What kind of dog for birds

Well hubby shot all my reading and studying out of the water . He went to the pound and brought home a pointer collie mix  .Looks like it will all training now for me  he is cute and he is already point ( at the cats ) so now I have to get the training equipment out to start the process. First the common commands and his name . My husband named him max . 

IMG_20170115_180152395.jpg

IMG_20170115_180338584.jpg

• Like 3

On 1/10/2017 at 4:13 PM, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I can't agree more with your first sentence. That is HUGE!!!

Also if you do look into Springers look heavily into the true English Field lines. Their trials are fur and feather. The last Springer I had was not only an outstanding bird dog but would flush rabbits like a champ. he wasn't very soft in his mouth on a rabbit though for some reason. I use to take him up north to start snowshoes for a dog my uncle had. She was a GREAT runner but couldn't start a rabbit to save her life.  No matter what you decide, I can't think of a better bet that a hunting companion. 

That is huge for a lot of working breeds.  American German Shepherds breeders have, for the most part, screwed the pooch, pun intended.  Very few American specimens are bred and capable of sports, tracking, herding, protection or police work.  In fact most police agencies import their working dogs from Europe because they just don't trust American breeding, and most people who do tracking, obedience or protection work do the same.  There's just such a huge gap in quality and health between what an AKC, show-person considers to be a good German Shepherd and what a professional handler or trainer is looking for.

I've found the same for other breeds.  A while back I looked into getting a Swedish or Norwegian elkhound for big game recovery.  With the exception of one breeder up in British Columbia, all the breeders I read about were basically importing stock and breeding them for shows.  There was no functional training or breeding going on, at least none that I have read about.  

Fortunately it seems that most of the American hunting breeds (hounds, retrievers, pointers) don't have the same problem, at least not to the same degree.  It seems a lot easier to go and find a functional and well-bred plott hound or german wirehaired pointer than it is to go find a well-bred German Shepherd.  I guess with how prevalent the use of hunting dogs is some parts of North America, that makes sense.  It's just a shame to see some of these breeds, with such extensive pedigrees as working dogs, so watered down and tame so that some lady (or man) can run them around a show circle and win points....

Edited by Padre86
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 8:32 AM, cynthiafu said:

Want to show you he is getting there but he picks up everything now and brings it to me lol 

That is a huge positive believe it or not. That means he is willing to retrieve for you. Just remember to praise him for it no matter what he brings back, even if it is something gross.

Have you had him on any kind of birds or a wing yet?

4 hours ago, Doewhacker said:

That is a huge positive believe it or not. That means he is willing to retrieve for you. Just remember to praise him for it no matter what he brings back, even if it is something gross.

Have you had him on any kind of birds or a wing yet?

He has play with a pheasent feather that he found in the field . I run him and my schnauzer in the fields alot just so he gets use to being out there and as long as Dee Dee is with him he is good . He is coming when called . I have alot still to learn and so does he . Dee Dee is not a hunting dog but she sure acts like it lol .

• Like 1

Get some of these .... http://www.gundogsupply.com/wild-pheasant-wings-2.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=WILD-PHEASANT-WINGS-2&gclid=CObZ-J3C_NECFcxLDQodGsUJyA 

and some scent and start hiding it in the yard to see if he is interested in it and make a game of finding it. If he is part pointer he may do a flash (short) point, don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed ever.  At the very least you can make a flusher out of him. One step at a time and have fun! 

• Like 1