Shooting with pain

fasteddie

I had a follow up doctor appointment Monday . After checking my records he asked if I wanted to get the annual Flu Shot and said I hadn't had a Tetanus shot in 10 years so I said let's do it . I got the Tetanus shot in my right arm . I didn't feel anything until I went to bed Monday night . I can still feel some pain in my right shoulder but shot 30 arrows last nigh and 20 from my stand this afternoon . I don't remember any shot bothering me this much except for the 3 stepper they gave us at Boot Camp . 

Getting old sucks but it beats the alternative ! 

16 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I have a shoulder injury that after 2 surgeries And the VA suggesting another I don't think will ever heal. My draw looks really ugly and I can't shoot nearly as much as I used to but I have learned to deal with it for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess it will happen to everyone eventually :(. I'm still hopeful, and not just hopeful but I do believe, that eventually orthopedic medicine is going to get to the point where joint pain from age is essentially a thing of the past, rather like many other medical things we've put to bed. We just need them to figure out a way to really effectively graft cartilage and encourage recovery of injured ligaments and tendons in ways not currently doable. I quit running years back due to a dicey knee. I'd love to take it up again in 20 years.

I had a follow up doctor appointment Monday . After checking my records he asked if I wanted to get the annual Flu Shot and said I hadn't had a Tetanus shot in 10 years so I said let's do it . I got the Tetanus shot in my right arm . I didn't feel anything until I went to bed Monday night . I can still feel some pain in my right shoulder but shot 30 arrows last nigh and 20 from my stand this afternoon . I don't remember any shot bothering me this much except for the 3 stepper they gave us at Boot Camp . 

Eddie is so old that when he was in the service they issued long bows! And he still in the woods every year! That's one tough old sailor.

8 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I have a shoulder injury that after 2 surgeries And the VA suggesting another I don't think will ever heal. My draw looks really ugly and I can't shoot nearly as much as I used to but I have learned to deal with it for now.

I once met a guy who's forearm had been chewed up by machinery. It looked like a shark had used it as toothpick. But sheer tenacity and continually working with it, helped it heal and become functional. He shook my hand with that arm, could have crushed my hand.

Have u tried rubber band exercises? 

Edited by Papist

I once met a guy who's forearm had been chewed up by machinery. It looked like a shark had used it as toothpick. But sheer tenacity and continually working with it, helped it heal and become functional. He shook my hand with that arm, could have crushed my hand.

Have u tried rubber band exercises? 

Yea I did 3 years worth of physical therapy and the 2 surgeries. It hurts more now than it ever did. Oh well I'm thankful to have an arm to hurt, too many that I know came back without limbs and would love to have one with pain!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Yea I did 3 years worth of physical therapy and the 2 surgeries. It hurts more now than it ever did. Oh well I'm thankful to have an arm to hurt, too many that I know came back without limbs and would love to have one with pain!

You may also like to try gelatin and a fulvic acid mineral supplement. I have experience with healing and pain reduction from both.  An old sports knee injury used to give terrible trouble. Now I hardly ever notice it.

Check out Great lakes gelatin and a Fulvic acid mineral suppliment

Edited by Papist
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Buck master try n elite. Very easy to draw bows. I have really bad shoulders too n Im comfortable w them. Try one n see if it helps

Last time I got the double whammy of flu and tetanus shot together, it hurt for a couple weeks! And I too remember the "shot" gun line in basic training! But I wasn't such a wimp back in those days!!!

These days, I need surgery in both shoulders and have been putting it off for quite awhile now. When I can't use em I'll get the surgery. Till then I deal with it. Backed my bow down to 50lbs. or so and can only hold full draw for a few seconds. But I'm still in the game. So I'm good.

I didn't mean to mislead anyone with the post . This is only temporary . The tetanus shot has caused the pain and it should go away in a few days . I normally sleep on my right side but can't at it puts pressure on the shoulder . With the expectation of the pain going away and the kidney stone getting busted up with sound waves , I am hoping to be in shape by October 1st . Normally I have a pretty high pain threshold . I will just have to stay optimistic .

In the USMC boot camp , they gave it what was called a 3 step shot . After the shot by the time you took the 3rd step It felt like you had 50 pound lead weight in your hand and your arm just dropped . 

Does anyone remember getting shots with compressed air ? We got them a couple years later in the Corps .

We are hunters pain or no pain we still go at it because we love our time in nature. I have 2 bulging disks and 2 rupturec disks along with spinal rheumatoid arthritis in my back. Bad shoulder from rotator cuff surgery and bad right left knee from 3 knee surgeries. Still out there every season. Last December I dislocated my left knee and broke it. Lower leg bone split with the grain from knee to ankle. This season will be a little tougher but I refuse to sit even one day on the couch. Gotta love what hunters will go through to enjoy what we love doing.  

• Like 3

In 1974, we got the compressed air gun shots at Fort Jackson SC. Walk down the line getting shots in both arms at the same time. Six or eight in all. Everyone pretending it didn't hurt! But it sure did!

19 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

I didn't mean to mislead anyone with the post . This is only temporary . The tetanus shot has caused the pain and it should go away in a few days . I normally sleep on my right side but can't at it puts pressure on the shoulder . With the expectation of the pain going away and the kidney stone getting busted up with sound waves , I am hoping to be in shape by October 1st . Normally I have a pretty high pain threshold . I will just have to stay optimistic .

In the USMC boot camp , they gave it what was called a 3 step shot . After the shot by the time you took the 3rd step It felt like you had 50 pound lead weight in your hand and your arm just dropped . 

Does anyone remember getting shots with compressed air ? We got them a couple years later in the Corps .

9 hours ago, Core said:

I guess it will happen to everyone eventually :(. I'm still hopeful, and not just hopeful but I do believe, that eventually orthopedic medicine is going to get to the point where joint pain from age is essentially a thing of the past, rather like many other medical things we've put to bed. We just need them to figure out a way to really effectively graft cartilage and encourage recovery of injured ligaments and tendons in ways not currently doable. I quit running years back due to a dicey knee. I'd love to take it up again in 20 years.

They have come up with a way  to regrow and repair ligaments and tendons without surgery. It is not humane trials now and having great results. Less pain no surgery and things work like new after. 

I watched a video on it earlier this year. They inject a synthetic chemical in the area that needs repair. That material then grows new or repairs the damaged portion. They fill the joint with a foam type material that expands fills and surrounds the joint to protect while you are healing . Really cool actually.

I think the worst pain I have ever felt is when the urologist pulled the Stent out . I will be having another one inserted when they do the blasting . The stent removal reminded me of the "T - Handle" cars I used to buy for my boys . 

Stubby 68 - You are my new hero ! You have been through a hell of a lot ! 

12 hours ago, fasteddie said:

That shot sucks! I know it hurts but if you massage the injection site after it was given every couple hours and continue to do so the pain will only last for 1 or 2 days. I always get shots in my left arm being right handed.

16 minutes ago, stubby68 said:

They have come up with a way  to regrow and repair ligaments and tendons without surgery. It is not humane trials now and having great results. Less pain no surgery and things work like new after. 

I watched a video on it earlier this year. They inject a synthetic chemical in the area that needs repair. That material then grows new or repairs the damaged portion. They fill the joint with a foam type material that expands fills and surrounds the joint to protect while you are healing . Really cool actually.

Is this with the cadaver tissue you're talking? I know they do repairs with that now.

I think the stuff you're talking about is they place it between the tear and the mucsle/tendon regrows through it or something.

Edited by chas0218

Thanks Eddie but no hero here. I was indestructible when I was younger and paying for it now. Not that I am that old just feel it. I dreed what I will feel like in 20 more years. Oh just got reminded was attacked by a bull years ago. Crushed my fore arm between his head and a steal beam. Works good now but still reminder me it is there from time to time.

6 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

Is this with the cadaver tissue?

Not sure can't find the video to post but will try to find. I saw it in January or so and since I suffer from crs I can not recall what they used or what the procedure was called. My Dr told me about it . Actually really cool stuff

Oh you said cadaver tissue. No it is a synthetic  material they inject into the injured tension or ligaments.  It binds with your natural tissue and grows or repairs what is damaged. Sounds like something from a syfi movie. When doc first told me about it I thought he was  kidding so he showed me the video.  I wanted to have that done to fix my knee but had to have it done the old way. 

The injection is intramuscular so it temporarily causes muscle damage that can last 2-3 days. 50 shots is a lot to pull back immediately after the injection. Don't shoot as much this week otherwise you may compensate, pull back differently, and cause a shoulder injury.  And yes I am a doctor

• Like 1