One spot left in my gun safe

52faf5faa85fa9c6dde6465f17fbc8e7.jpg

So I figured what's a gun collection without a versatile shotgun?...enter my new Mossberg 500 field and deer combo.I have been without a shotgun since I sold my Winchester model 1300(one of the dumbest moves I've made) and been thinking for awhile on replacing it.I did some research on the mossy 500 and almost everything I read was good.It came with 2 barrels a 28" bird barrel and a 24"rifled slugster barrel with the cantilever scope mount and the raised cheek piece and a cheap dead ringer 2.5 power scope( which I will soon be upgrading) out the door for $400. What do you guys think?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

The Mossberg 500 is a classic pump shotgun that has been around many years with a proven reliable solid track record. The bird barrel slug barrel combo was probably the number one seller for slug shotguns in the gunshop I worked in back in the late 70s and 80s. No rifled barrels back then, the slug barrels were smooth open choked bores with adjustable open sights, they were drilled and tapped for a weaver scope base on the receiver for anyone wanting to mount a scope. The cantilever system will work much better when switching back and forth between your two barrels.

Don't know a thing about the scope that came with your new Mossberg but you are right about looking to change it out if it is an el cheapo. The recoil from a shotgun firing slugs is pretty hard on a scope so you want to have one of good quality and plenty of eye relief.

Congratulations and good luck hunting with your new outfit.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

I here ya tuckersdaddy, it's supposed to be a 18 gun safe but I only got 9 guns with scopes and it's pretty packed, there's no way you could get 18 long guns in there unless you were stacking them one on top of another, trying to talk the wife into the fact that you can never have enough guns

There are three things I look for when putting a scope on a slug gun. First off because of the relatively short range slug guns are used I want a scope with as big of field of view as possible. The lower the power the more field of view there is so I personally prefer a 2.5X, a 3X or a 1X4 variable which is plenty of magnification for typical slug ranges. Also because of hefty recoil I like a scope with long eye relief. You do not want a scope that has to be close to your eye when sighting through it with a heavy recoiling gun. Back when I worked in the gun shop the number one destroyer of scopes was a slug gun's heavy recoil, cheap scopes and slug guns do not go together well, buy the very best quality scope you can afford. My current slug gun wears a Leupold 3X.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

There are three things I look for when putting a scope on a slug gun. First off because of the relatively short range slug guns are used I want a scope with as big of field of view as possible. The lower the power the more field of view there is so I personally prefer a 2.5X, a 3X or a 1X4 variable which is plenty of magnification for typical slug ranges. Also because of hefty recoil I like a scope with long eye relief. You do not want a scope that has to be close to your eye when sighting through it with a heavy recoiling gun. Back when I worked in the gun shop the number one destroyer of scopes was a slug gun's heavy recoil, cheap scopes and slug guns do not go together well, buy the very best quality scope you can afford. My current slug gun wears a Leupold 3X.
Al

Thanks airedale lots of good points there to consider I will have to look into the Leupold 3x

• Like 1

I  have used only 2 scopes on my shotguns over the years...Both were  early 1970s vintage El Paso steel tubed weavers, one in 1.5X and the other in 2.5X... Rugged scopes you could drive a truck over and they would still function.

In my opinion, a straight 4X, while being an excellent all around rifle scope, is a bit high powered for a shotgun being used in close cover..The lower powered scopes have a definite advantage at ranges of 100 yards or less, ESPECIALLY if the target is moving..

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Ok I'm sorry I was just curious, and now Im going to try it. On your birthday

No, you're not really sorry...I'm going to call your wife and tell her she should spank you...

You can thank me later...

• Like 2