pickled peppers...

growalot

So my jalapenos produced like crazy this year and besides giving them away I dried some and made poppers then froze them. ( we ate a lot of them)  I pickled some..Wow my poppers weren't bad,some heat but manageable. I had one pint of pickled ones not seal and tried one slice...OMG! :shout: lol  My Son is going to love these! I'm thinking great in dips, in chili,bean soups,and on subs(Ohhhh... tuna sub with hot peppers)...maybe pulled pork?...What a great flavor...garlic and bay leaf...may have to take seeds out of next batches in future, very little will go a loooonnnngggg ways.

Anyone else have hot pickled pepper recipes?

• Like 3

I always leave the seeds in. A few years ago when we were experimenting, I took the seeds out and they lost a lot of the heat.

I don't cook with them a lot as the g/f isn't a fan of real spicy foods, so when I make chili i have to make two batches. I also make poppers ( even from cherry bombs ), stuffed with cheese and ham on the grill ( you can also do this in the oven ), on sandwiches, burgers, just eat them like a pickle, I make my own salsa, sometimes I will put them in a blender and put that with some various hot sauces to make my own hot sauce to spin wings in..... The one thing the g/f always laughs at me for is drinking the juice from the jars. LOL

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 0:21 PM, growalot said:

So my jalapenos produced like crazy this year and besides giving them away I dried some and made poppers then froze them. ( we ate a lot of them)  I pickled some..Wow my poppers weren't bad,some heat but manageable. I had one pint of pickled ones not seal and tried one slice...OMG! :shout: lol  My Son is going to love these! I'm thinking great in dips, in chili,bean soups,and on subs(Ohhhh... tuna sub with hot peppers)...maybe pulled pork?...What a great flavor...garlic and bay leaf...may have to take seeds out of next batches in future, very little will go a loooonnnngggg ways.

Anyone else have hot pickled pepper recipes?

Grow

Was at a party a couple of weeks ago and had some made like below: Got the recipe and bought a quart of jalapenos and tried a batch myself. They turned out great and have been eating them out of jar since. I like jalapenos but am not a big fan of vinegar so never pickled them. I found these to be delicious!!!

Only drawback as I am sure you know is doing them in oil can be somewhat messy. I included a small recipe break down at the bottom if you don't want to do 8 quarts and want to try it.  Messy but good.

HOT PEPPERS

8 quarts jalapeno peppers, washed

1 quart vinegar

2 cups canning salt

2 tbsp Oregano

4-5 cloves garlic, finely cut

Canola or Corn oil to cover when canning.

1. While wearing gloves, cut peppers into rings.

2. Place in pot with vinegar, salt, and enough water to cover; let stand overnight.

3. Next day drain and rinse with cold water.

4. Return to pot, add garlic, oregano, and corn or canola oil. Let sit for a couple of hrs. &   mix/stir on occasion

5. Mix well and add to sterilized jars, cover with oil leaving 1/4 inch of space on top.

6. Don't tighten seals too tightly; place on cookie sheet in 300 degree oven for 15-20 minutes. Place on towels, cover to seal.

For 1 qt. Of peppers

4 oz vineger

¼ cup of salt

1 tsp. Of oregano

½ clove chopped garlic

Makes 7  ½ Pint Jars

• Like 1

Thank You Steve...and I bet they aren't too hot either...Mr B took some fresh to guys at work...guys that know their peppers and they said these were the hottest jalapenos they'd ever eaten, but have the best flavor. I heard this a lot so did a bit of research. Taking seeds out helps and I know from my poppers a quick parboils and rinse does as well...actually took most heat out.  But what breaks down capsaisin  is fats and oils...it's the fat and protein in milk the relieves the burning in ones mouth and throat...I bet these are delicious and I will try them...

I had one jar not seal on me  so Mr B has been trying them...he can manage just one slice on a cracker per night...these have the seeds,second batch none..hoping those are a tad better heat wise...can't really notice the vinegar in these..and they are great in cooking. But I'll bet your recipe is fantastic for cooking and using the oil as a dipping oil...wonder how Olive oil would work?

3 hours ago, growalot said:

I had one jar not seal on me  so Mr B has been trying them...he can manage just one slice on a cracker per night...these have the seeds,second batch none..hoping those are a tad better heat wise...can't really notice the vinegar in these..and they are great in cooking. But I'll bet your recipe is fantastic for cooking and using the oil as a dipping oil...wonder how Olive oil would work?

Recipe calls for canola or corn oil but I bet Olive oil would be just as good. I used canola because we have quite a bit of that on hand. Maybe olive oil on a small batch next time.

Can you pickle the sweet green bell peppers? Would they be any good? Maybe that's what I can do with all those tiny peppers that are starting to show up. There's a bunch of them that are half-dollar size that are just going to eventually freeze and rot. I mean there are not even going to be enough to fill a pint jar but it might make a good experiment.

Doc, yes you can pickle those green peppers.  Our family has been doing it for years.  We usually use the large bells and cut them into flat pieces so that we can fit as many as possible into a jar.  i put a clove or two of garlic and one jalapeno in to add some heat to them.  Wide mouth jars make it a lot easier.  They are not "hot", but very tart from the vinegar.

If you need the instructions I can post them here as written by my mother. 

Yes, the instructions would be greatly appreciated. I don't have very many of them and because of the small batch size, it would be strictly an experiment. I am thinking I have about a dozen of them to work with and they are about the size of a half-dollar. I was thinking of pickling them whole seeds and all.

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Yes, the instructions would be greatly appreciated. I don't have very many of them and because of the small batch size, it would be strictly an experiment.

Emmi And Mangano Family Pickled Green Peppers

Cut green peppers into strips.  No red peppers.

In clean canning jars put one clove garlic (optional) and a piece of hot pepper (ie jalapeno), the size depending on how hot you want your peppers to be. Then stuff as many cut green peppers as you can into the remaining space.

Bring to a rapid boil 5 quarts vinegar, 5 quarts of water and 1 cup of salt.  This is enough to fill about 18 quarts.

While the vinegar and water are at a rapid boil, using a ladle pour over the peppers in the jar, then quickly seal jar with sanitized canning lid and ring. After a couple of hours check to see that the jars have sealed, the lid will be depressed. If after a few hours they are not sealed, empty the vinegar from the jars and bring to a hard boil again.  Pour over the peppers and reseal.  

They will be pickled in about 10 to 12 weeks.  The should be crunchy.  If soft, then you have not sealed properly or fully covered the peppers in the jar.

20 hours ago, Otto said:

Emmi And Mangano Family Pickled Green Peppers

Cut green peppers into strips.  No red peppers.

In clean canning jars put one clove garlic (optional) and a piece of hot pepper (ie jalapeno), the size depending on how hot you want your peppers to be. Then stuff as many cut green peppers as you can into the remaining space.

Bring to a rapid boil 5 quarts vinegar, 5 quarts of water and 1 cup of salt.  This is enough to fill about 18 quarts.

While the vinegar and water are at a rapid boil, using a ladle pour over the peppers in the jar, then quickly seal jar with sanitized canning lid and ring. After a couple of hours check to see that the jars have sealed, the lid will be depressed. If after a few hours they are not sealed, empty the vinegar from the jars and bring to a hard boil again.  Pour over the peppers and reseal.  

They will be pickled in about 10 to 12 weeks.  The should be crunchy.  If soft, then you have not sealed properly or fully covered the peppers in the jar.

Thanks. Because they are so small, I am going to try leaving them whole with the seeds in just to see how they turn out. Do you anticipate any problem with that? I'm just trying to figure out what to do with all these miniature peppers that I know will never mature. So if they don't turn out, I will have lost nothing but some time. Thanks again for the recipe and procedure.