Why do you go for bigger bucks?

stoneam2006

Well I personal believe just about everybody has sum good points here. I'm going to say that I've killed lots of bucks! Prob 2 a yr for many years! Then started to grow up a bit and relive that it wasn't about killing. It was about enjoying the sport. I get it we have to kill to fill the freezer and its part of this sport. But I enjoy my time in the woods. So for the most part I let the little guys go! I leave them for my sons!! Still waiting for them to take there first buck! Can't wait! But it's about the time in the woods and time with friends and family! So shoot what u want. Big bucks are few and far between. So like lots of others have stated toward the end of bow I'll take a 6 or bigger but has to be last wk! And if I take one with the bow it has to be a big boy during gun. Happy hunting guys!! Be safe!!

I can't believe the lack of confidence people have from " State land " , the name calling and disrespect- real mature guys. 

Well only photos will validate me, and I think it is great how skeptical so many of you are that I harvested these on state land, and no I am not next to a farm which I was asked. I hunt solid timber, heavily hunted and I still always get the job done. I feel great shooting a nice buck after letting a smaller one walk by, here are photos of some of the racks, the other racks I have are at my Uncles cabin- including my biggest wall mount.

I was also asked what do i consider a mature buck ? Everyone of these bucks are mature- big body, good racks and NO WAY any of these are 1 1/2 like someone was commenting. These are all 2 1/2 - 4 1/2 year olds, for NY and state land these are GREAT mature Bucks. 

Lets see if you can keep the comments respectful this time- I doubt it ! 

LET THEM GROW- NO EXCUSES- #STEPUPYOURGAME

IMG_1829.JPG

IMG_1835.JPG

IMG_1834.JPG

IMG_3627.jpeg

I can't believe the lack of confidence people have from " State land " , the name calling and disrespect- real mature guys. 

Well only photos will validate me, and I think it is great how skeptical so many of you are that I harvested these on state land, and no I am not next to a farm which I was asked. I hunt solid timber, heavily hunted and I still always get the job done. I feel great shooting a nice buck after letting a smaller one walk by, here are photos of some of the racks, the other racks I have are at my Uncles cabin- including my biggest wall mount.

I was also asked what do i consider a mature buck ? Everyone of these bucks are mature- big body, good racks and NO WAY any of these are 1 1/2 like someone was commenting. These are all 2 1/2 - 4 1/2 year olds, for NY and state land these are GREAT mature Bucks. 

IMG_1829.JPG

IMG_1835.JPG

IMG_1834.JPG

IMG_3627.jpeg

Good looking deer my biggest buck to date is a stateland 8 pt fb9760f75438fb5107fd549247293551.jpg

But I'll still shoot a fawn spike or spotted deer if I want with my tags...sorry....not sorry

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

When I first started letting bucks I stopped looking t the racks all together I realize that the areas I hunt will rarely produce big racks, I judge a deer by weight. I want to shoot a 180lb buck every year. Last year I shot a 6pt that probably didn't have 80"s of antler but was a 4yr old And weighed 175 that is a trophy to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Hang Em High said:

IMG_1829.JPG

IMG_1835.JPG

IMG_1834.JPG

IMG_3627.jpeg

What state land were these taken at ?

45 minutes ago, Hang Em High said:

46 minutes ago, Hang Em High said:

Coming from you.....:rofl:

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Hang Em High said:

So you do shoot immature bucks. 4.5 is just bordering maturity. Anything under is not a MATURE buck regardless of where it lives - especially 2.5's. A 2.5 is equal to a high schooler. Telling people not to shoot a 1.5 so you can whack them a year later as a young teenager is just plain funny - respectfully of course.

• Like 5

Great comments gentleman, so much of hunting is lessons. I hope this is a lesson for people who need it, the more yearlings that live only will make for more trophies and fuller freezers for everyone- win win win for everyone ! 

You never did say what part of the state your stateland bucks come from don't need specific parcels or anything but what part of state are we looking at.

BTW it's the way you try and force your opinion lots have a problem with there are alot of guys here who only shoot mature deer and also consistently encourage it but not force it on anyone

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Hang Em High said:

Great comments gentleman, so much of hunting is lessons. I hope this is a lesson for people who need it, the more yearlings that live only will make for more trophies and fuller freezers for everyone- win win win for everyone ! 

Still no  answer no mention of town county or state land name .

Anyone can shoot a big buck on a farm somewhere and then claim they shot it on public land btw . Since  your not answering looks suspicious  ..  

Well after last year's mature 8pt...I'm not sure I want anther "big"buck...his meat was nearly impossible to stomach.. Now I shot him for body size not rack.I've shot many big boys but that one was the heaviest and only one with bad tasting meat. But years ago I started going with shooting deer same or bigger point wise , than previously never going under an 8 pt . Not for trophies,just personal goals....I tend to manage life with personal goals

I 100% and respect what you're saying stoneam2006- I was actually not even the person who started this conversation. Just seems to have the strongest back bone to keep it going, but yes it is tough not to say anything after seeing a half dozen of so tiny deer harvested already on this forum. That is why I jumped in and said what I wanted to say, I am glad many agreed and disagreed with me, I think we all know deep down what is right. 

LJC No need to personal message me again or keep posting me about my location, I will not walk you to my stand either. I take out co workers and friends to my area without hesitation, I have no intrest in telling someone my area who has done nothing but doubt my integrity. A mans word is all he has, and I have been nothing but honest- so do us both a favor and don't doubt my word again !  

You're a ranger right? What did you use to
Kill all those beauty's Etool? Kukri? MRE fork? I know someone with your skills can't be using lame implements like a gun or bow.

I 100% and respect what you're saying stoneam2006- I was actually not even the person who started this conversation. Just seems to have the strongest back bone to keep it going, but yes it is tough not to say anything after seeing a half dozen of so tiny deer harvested already on this forum. That is why I jumped in and said what I wanted to say, I am glad many agreed and disagreed with me, I think we all know deep down what is right. 

LJC No need to personal message me again or keep posting me about my location, I will not walk you to my stand either. I take out co workers and friends to my area without hesitation, I have no intrest in telling someone my area who has done nothing but doubt my integrity. A mans word is all he has, and I have been nothing but honest- so do us both a favor and don't doubt my word again !  

The problem with location is it makes a huge difference some parts of the state hold many more deer than other which also means more mature deer. That is the reason for the question. At least why I wonder. And that's the difference between me and you I don't care what other people kill I'm glad to see anyone kill anything they want and if I was there I'd fist bump them Everytime bc it's still also feat to kill a Whitetail. Especially with a bow. Making a good shot tracking dressing and all the rest of work that goes into the harvest of a trophy even if I can carry outta woods.(I have done that a few time). It's a personal choice always should be

• Like 4

I'm a new hunter and the idea of taking a fawn for the sake of a successful hunt doesn't appeal to me.  I could just as easily enjoy the many sights and sounds of the woods and consider that time spent as a successful day.  I didn't see, let alone harvest, one deer last season, but thoroughly enjoyed every minute spent hunting, observing and learning.

Instead, I will work harder to be a better hunter and put myself in a position to harvest an older deer.  There is more of a challenge to that.  How others choose to hunt (with respect to all the various laws and limits) is none of my concern. 

• Like 2

The problem I have with people saying you don't "need" to shoot a younger deer, is it reminds me of people saying you don't need an Ar-15, more than x amount of rounds, more than x amount of guns or an anti saying you don't "need" to hunt. Maybe most of us don't "need" to shoot a fawn or young buck, but we have the legal right to and we should be sticking up for those who harvest any legal deer. 

• Like 8

55 minutes ago, Hang Em High said:

You brag on here but you don't actually say anything about your location you could at least say a town or county. 

Actually you did not even say if you shot them with a,gun or bow .

Why is that ?

The only reason is because you no  the place you hunt has no hunting pressure. 

Someplace nobody can get to 

Obviously you will not even mention the county . Nice racks where ever they came from 

Every part of the state is different some parts of more deer mostly farm land very little public land .xct 

By you not telling us at least the county. how can you criticize others that probably don't hunt in your area  . EveryoneS  hunting situation is different 

Edited by LJC

1 hour ago, Hang Em High said:

Although i agree that older would give more in the way of meat but that can be had in does. Each hunter has to grow inside themselves as a hunter and we all start out small.

Funny that you show these racks and i just let one walk as big as your biggest here on state land yesterday and would not even raise a weapon to look at any the size you have shown. Years ago when in another stage i would have.

• Like 2

In your original "statement". You ended with I can't wait until 3pts one side is implemented state wide. Do you think you could possible explain to me how that will save those coveted mature trophies you think others should be shooting? Please make it good, because I will question you on your views. If you are honest, feel free to say no thank you, and I won't ask again.

BTW..I have to ask looking at those ? oh rd...did you ever have any of the aged...or are you working on your personal opinion of age?

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

Although i agree that older would give more in the way of meat but that can be had in does. Each hunter has to grow inside themselves as a hunter and we all start out small.

Funny that you show these racks and i just let one walk as big as your biggest here on state land yesterday and would not even raise a weapon to look at any the size you have shown. Years ago when in another stage i would have.

This right here! We all start out small. My first deer was 3 points and each year my standards grew. @Hang Em High Out of all the deer you showed us, only 2 of those were likely "mature" and the rest are all 2 1/2 year olds. Id definitely shoot the two bigger bucks, but I wouldn't even take my hands out of my pockets for the other two. Now should i be getting on your case about shooting 2 1/2 year old deer? I have nothing against you shooting them or seeing them as "big" deer, just don't knock someone for shooting a deer that's smaller because someone will always be able to knock you for shooting those deer. 

• Like 1

I still don't get why this all started over Elmo's deer being called 1/2 year old. There is no way that his deer was born this year and had spikes and that wacky base both of which that came thru the skin. Will someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought 1/2 year old bucks are button bucks at most????

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I still don't get why this all started over Elmo's deer being called 1/2 year old. There is no way that his deer was born this year and had spikes and that wacky base both of which that came thru the skin. Will someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought 1/2 year old bucks are button bucks at most????

I think in the very most rare occasions yearlings antlers can protrude from the skin...but this is rare even in primo agricultural land and let alone Westchester. Definitely not what Elmo shot.