I'm glutten for punishment

Pat Rockets

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well back when you could feed deer after the season and before, i started feeding with 1 hanging spin feeder and went thru about a ton of corn, 3 years later i was going thru 10ton plus at 4 feeders with in 100 yards of each other to allow other members of the herd to eat (them dominant does do a number even to old mature bucks once they shed their horns). the average cost per 100lbs bag then was about 5-6$ the food plots i now have produce almost twice the tonnage at a fraction of the cost. I would not go back to feeding at all. Plots and creating natural browse is a lot more cost effective, and we seem to have enough deer to shoot every year...and we pass a lot more than we shoot. ...... just my opinion.

Chart of prescribed burns in NY

http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/42438.html

wildland fires and wildfires for part of 2010

http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/68333.html 

If I understand their definitions correctly, the figures shown relate to "Wildland fires" which by their definition (previous page) include all fires intentional and unplanned. I didn't see anything that separated out prescribed burns as a quantity from the accidental, natural, and other types of fires. So, I am still not sure if this is still a current practice, or how significant that activity really is in this state. Did I miss something?

I totally disagree with your idea and statemnt on foodplots.

My contribution is a tad different

Most writers say feeders train deer and do not provide as much of a harvest opportunity. Also in an area of high browse (and ag) like w NY- they would only be money makers when the herd was stressed/starving

Biggest issue- why say more deer need to go if no one knows the population? Not a good move to kill more or even do what we're doing now

a 'No Kill Zone' around a feeder??? Are you guys serious??

Poachers shooting game out of season, headhunting & hacksawing skull caps, People shooting from houses, shooting from vehicles, sneaking in state parks, trespassing on posted & unposted lands without a care in the world, but the 'No Kill Zone' will be respected... If only we had Al Gore's' Lock Box'...

NOT...

I posted something along these lines a while ago.. Habitat improvement IS a vital piece of any program to a healthier deer herd, but I cant see a state-wide feeder program..  A partnership of the DEC with volunteers would be needed first off if anything was going to get done, because paid manpower would sink it outright without buying a single thing. If DEC could structure some type of work-core to get us involved, NY could be a 'big buck, public land destination'..

• 3 weeks later...