New here

I have hunted the Pine Bush, and plan to do so again next week.  Lots of ticks...  There are a few WMAs (Wildlife Management Areas) and state parks in the area to check out as well. 

This link to DEC should help get you started on finding spots that are reasonably accessible:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8286.html

Welcome! Good to have you join us! Pine Bush has lots of deer and can be very productive, especially if you can find an out of the way place to get in there. Also check out Partridge Run. Lots of land there and not as crowded as some places. Good luck!

43 minutes ago, Bowsarrowsgunsandbullets said:

Thanks for the welcomes. I have not been hunting in a very long time. Kind of in the dark as to hunting areas.  Like I said I know of hunting the Pine Bush, but do not know specifics. Same for Partridge Run. If anyone can help out with tips to where to start I would appreciate it. 

Any tip I could give you, would not be as good, as you doing some research on the area's and putting your boots on the ground. Just a little research, will show maps of these places clearly showing, boundaries, parking, topography, access points and more. Then get out there and look for deer sign! Please don't take this as a slam, as that is the farthest from my intentions. Just giving you a gentle nudge to get out and do what should be done "before" the season starts. Good luck and I wish you success!

• Like 2

Welcome aboard!  I have to agree with Grampy, the best thing to do is check out some land online, check out the topo and satellite maps then go check it out.  Try to get in early, before first light (After you are familiar with the area.)  Get a GPS!  They are great for navigation and marking spots on the map.  Use a compass and good maps and know how to use them. 

Know the laws for your area, some spots are bow only!  Your local DEC should have great information for you, don't be afraid to call them and ask for some help in this respect.   

This is the link to the DEC mapping page, great info! 

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/45478.html

Good luck, wishing you success this year!

Edited by NFA-ADK
  • Like 1