Speaking Of Lost, What's The Worst Thing You've Lost?

Lawdwaz

9 hours ago, moog5050 said:

So about 5 years ago, I was heading to the range and placed my cz 30-06 premium in its case on top of my truck while I loaded it up. Arrived at the range 30 min away as happy as a clam until I went to grab my rifle. Yep, drove away with it on top of my car and never heard it fall off.  Really stupid. I was in a panic that someone could be hurt by my rifle if found by the wrong person and drove the route back and forth 3 times hoping to see it lying on the side of the road.  No luck. I had no idea what to do so I called the police and explained what happened.  They said they would let me know if it was turned in. I figured that was it. 

4 days later, cops call and say they have it.  Honest young man found it just outside my tract on the main road and scooped it up before another car that was stopping to grab it. He put an ad on craigslist in lost and found and police were notified.  They retrieved it and brought it to me. I really wanted to do something for the young man but he absolutely refused. Said it was the right thing to do.  That's integrity!   Oh, I never place my gun case on top of a vehicle any longer. 

Was checking mail one day and a car drives by with gun on top. Watched gun slide off.  It was a rem 700 243. Lucky it was in a hard case and had no damage to gun. Picked up gun and ran to my truch. Tried to catch up with the person but could not find them. Figured on turning gun in latter in day as I had a lot of work to get done. About an hour latter I notice same car driving up and down road slowly. I walked out to edge of road and stopped the guy. Asked if I could help him with something as he appeared to be looking for something. A boy about 14 was in the car with tears in his eyes. He explained he had bought his son his first gun for his birthday and was taking him to a range that day. He laid gun on top of car and forgotten it when they left. No question it was there gun as I had seen it slide off the car. I told them I had seen it come off car and to pull in and I would be happy to return it. They were so happy The boy started crying again and huge me. The father offered me 100 bucks. I turned it down of course and offered to let them shoot on my range in back yard. They accepted. Needless to say work never got done that day but watching the fun the father and son were having together was well worth it. Had them over a few more times during that summer for shooting. Father and son were both great people and a joy to shoot with. They moved latter that year. I will never forget the look in the boys eyes when I handed him his gun.

• Like 10

10 hours ago, moog5050 said:

So about 5 years ago, I was heading to the range and placed my cz 30-06 premium in its case on top of my truck while I loaded it up. Arrived at the range 30 min away as happy as a clam until I went to grab my rifle. Yep, drove away with it on top of my car and never heard it fall off.  Really stupid. I was in a panic that someone could be hurt by my rifle if found by the wrong person and drove the route back and forth 3 times hoping to see it lying on the side of the road.  No luck. I had no idea what to do so I called the police and explained what happened.  They said they would let me know if it was turned in. I figured that was it. 

4 days later, cops call and say they have it.  Honest young man found it just outside my tract on the main road and scooped it up before another car that was stopping to grab it. He put an ad on craigslist in lost and found and police were notified.  They retrieved it and brought it to me. I really wanted to do something for the young man but he absolutely refused. Said it was the right thing to do.  That's integrity!   Oh, I never place my gun case on top of a vehicle any longer. 

you can't make this stuff up.  i did the same thing to my primary hunting bow setup but heading out hunting.  told story before on here.  drove back and forth 20 minutes each way until after daylight.  put up signs in the area saying bow was lost and if found call number on sign.  young mail man called the next morning. i lost it apparently going down the highway at 55+ mph. i met up with him and there it all was with just some very minor road rash, titanium heads still in the quiver and all.  i gave him a finders fee before he barely said a word.  we then had a chat and i found out he was trying to save up some money to move his family out of NY.  just needed around $2,000.  my bow setup was practically new and all together it was that much.  he could've sold it and got darn close to his goal.  still good people in the world despite it seems hard to believe at times.

Worst thing I ever lost was a gold necklace charm that my grandmother gave me when I was a kid. I never really wore it because I'm not much into jewelry even today all i wear is my wedding band. I am still baffled as to where it went because last i knew it was safe in my dresser drawer. I went to put it on one day and it was no longer there. I tore my room apart looking for it. It still bums me out even today. 

Only other thing I can think of is I had my first gun ever the first gun i ever took a deer with a Remington 870 20ga stolen out the trunk of my car. technically I didn't lose it but it still sucks. I was just 17 or 18 years old and i had my car packed for hunting at work because i was leaving right from work to go to camp. The even shittier part is what they really went to steal was my sound system . CD player, subwoofer's and amp. the gun ended up being a bonus for them. i could give 2 shits less about the sound system stuff but I want that gun back even almost 20 years later.