New release for me

BigVal

After I've been using my spare this season and it failed on me yesterday and I've decided my main release is a goner since I can't find it still I'm getting a new one. I can get a decent deal on tru fire from a buddy so what do you recommend? I've never used the thumb style but open to it. Is it better? Or stick with the wrist wrap style?

I bought a T.R.U. Ball release in 1999 (my first release) then since I liked it so much I picked up a second one from uncle a year later to have as a backup.  Both are wrist strap models although one is more like a glove??

Neither one has EVER failed me although I've had to sew up the strap on my #1 unit a few times.  Very well made pieces IMO...........

• Like 1

I just bought a new wrist strap style and wish I had gone to thumb...said to be more accurate so that's the plan for this summer. Also said that the thumb style may lower draw length and change ancor point...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I am pretty sure your draw length will remain the same....but anchor point will most likely change....I have a sweet thumb release I was gonna try in my 3d league but never got around to really getting some solid practice time yet. They can be a freaking hair trigger be careful the first time you try one.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BigVal said:

Thanks guys I'm leaning toward the tru fire hardcore to kinda stick with what I know 

I would also stick with a strap if that's what you know.  The thumb release will definitely change your anchor and require sight adjustments.  Not really what you want to deal with on Nov. 2.

21 minutes ago, BigVal said:

Thanks guys I didn't even think about changing my sights and anchor and that stuff so I'll stick with the wrist style and maybe try out a thumb in the off season

thumb triggers and index triggered releases are both equally as accurate.  I shoot both.  thumb triggers for competition and wrist strap index trigger for hunting.  thumb triggers are said to be more accurate because a good thumb trigger hand held release can have a trigger with minimal travel that can break crisper than glass.  most don't practice correctly enough with a wrist strap index trigger.  they punch or pluck at the trigger.  a hand held release can be shot equally as bad though.  it won't change draw length but anchor point and peep alignment will probably be different.

I would stick with a wrist strap index trigger release.  a lot of good ones out there.  I'd go with one that has adjustable barrel length.  if you shoot a D-loop use a hook style vs jaws.  also go buckle versus Velcro for consistency in feel, length of release, and anchor points.  I've had great luck and customer service experience with TRU Ball releases.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

A thumb release to my shooting to another level so I started hunting with it too. I love not having a release on my wrist. As stated though it's not a mid season move8e205bd55f68ef661bd8faa19699d812.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

second this the thumb release made my grouping much better and not having a release to worry about banging into anything on the stand or blind is a great piece of mind.  

• Like 2

My wife and I both run a TRU Ball Scout. Mine wasn't a bone collector when I bought it but it the same release. I like how mine falls out of the way if I'm climbing the tree or something. I don't like the idea of a string and prefer the webbed strap it gives it a little more rigidity. I have considered a thumb release but I don't like how it isn't connected to my body, I also don't like the single fang style. I would also opt for the buckle over the velcro. I like my velcro but if you ever need to take it off every deer in the county will hear it.

It's funny, when I switched to a thumb release last spring I figured I'd have to order a second one in case I lost it in the woods because I was sure my POI would change. It didn't! I shot my wrist straps the exact same as my thumb release, I don't know if it's a fluke or what but I can shoot either without changing anything. Now I just carry a wrist strap in my pack as a backup. If you do decide in the future to use a thumb release give yourself ample time to practice with it. It took me a few months to really get used to it fully, and even longer to feel ultra confident in it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, chrisw said:

It's funny, when I switched to a thumb release last spring I figured I'd have to order a second one in case I lost it in the woods because I was sure my POI would change. It didn't! I shot my wrist straps the exact same as my thumb release, I don't know if it's a fluke or what but I can shoot either without changing anything. Now I just carry a wrist strap in my pack as a backup. If you do decide in the future to use a thumb release give yourself ample time to practice with it. It took me a few months to really get used to it fully, and even longer to feel ultra confident in it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

you should be able to take any release and have the same point of impact if you're aiming correctly.  it's more the idea that sometimes switching to a different release like a handheld might not fall exactly where you want it for the best consistency.  you can still shoot it the same but you might want to tweak things like d-loop and other stuff to get anchor points to fall into place better.