Rut predictions ?

Hunter9396

36 minutes ago, Hunter9396 said:

When do you guys think the rut will start?  I live in southern ny.. is it different from upstate ny? 

There is a thread under Deer Hunting, topic 2016 Rut Predictions. You will find plenty of info to your question there. And just ask away if you have any more questions. 

Edited by grampy
  • Like 1

I like Halloween for a best start day. Killed many bucks on that very date. Forget the rut predictions. Believe you're looking for the best shot at a buck? 

Hear me out. We all know buck to doe ratios are out of wack somewhat. We all know best bet is a good buck to doe ratio. During peak rut many does are in heat. The true nature of the out of wack ratio is in play. Too many does in heat all at one time, Bucks running all over seemingly never still. They're hard to get a shot at n why would they answer a call or scent. A week or so before peak rut the buck/does coming into heat ratio is much more competitive. The bucks are in search mode(walking stage) n once they find a hot doe often more than one buck is in hot pursuit or at least trailing. Being they're competitive they respond much more readily to calls, scents n visual stimulants. 

Combine bucks in walk stage w a high buck to doe coming in ratio compared to the rest n I'm in the woods most assured during the earlier stage. 

This isn't saying the rut isn't crazy fun but it's just hatder to get a shot very often. 

Personal prediction, (don't care bout Alzheimer's prediction) is the rut will be so so. Years where I hunt it seems the best rut comes when there is a good mast crop. Rubs, scrapes, looking, chasing. 

I hunt northern NJ n southern NY n the mast just isn't there very heavy. The peak rut in our area is often 11/8-11/15 but be aware visible rut can be less if it's overly hot but they're still rutting either way

Edited by Bowguy 1

When do you guys think the rut will start?  I live in southern ny.. is it different from upstate ny? 

I live an hr north of Albany and I have a camp in the central Adirondacks and the rut at camp is always 10-14 days after home. I also hunt schoharie county and the rut seems pretty close to the same as home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk