Baiting Deer

shu9265

When it comes to the subject of baiting and feeding of deer, I have many times heard the reasons given by the DEC for not doing that, and I do not feel qualified or adequately better trained than them in deer biology to contradict those reasons.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When it comes to the subject of baiting and feeding of deer, I have many times heard the reasons given by the DEC for not doing that, and I do not feel qualified or adequately better trained than them in deer biology to contradict those reasons.

Doc, do you believe the deer kill totals they put out at the end of the season. Maybe they use the same logic about feeding deer.

Dave

Giving yerself arm hickies isnt a hobby..haha..jk..for me personally..when i think of baiting deer..i dont stop at the hunting aspect ..the state has money woes..people spend rediculous amounts of cash on hunting related things..i just try to imagine ways to support the states outdoor programs to help preserve hunting in the state..not that this is THE answer..but it would help..

Also if we had a class of deer within the entire state that was world class..possibly more people would come here rather than leave..i think with a little help, feeders would have more imediate effects..as apposed to ar or qdm which needs full coop..education..and gives back nothing to the homestate..

Doc, do you believe the deer kill totals they put out at the end of the season. Maybe they use the same logic about feeding deer.

Dave

No, what I am saying is that I am in no position to dispute what they are saying. I have not been educated in the science of deer management and biology, and I have had zero years of experience performing that job. I can guess and theorize right along with the best of them, but the bottom line is that they are the supposed experts and I am not.

Deer (and most wildlife) have been living without food supplements for 10 zillion years; and they will continue to live for another 10 zillion years without free handouts.

Absolutely true... if we are to start feeding wildlife we had better be prepared to continue it for eternity... not just when we have a little spare change to buy and set out something for the critters to eat because it makes us feel good to do it... their demise will come when they forget how to forage for food during the toughest times because they have gotten use to the free handout that keeps popping up every March and April.. then all of a sudden stops because you ran out of money putting gas in your tank and can't afford the food for the increased number of deer that come to your food source every year. The habitat itself will support the number of deer that that it is able to support... and weed out what it can't... regardless of how much you want more deer around to hunt... that's how it works

Deer (and most wildlife) have been living without food supplements for 10 zillion years; and they will continue to live for another 10 zillion years without free handouts.

What about the winter kill? In some areas the deer are on the decline and a bad winter kill could be devestating. Would you feed a starving person if he had no food?

Dave

If you have winter kill you have over capacity. Nature know how to thin the herd. The strongest deer will live to pro create and the weak will die. The ADK has some of the poorest habitat and harshest winters in NY and there are still deer there. Feeding them will only overburden an already crappy habitat causing less natural food weekening the strong deer causing deer survival to be dependant on people feeding them. I have a hard enough time feeding my own family let alone forking out money to feed deer. Cheaper to grow a food plot that regenerates itself.

Not everyone has room for a bait plot..which gets burried durring the crucial months for survival..besides..baiting has benifits besides feeding the dam deer..

Shot placements, deer selection(hopefully not yearlings), $generated..i would  love to see here the tourism that texas gets fer huntin

Absolutely true... if we are to start feeding wildlife we had better be prepared to continue it for eternity... not just when we have a little spare change to buy and set out something for the critters to eat because it makes us feel good to do it... their demise will come when they forget how to forage for food during the toughest times because they have gotten use to the free handout that keeps popping up every March and April.. then all of a sudden stops because you ran out of money putting gas in your tank and can't afford the food for the increased number of deer that come to your food source every year. The habitat itself will support the number of deer that that it is able to support... and weed out what it can't... regardless of how much you want more deer around to hunt... that's how it works

I agree with Joe, start it and it never ends.

Absolutely  true... if we are to start feeding wildlife we had better be prepared  to continue it for eternity... not just when we have a little spare  change to buy and set out something for the critters to eat because it  makes us feel good to do it... their demise will come when they forget  how to forage for food during the toughest times because they have  gotten use to the free handout that keeps popping up every March and  April.. then all of a sudden stops because you ran out of money putting  gas in your tank and can't afford the food for the increased number of  deer that come to your food source every year. The habitat itself will  support the number of deer that that it is able to support... and weed  out what it can't... regardless of how much you want more deer around to  hunt... that's how it works

Also feeding them at the very end of a hard winter could seriously mess up their rumens if done wrong...stressing them farther or killing them with full bellies