Baiting Deer

shu9265

This is something that is making me scratch my head and question it's legality.

Is it considered baiting, if you are hunting a stand of Oak tree's and the acorns are what the deer are feeding on?

Would this be considered "natural" browse ?

* Not trying to sound like a dumb ass or a smart ass. Just asking a question.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bubba, that would be smart baiting! lol!! as long as you put the same type of acorns under not red under a white or vise versa, or red apples under a yellow apple tree, and not in a big 2 ft tall pile.. unless some one saw you do it it would be tough to prove. I 've never placed apples under a tree but have shaken a limb or two when hunting under them...swear deer can hear em hit the ground! now you have me wondering about shaking limbs..... :O

If you gathered up those acorns in the oak stand and piled them up in the oak stand would that be considered baiting?? Legit question.. that I don't know the answer to.

Been away from the site for awhile due to a death in the family, things starting to get beak to normal. I read that a DEC officer say a pick up truck parked near a logging road and checked it out he saw bags of acorns in the back of the truck. Followed the logging road for awhile and found a bow hunter in his treestand hunting over the acorns. And busted him fines the whole 9 yards.

Dave

I agree! I does violate the law, but its amazing how much baiting does happen.. As for shaking limbs i'm now wondering about that as well... Does the idea of baiting even arise due to limited/lack of time to hunt? i really just don't understand the whole concept behind it....

If you gathered up those acorns in the oak stand and piled them up in the oak stand would that be considered baiting?? Legit question.. that I don't know the answer to.

Had the same thought myself, for instance if you hunt near an apple or oak tree, is it illegal to rake the apples or acorns into a tighter bunch or pile?  Unethical to me but would it result in a fine?  How about in front of a trail cam?

I think if you raked apples in to a pile, you might get a ticket for baiting...Lets put it this way, the DEC officer would probably write you a ticket, and let the court decide.

If you were shaking your own apple trees on your own land, as part of an "agricultural proceedure" that would be another story. I believe it would be quite hard to get a ticket for that anyway. It just really is not gonna happen.

Been away from the site for awhile due to a death in the family, things starting to get beak to normal. I read that a DEC officer say a pick up truck parked near a logging road and checked it out he saw bags of acorns in the back of the truck. Followed the logging road for awhile and found a bow hunter in his treestand hunting over the acorns. And busted him fines the whole 9 yards.

Dave

I was thinking the same thing. I read it in NY Outdoor News recently. So the answer is yes.

I am not sure about the legality of moving around natural grown things. However if a warden were to check you, it would be tough to explain that you raked them up etc.  I would more expect they would assume you brought them in.  I do know a friend who cut his wheat food plot.  he dumped the cut stuff off the edge of the field, and he was told by an officer that would be considered baiting and or feeding as he moved it from its original place and put it in a pile.  I have had other officers talk about chopping a corn field and chopping some and leaving it behind if it "misses the truck" during a turn or the chopper chute gets moved.  That is not considered baiting as it was accidental.  So many different interpretations, of the same situation by different officers.  I would think if I were hunting in oaks,I would use acorn scent to lure deer to where I wanted them, instead of moving the acorns.