for those who have started hanging your cameras 10-12 ft high

rob-c

has it really helped with people not stealing them? 

Yes, if the camera is a camo pattern and color that matches the tree it's on, that helps too. I had a brown camo camera set up about 13 ft on a pine tree on state land all season. It was hard to spot and I had a few pictures of hunters walking right by it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Knock on wood, but I have not lost a camera to thieves in a few years. I did put them up high, at first but it is a pain to check them, especially as often as I do. Now I hide them at eye level, like in a triple trunk tree, and I lean a log up against the tree on the side and one on the tree to cover the strap, etc. Nothing sticks out like a strap around a tree.

1 hour ago, growalot said:

High tensile wire painted dark grey and brown..breaks up the solid color.. a twist an tuck ends....if they will cut a strap..the wire is no different. Just nearly invisible against tree.

That's smart , it's often the strap they see as its visible 360 degrees. I have cut them to a few inches and used roofing nails to attach to tree . That way someone passing by the " back" of tree doesn't know it's there . I'm going to switch to wire.

• Like 1