unit you own it.Any time went explored we just trolled and marked a trail on the GPS for future running

the third and fourth pic is of a strain of walleye that had alot of blue coloration in them.The picture doesn't do the fish justice because it was so colorful.They looked like a tropical fish

The blue pike genes run strong in the Raquette River in the ADK and less common, but still present, on Lake Erie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk