how tough deer are

G-Man

Many years back I shot a doe and during the butchering process we found that the deer had a broken back leg this is not that unusual. But this deer had his bones grafted side by side , like if you overlapped two sticks and tied them together. And it mended the two pieces together, how painful was that and it lived.

Dave

The year that I shot my first deer (4 pt in 1990), my father was lucky enough to take a piebald with the contender (.35 rem). When we were skinning them out, he hit metal as well. Upon further digging, we found a 125 Thunderhead broadhead with about 12" of Easton aluminum still attached to it. From what we could tell, who ever shot it, was on the ground, at a SEVERE 1/4ing away and the person shot high. The broadhead was lodged into the spine and had done little to no damage at all to the spinal column and obviously none to the spinal cord itself.

So, after seeing this post and looking at ll the pics that are posted on the other forum, I am thinking that I just might have to up the poundage on the bow and add just a tad more powder to the rifle loads...lol

When i started bowhunting in the 80's i took a shot at a spike that was facing me 10 yards away,i was on the ground, the arrow struck it between the neck and shoulder. the full 27" shaft and broadhead dissappered into th e deer.I looked and looked and never found the deer figured it had to die. A year later + gun season a friend shot the ugliest 4 pt horns were all twisted and gnarly. when he was butchering it he found the complete xx75 2013  my arrow!! including the broadhead incased in a sac lying ontop of the ribs along the spine. ...amazing and i will never take a shot like that again!

When i started bowhunting in the 80's i took a shot at a spike that was facing me 10 yards away,i was on the ground, the arrow struck it between the neck and shoulder. the full 27" shaft and broadhead dissappered into th e deer.I looked and looked and never found the deer figured it had to die. A year later + gun season a friend shot the ugliest 4 pt horns were all twisted and gnarly. when he was butchering it he found the complete xx75 2013  my arrow!! including the broadhead incased in a sac lying ontop of the ribs along the spine. ...amazing and i will never take a shot like that again!

I too lost my first ever bow shot deer the same way, I guess lack of experience and being over confident was to blame back then..............I have harvested a total of four deer in 31 yrs that had either broadheads in them or wounds from broadheads.

It happens more than most folks think, that is why I practice, practice, practice and if I have to think twice or even have one single doubt about the shot, it doesn't happen.

The worst wound I have ever seen on a deer I harvested was inflicted by another buck...................................The 11pt. (208lbs) was goared inside his left hind leg to the bone just next to his baby maker. I always wanted to get a look at the bad boy that beat him up. His neck was all scared up and the hide had blood marks and bruised all over it when I caped him out.

FDXX75

I have had two unrecovered deer in 31 seasons.....................that was 2 too many.

Neither was from a lack of looking either. I did find the second deer three weeks later, and only by the help of the neighbors dog. I shot a really nice buck, it had all the signs of a great hit. The deer bolted off just after the shot, heading up the hill and to my right towards the orchard on the property(a known escape route to the swamp on the other side of the orchard) Well, I found hair and some blood at the impact location but not a lot of sign heading up the hill. I was dead sure it was a great hit.

Well, after 5 hrs of searching/circling and back tracking it got dark and started to rain. (it rained heavy all night, I know because I was up all night sick about it)

Everyday I hunted that property I looked for some sign of that deer, well one afternoon the neighbors dog was down on the edge of the field making a ruckus about something. (barking/growling/etc) for hrs. So I walked over that way on the way back to the house, and low and behold between an old 10,000 gal fuel tank and a rusted out old buick lay a deer (it was starting the stink real bad about then) Sure enough, it was the buck I shot three weeks before, except it was 200 yds in a different direction than I saw it go. It was hit through the rib cage in and out, lung shot....................how that deer made it that far I have no idea or why there was not more sign from the hit. But, it was a great looking 9 pt. rack.

I felt very slightly better, but was still upset I lost him that way.

FDXX75