We set up a ground blind and put out some dekes. We use both electronic call and mouth calls. We like to mouth call them until they are in "the zone", which im gonna guess and say that's within 2-300 yards, and then we start the electronic caller. It's so much fun, we have a blast. One piece of advice I'll give you from my experience is to let the scout go. But if u do decide to shoot at the scout, don't miss!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A Crow hunt can provide some great wing shooting and about as much fun as a shotgunner can ask for. Like the fellers stated above a good electronic caller and a setup similar to what waterfowlers use, decoys, a blind and good camo clothing will almost certainly provide some great action.

I started out mouth calls used in conjunction with an early Stewart game caller, it worked well as far as sound quality but it was a real heavy contraption that used about a dozen D cell batteries, a steel megaphone speaker, long cord and played cassette tapes. Obsolete compared to today's digital modern light weight wireless remote controlled callers. None the less I killed quite a few crows with it.

There is also rifle hunting which for me is great fun and challenging, I have probably taken just as many Crows with varmint rifles at some pretty serious distances when chuck hunting. The longest kill shot I have ever made was a Crow with my 220 Swift.

I saw on that Bizarre Foods TV show Crow breast wrapped in bacon being cooked up, eaten and savored, they are not too appetizing to me though and I will pass.

Al

Edited by airedale

Airedale. I too use the same Johhny Stewart as you. Have schlepped it out many times. I'm the worst wing shooter going and have only hit 2 in all my efforts. 

I was never sure whether to shoot the scout or not . 

I may add to your bacon covered recipe to cook as you listed , throw out crow and eat the bacon. 

I have about 8 crow dekes and an owl. When we shoot ( ok , more my friends ) crows well set them up as decoys in our spread. 

I have two good sets of snow camo but a white sheet with head and arm holes cut out works well , white cheap hazmat paper disposable suits as well. And " honey ( says the wife ) , where's our bed linens?" Um ... 

• Like 1

"Airedale. I too use the same Johhny Stewart as you. Have schlepped it out many times."

==========================================

I peddled off the old heavy Johnny Stewart many years ago and purchased a much lighter digital FoxPro electronic caller with a remote control. I have Crow calls programed on it but have yet to actually use it for Crows. These days along with mouth calls I hunt mostly varmints.

Al

I  was an avid crow hunter back in the 60's and 70s...I started out calling them by mouth, then I   switched to an Olt's closed reed call ( which would "freeze" up in the heat of battle)  and then  the old guy who ran the local sporting goods store bought a Johnny Stewart  electronic caller, which he would rent out for $5  per day.  It used 45 RPM records and took a dozen D batteries to run.We finally had access to HIGH TECH...

In about 1973 a buddy of mine bought a caller similar to the one we rented...We killed lots of crows over it. I remember several times when we shot over 50 in a day....During March and September back in those days, no game seasons were open, so all we did was hunt crows..I would estimate that I have probably shot close to 1000 of them in my lifetime... I love wingshooting, and to a wingshooter, crow hunting is about as much fun as a fellow can have with his clothes on.

I haven't shot crows in years. Now I feed them in my backyard.  I DID go out last fall with a couple of old buddies and we shot a couple dozen just for old times sake...It was still a lot of fun, but I don't shoot many critters anymore unless I intend to eat them, or at least sell their pelt.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dinsdale said:

You couldn't use your hand cranked Victrola?

:rofl:

I turned that into a lake trout rig....

Some of y'all who are familiar with Fingers Lakes trout fishing may remember  the multiple leader Seth Green trolling rigs..Many  old Victrolas were modified to into "reels" to accommodate the line for trout rigs... A rod was not used...The fisherman would hold the line in his hand and when a trout was hooked, the Victrola spindle was used to wind in the line.

• Like 1