Butt-out 2 Christmas gift?

wolc123

I forked over $6.99 for the thing this year based on some good reviews on this site.   It worked well the first two times, on a 1-1/2 year old doe and a 2-1/2 year old buck.  The first failure occurred yesterday morning when my buddy killed a fat button-buck.   I stuck it in to the stopper flange, gave it the recommended 1-1/2 turns, then pulled out.   It latched on to a bit of intestine then broke free.   I reached into my pack for the old reliable Gerber folding saw and cut thru the pelvis with that, getting everything cleaned out well.   I tossed the Butt-out next to the gut pile.   That afternoon, at 4:00 pm milking time, a mature doe came looking for her long lost son. She soon joined up with him in "deer-Heaven", when I dropped her right next to that gut-pile.  I tried the Butt-out on her, with nearly identical results.  In fairness, there was still some of the BBs intestine fouling the points and that may have contributed to the second failure.  This ain't baseball, and that "wonder-tool" just lost it's place in my pack on the second strike.  I think I will clean it up and "re-gift" it to one of my hunting buddies at the work Christmas gift exchange.    

33 minutes ago, Grizz1219 said:

I love mine.. never had an issue with one.. but mine is the original model... 

Same here. Original model as well. Two twists, pull out 8-10", ziptie, cut of what's stuck on prongs and done. Even 14 year old daughter said "that looks easy enough".

A local processor has sign  on their door " Ass ain't out =$10 charge

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, grampy said:

Pinch, cut around, pull out slightly and tie off with a piece of pre cut string! Takes about a minute. Never saw a need for anything else.

I don't even tie it.  Just a good once around with a longer sharp blade and pull out with intestines.  Never had any issues. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I don't even tie it.  Just a good once around with a longer sharp blade and pull out with intestines.  Never had any issues. 

Yup, did it exactly like that for years! Them I saw someone use a foot long piece of string with a loop on the end. Run end of string through the loop, slip it over the BH, pull tight and push all back where it came from. When finishing the gutting, grab string with all the rest and front and back is  all out clean and slick! 

Same with me, burry the 2 1/2" blade all the way in with finger in the "eye" cut around 360 as deep as knife will go. Reach in from other hole and pull out and done. By the time someone would have their "butt-out" out of their pack I have the butt out of the deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grampy said:

Yup, did it exactly like that for years! Them I saw someone use a foot long piece of string with a loop on the end. Run end of string through the loop, slip it over the BH, pull tight and push all back where it came from. When finishing the gutting, grab string with all the rest and front and back is  all out clean and slick! 

So you use a stick to push it through to cavity? My buddies do that occasionally too.  Just never used the string trick. Interesting.