Deer search

Buck_shooter

I've got a call into them too. Hit a good buck this morning and tracked it to a posted oil lease, was lucky enough to have a well tender on the property today and he gave me and a friend a hand looking but had no luck. He said once he was gone for the day we would have to get permission from the landowner. Luckily after calling around a bit we got official permission and called deer search around 2:45 today. And I can tell you this wait is unbearable since we heard the coyotes in the valley this morning.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

I'm guessing they're schedule right now is akin to Walmart on 12/24.............I wouldn't hold my breath.

I'm afraid that's probably true. I don't know anyone who's ever called this deer search so I couldn't begin to guess their response time. I'd assume they're probably mostly hunters as well so wouldn't expect anything during daylight

37 minutes ago, Buck_shooter said:

I see people recommending this service pretty often I can't believe nobody here has ever called

Never said I didnt use them. It ain't like ordering a pizza......these guys are just regular guys who probably have families, jobs and might enjoy a little hunting too. They don't have a "set" response time and this is their busy season.  Lots of Happy Day Wangers are out plugging holes in deer; some get found, some don't.  I don't know how many volunteers in the Deer Search network but it ain't many in the big skeem of things. 

I'm sure there are guys out there that would take any old dog out  and try it but beware, that ain't legal and could get a guy in a heap of trouble and they may even loose their right to vote.

• Like 2

Is it hanging from a helicopter?
That'd work...

Unfortunately no helicopter at work but I'm going to try scanning brush piles and tree tops. With all the new oil wells up near my hunting area it's brushy as all get out. Figure I've got nothing to lose trying it.

Every year guys at work want to take a T.IC. From the academy , I'm surprised some aren't missing from  the line rigs, we have two per truck .

As per dogs, you know any dog with a good nose is worth a shot. Ya ya I know they'er not "licensed tracking dogs " only in NYS , would it be illegal to use a dog on ones own land to try and recover a deer.

I have a beagle that finds them pretty darn easy , no training other then me and him walking the woods and him going nuts when he sees one. The light bulb went off and I used him on a buck I could not find , well he's on my wall ( the deer not dog ) . His batting average is well over .500 .

Got a friend with a a scent hound ? 

If you'er in the Rochester area PM me I'm off work now and my buck tag is punched .

image.png

Every year guys at work want to take a T.IC. From the academy , I'm surprised some aren't missing from  the line rigs, we have two per truck .
 As per dogs, you know any dog with a good nose is worth a shot. Ya ya I know they'er not "licensed tracking dogs " only in NYS , would it be illegal to use a dog on ones own land to try and recover a deer.
I have a beagle that finds them pretty darn easy , no training other then me and him walking the woods and him going nuts when he sees one. The light bulb went off and I used him on a buck I could not find , well he's on my wall ( the deer not dog ) . His batting average is well over .500 .
Got a friend with a a scent hound ? 
If you'er in the Rochester area PM me I'm off work now and my buck tag is punched .
image.png

Tried an elk hound a few weeks ago which are supposed to be good trackers and she would veer off the beginning of the blood trail that we could follow with our eyes. When we did find the deer she showed no reaction. I've come home before with a little deer blood on my hands before and she went crazy so I know she can smell it.

Has anyone ever tried Bluestar trackem (bloodglow)?  The problem with the dogs, as you are all seeing now, is that they get overwhelmed on weekends during archery season.  If you had some bloodglow,  you might be able to get out there tonight and find your deer.   If you can't find it with that, you probably missed the vitals and the deer will recover ok.   Enough bloodglow to track 4 deer costs $25 and can be bought on-line.