Scope choices..

I recently won a couple of guns at a banquet dinner, and I have been debating on scope objective sizes to put on this rifle, a Browning A-bolt in .270. I put Nikon optics on almost everything i have, and have great luck with them so id like to stay with that brand but I don't necessarily have to.. But my question is for the the objective size.. I think the 40mm and 44mm will look to dinky on there,  and was thinking more along the lines of a 50mm for looks mainly, but im sure it will also be a little brighter.  I only have 40 and 44mm scopes  on top of my guns now, nothing bigger. Just looking for opinions really, I will pick up a scope in the off season and have ready for next deer season.   Again mainly for looks so it looks like a well topped rifle..  If this makes an sense lol

Thanks in advance!

20160918_091355.jpg

I could be way off thinking 50 would look better than the others, I've just never seen a 50mm topped on a rifle. All mine are either 3-9×40 or 4-12×40 nikons. The wood stock Is a tad bulky compared to the typical synthetic stocks. My thinking of the 50mm objective matching the wider stock?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

yea I don't need 50mm, for sure, but just looking into suggestions lol I'm probably way over thinking this. I've been told with a wider stock that the 50mm look a tad better than the smaller objectives, looking for someone to agree but im not getting that lol  might just stick with the regulars.

i will check out that leupold buckmaster..

i do like leupold as well.

57 minutes ago, ny hunter said:

I think a 50 is way more then we need in NY. That's just me go for it bro.

Unless you have 10 x or more magnification, a 50 mm objective lens is a waste. Any objective lens diameter that is more than 5 x the magnification (in mm) will transmit more light than the human eye can admit.

• Like 2

I know not many people like shopping on that black friday but wait until then to buy a scope. I bought one over at Bass Pro Nikon pro staff BDC 3-9x40 for $125, I think you can order it too on black friday. Not sure what other brands are out there I just had one of those already and really liked it so bought another.

I know it isn't a Nikon but I also have a Redfield and I think the glass is just as nice or better than the nikon. I would go to a brick and motar and compare the 2 side by side. They also have a nice little circle with crosshairs, see below.accurange01.jpg

Edited by chas0218

I know not many people like shopping on that black friday but wait until then to buy a scope. I bought one over at Bass Pro Nikon pro staff BDC 3-9x40 for $125, I think you can order it too on black friday. Not sure what other brands are out there I just had one of those already and really liked it so bought another.

I know it isn't a Nikon but I also have a Redfield and I think the glass is just as nice or better than the nikon. I would go to a brick and motar and compare the 2 side by side. They also have a nice little circle with crosshairs, see below.imageproxy.php?img=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.redfield.com%2F_media%2Fgalleries%2Faccurange01.jpg&key=7137fd94670c7216b641d4c15ffa801caf32e84ba31ebc5dcde649f341820583

You can that same nikon right at Walmart for the same price. Just got the 4-12×40 bdc nikon for my dad's rifle for 149$ .. yea I like following cabelas bargain cave for deals. Have made out well there

8 minutes ago, ny hunter said:

Black Friday is during hunting season there well be no shopping during deer season...,,,,

From the tree stand, get with the times you can order stuff online.

15 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

You can that same nikon right at Walmart for the same price. Just got the 4-12×40 bdc nikon for my dad's rifle for 149$ .. yea I like following cabelas bargain cave for deals. Have made out well there

Yeah I bought it a 3 years ago I think maybe 4, you can't beat Walmart's return policy.

• Like 1

yea I don't need 50mm, for sure, but just looking into suggestions lol I'm probably way over thinking this. I've been told with a wider stock that the 50mm look a tad better than the smaller objectives, looking for someone to agree but im not getting that lol  might just stick with the regulars.
i will check out that leupold buckmaster..
i do like leupold as well.

I don't think I have ever thought about how a scope looks on a gun. Is that honestly a concern for you?

Not trying to be smart just something I have never considered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I don't think I have ever thought about how a scope looks on a gun. Is that honestly a concern for you?

Not trying to be smart just something I have never considered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know quite a few people who consider looks.

I don't, but I also like all kinds of glass too and I'm not brand loyal or care if someone else doesn't like my choice.

My 2 favorites happen to be 50mm objective if shooting in poor light may be about, but own just a little bit of everything. One is just stunning at night.

Heck; I even bought a fixed power recent and won't Pygmy be surprised! ; just need a rifle to put under it.

• Like 2

..............GASP !!!.......

And here I was about to recommend a Leupy 4X to Let  Em Grow...

We'll split the difference.... LEG.....I recommend a Leupy 2x 7 x 36 MM....

You'd never take my advice on the 4X anyway...NOBODY ever has, but I keep trying....<<GRIN>>....

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

..............GASP !!!.......

And here I was about to recommend a Leupy 4X to Let  Em Grow...

We'll split the difference.... LEG.....I recommend a Leupy 2x 7 x 36 MM....

You'd never take my advice on the 4X anyway...NOBODY ever has, but I keep trying....<<GRIN>>....

Schmidt+Bender make a 8x56.....

If 50 is good, 56 must be more better.

Just sayin':rofl:

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dinsdale said:

8 X 56 will have a 7mm exit pupil. The average human eye has about a maximum of 5mm pupil. A waste of glass, metal & weight unless you have a larger than average pupil..

It's called marketing. Give the uninformed public what it wants and thinks it needs

1 hour ago, Dinsdale said:

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

It is INDEED, Dinsdale, if you are hunting after dark.....<<grin>>....

In get a kick out of all these nimrods that show up at the range with "lighted reticles".

My 3-9 X 42 Kalhles will allow antler ID @ 250 yds in the shadows of the long shooting lane in front of my tri-pod waaay past legal shooting hours. I can still see my duplex reticle against a deer's shoulder for quite some time after it gets too dark to even see antlers. Are the optics in those scopes really THAT bad?

"BDC" reticles are another source of amusement. Unless the specific rifle has had the specific load/bullet shot over a chronograph and the BDC calibrated to that specific Mv/BC, how in the world can it "compensate" for bullet drop on shots of 300 yds or more?

Edited by wildcat junkie

In get a kick out of all these nimrods that show up at the range with "lighted reticles".

My 3-9 X 42 Kalhles will allow antler ID @ 250 yds in the shadows of the long shooting lane in front of my tri-pod waaay past legal shooting hours. I can still see my duplex reticle against a deer's shoulder for quite some time after it gets too dark to even see antlers. Are the optics in those scopes really THAT bad?

"BDC" reticles are another source of amusement. Unless the specific rifle has had the specific load/bullet shot over a chronograph and the BDC calibrated to that specific Mv/BC, how in the world can it "compensate" for bullet drop on shots of 300 yds or more?

The bdc has to be dialed in per gun scope combo. It gives you an aiming point at whichever distance that indivdual "cross hair" on your reticle shoots. It's not a purchase, then install and shoot 400 yards. You'd obv. Have to figure out what your gun shoots for yardage at each of those aiming points. And I agree with you totally about those lighted reticles, what a joke they are.