Why do you go for bigger bucks?

stoneam2006

2 hours ago, Rebel Darling said:

.....I struggled with that harvest for a while, having only realized that it was a button buck after tracking him.

Don't struggle with harvest.  you take a deer for your own reasons.  if just before harvest you have any doubt in any form don't pull the trigger or release an arrow.  when you do feel free to be a proud and happy peacock.

.....As a new hunter (this is my second bow season, and third season total)...... I don't know the answer, and I imagine that it lies somewhere in between and influenced by many points of view, but I can say that after having read Peterson's debate and subsequent realizations, I have no issue with harvesting a fawn if the opportunity presents itself, and the time is right for me.  At the moment, I'm thinking that if enough hunters employ a variety of harvest criteria, the deer should be fine over the long-run.....

even those that hunt or manage deer are always learning something new and constantly evolving their decisions.  your just starting and don't need to bare the burden of harvest decision impacts on the future of deer hunting.  just get out there to watch and learn about what deer do and why.  should a nice legal opportunity present itself, then harvest something and learn what it took to seal the deal.  as you get more experience harvest goals will develop and you can start wading through the whole idea of sustainable hunting.  get a mentor who's involved and is plugged into what's going on, not just the guy that goes out by himself to take a deer once a year ....unless he's looking for a hunting buddy.  if you're in the capital region then feel free to keep in contact with me.
Food for thought.  nature is way better than we could ever be for choosing which young deer is able to survive the first stages of life to evolve a sustainable population.  to keep that population under control nature spares no particular age.  that said there'd always be an age structure (young and old) for both male and female deer.  the more the population is as nature intended despite our influence the better off deer and hunting will be.

• Like 1

My personal goals cause me to pass up young bucks and wait for chances at older age class deer. At this point, I have plenty of opportunity to fill the freezer with does, so I dont need to shoot bucks for meat. 1 1/2 year old bucks are easy pickings for me, and Ive shot enough 2 1/2 year olds to where I decided I would up the challenge to 3 1/2 or older. Im actually hunting specific bucks on each of the farms I hunt, but if a different 3 1/2 year old or older buck gives me the opportunity, he will meet his demise.

Maybe someday Ill back it down to 2 1/2 or older again, and if I ever get into a situation where I cant kill so many does, I may even take 1 1/2 year old bucks to fill the freezer.

• Like 3

"I like big bucks and I cannot lie.  You other brothers can't deny ..."  - Sir Mix-A-Lot

Shoot whatever you want so long as its legal.  I try to be selective (meaning holding out for a 3.5 year old buck or older) but have the luxury of doing so because I see lots of deer.  If I saw a few deer a season, I probably wouldn't be selective.  Plenty of doe to fill the freezer.  And, for what its worth, I don't consider my standard to be "mature bucks" either.  A 3.5 has plenty of growing to do - maybe like an older teen in human years.  5 or 6 is mature, but I haven't seen many of those around (only 2-3 on cam on four properties in the last 4 years) so I will settle for something less than truly mature, but will be thrilled if the old man stops by the stand before I kill his younger teenage brother.  So why do I hold out, because I can without any real risk of an empty freezer.  And for those that shoot something younger, that's awesome!  No criticisms from me.  Enjoy the hunt and have fun that's what really matters.  Don't let others rain on the parade.  In fact, my buddy that has yet to shoot a deer will be thrilled with any deer and I will be equally thrilled for him - more so than seeing the great big buck hunter that knocks another stud down.  Its all relative.

• Like 10

14 hours ago, chrisw said:

Why don't you give all of us fawn killers an idea of what a "mature" deer is to you... Oh and feel free to show us pics of all of these mature deer you've harvested. I too hunt and run a lot of cameras on state land in 7F, 6K, 7M and 7A and I can tell you if you're waiting for only "mature" bucks then you'll be going seasons without deer often. Hell I consider a "mature" deer 4yrs + and I get few and far between on cameras, some years none, and I run 5 cameras year round...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Not trying to be smart but it isn't about the number of cameras. You need those cameras to be in an area that is home to a  mature deer. If there isn't a mature deer in that area you won't get a picture of it, there has to be be one there. State property is tough because the majority of people have the mindset "If I pass him (being a 1.5 or 2.5 year old buck) the next guy will shoot him." Unfortunately there are too many people out there like that. My entire family used to be that way until I killed a 5.5 year old that no one had ever saw. Ever since we have killed numerous deer that are 5.5 yr. old or older. We own 180 acres that spans over 1 sq. mile along with neighbors that will not take small bucks (120" or less).

I hunt "mature" bucks because they are harder to pattern, harder to sneak up on, just harder to hunt in every aspect. I love it when someone challenges me deer hunting or not. I challenge myself every year to out do my best. When I do it's the most rewarding feeling, I can't explain it but I'm proud. I do have to say that it is a huge adrenaline rush to have a big buck walk in versus a skippy doe or button buck. 

Edited by chas0218

15 hours ago, ....rob said:

I get that. But, many don't get what hunting is really about. You should still stay true to the heritage. I am not trying to argue, but as a hunter, I still try to hold true to the reason I hunt. For food, not a rack. 

Hold on, who are you to say what "hunting is about"? Hunting is about different things to different people. Always has been, always will be. There is no standardized "hunting heritage" that anyone needs to adhere to.

• Like 7

15 hours ago, ....rob said:

I get that. But, many don't get what hunting is really about. You should still stay true to the heritage. I am not trying to argue, but as a hunter, I still try to hold true to the reason I hunt. For food, not a rack. 

I don't believe those are the only reasons to hunt. What about the challenge pitting yourself against one of the smartest animals in the woods, a mature whitetail. And I am not just talking about bucks. I played cat and mouse with one doe over 3 seasons. Could always tell it was her becasue of the unique white features on her head. That do busted me more times than I can count. I don't know what ever became of her but she was one cunning little vixen. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Hang Em High said:

Thanks for starting this thread, this seems to be a very heated subject- I love it ! 

I can't believe how defensives some guys are getting, and how many names I have been called. My prediction is is you're hating on my comments you are a FAWN KILLER hah

Once again I am going to state my point- I seen first hand opening day last year, some  S.O.B.  pulling out a deer 1 handed, said he couldn't tell how small it was until he got up to it. That is unacceptable to me, no excuses ! 

People keep commenting about rack sizes, you can't eat racks blah blah blah - my point is its not that hard to harvest a MATURE buck or doe. Guess what ?!? You get even MORE MEAT. If that is so important to you, only makes sense to shoot a bigger more mature animal.

If you want to be the man known as a yearling killer, and fill up half a grocery bag full of meat, good luck with that. I will continue judging with disappointment ! LET THEM GROW !

I kill at least one doe fawn each year. I like the tender meat, and I know exactly what size the deer is. I could care less if you find it unacceptable, your opinion really doesnt mean jack squat to me.

• Like 5

I like to take a progressively larger buck each year if I'm so blessed. That said, I enjoy hunting my property and the big boys are few and far between. I do like venison, and certainly don't want an "empty freezer" year.

If it's late in the season, and I haven't filled a tag, the first small six that shows up isn't going any farther.

This is a good question, a fair question, a surprisingly tough question to answer.  I'm an average hunter, I put most, if not all my time into archery.  I try to take a doe for meat then I get selective.  In my area, good 6 points are rare and 8's really tough to come by.  Plus, I only have 25 acres.  I try to pass anything 6 and smaller in Oct and first week of Nov.  After that, I'll take any deer.  I rarely hunt more than 2 days during gun season, especially if I have had success during archery season.   It all depends on weather,  availability to hunt, situations.  As others have stated, if legal, do as you please.

• Like 1

At this stage of the game... just killing a deer doesn't excite me... it's about the experience for me... and personally I think the bigger deer give me the greatest challenge.  But, even that doesn't do it for me anymore... I like challenging myself as well... more primitive style weapons, staying on the ground, getting up close and personal, and hunting in lower density areas. It makes the kill all that much more satisfying. Meat hunting is easy for me... big buck hunting not so much.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I kill at least one doe fawn each year. I like the tender meat, and I know exactly what size the deer is. I could care less if you find it unacceptable, your opinion really doesnt mean jack squat to me.

I used to tell folks, anyone can hit a big deer, these fawns are a more challenging target !

• Like 6

I've shot a lot of,deer and many buck large and,small. I own the land I hunt in and know what is around so I wait,for,one of the older,bucks. No reason really other than its so easy to get a Deer

So I like a new challenge. I went,from shotgun,rifle,pistol, to muzzleloader,muzzle loading pistol, crossbow , I guess I'd try spear if,they were legal.. I even threw a knife at a Deer,once many moons ago.. I used every arrow I had and,it,still stood there..lol..  

An older buck is,just,more of a challange, I still shoot,does to,full the freezer so killing,a little buck isn't nessary.

• Like 3

Why I target bigger bucks. 

11) I have more than enough doe for meat if I need it for friends or family.

10) I don't hunt for meat, I eat out every day.  Most meat is donated with the promise that I am invited for a venison dinner.

9) Someone needs to protect our trees I figures I would volunteer and help by removing the biggest tree killer, the mighty buck!

8) If I shot the first buck I saw I would have a short season, I really enjoy the woods and have no issue eating tag soup. 

7) Because they have bigger handles to drag with!

6) I learn more by passing and observing deer than I ever will shooting the first one.  For me this is priceless!  

5) Young bucks and doe are dumb and do not know better until they get some experience. 

4) To become rich and famous!  :rofl:  Or possibly respected as a knowledgeable whitetail buck hunter.  

3) TV shows have corrupted me!  So I believe their is always a brute for me to hunt.

2) When you have many to choose from it is easy to pass, not true in some areas I hunt.  Those area's a basket 8 is considered a true trophy. 

1) It's a real challenge to outsmart an older deer.  Nothing thrills me more than calling in a deer except stalking, ambushing or tracking, lol.  OK I admit it I like watching any deer but those majestic bucks do something extra to me! 

Last but not least:  I like big antlers!  Simply put big bucks are in a class by themselves.  They do not look like young bucks and most doe all look the same to me.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Larry302 said:

I used to tell folks, anyone can hit a big deer, these fawns are a more challenging target !

Lol.. we are always picking on one of our buddies. He shot the smallest deer at 100+ yds with a shotgun. ,It weighed maybe 50#s.

We tell him his accuracy is awesome sportsmanship not so good.. all in good  natured ribbing..;).

Just because I wait for a mature doe(most of the time), doesn't mean everyone  has to..

• Like 1

I go for older bucks because..

1. Most years..My season would be over too quickly otherwise

2. More exciting 

3.I love antler soup..

4. More challenging 

This has not always been my practice. I probably have shot over twenty 1 1/2 yo bucks. In the past that was challenging  enough. 

There is even the occasion when all my reasons  ,except for soup, are provided by a young buck towards the end of a trip or season.

This may be a derail but post some pics of what bigger bucks are to you and why.  Probly varies widely.  No wrong answers here

That's another good point. One spot I hunt in 20 years hunting there I have never seen a buck outside the ears always "scrub" bucks seen some clearly older but still small 6s and 8s...as opposed to fingerlakes deer that can be 1.5 8s

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Bigger bucks is relative to a lot of factors.

I gave up trying to think why I hunt and why I target bigger bucks years ago. I've just accepted it. Other than having fun and hanging with friends and family, I couldn't tell you why I go after bigger bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4