Deer Sanctuary ?

fasteddie

My oldest son  wants to leave the area inside the red lines in the map below as a Sanctuary . I placed a camera where the yellow dot is inside the red border where trails meet in the thick stuff . If I see action on that camera I am considering placing a Dog House Blind or a Double Chair blind in that area . I would put something there at least 2 weeks before gun season and use it for pistol hunting .  We would stay out of that area during bow season and gun season except for the blind .

Deer Sanctuary.jpg

if nobody goes in there i would almost guarantee you'll see activity, despite being surrounded by stands.  sanctuaries do help reduce hunting pressure on otherwise heavily pressured property.  if hunted around them with the wind right and if they're in the right spot they can make a small property hunt bigger.  they only work as intended if you stay out of them though.  how big and whether it needs to be there it's hard to say without boots on the ground.  aerial maps even with topo don't always paint the right picture.

• Like 1

We have been on our new lease for 2 years now and we have a 3acre pine forest that is very very thick . No way one could walk through it and it's loaded with deer trails , we fring hunt it and we see lots of deer coming out from it. I believe if one has enough property to have a sanctuary than one should do it . 

If you build a sanctuary, why would you hunt it at all?  That is counter productive.

Build it, stay the hell out of it, and figure out how deer travel to and from that area to be able to hunt them.

The second you step foot in there and leave any scent (or your scent blows in there because you are up wind of it), it will no longer be a sanctuary.

Just because you draw a line around it, doesn't mean the deer understand it is a sanctuary.  No mature buck will stay in there if you are running cameras, putting up stands, hunting gun, etc.

All depends on size of piece and wind...I do find some responses humorous.   Of course a big mature buck would NEVER find sanctuary where human activity has been...What are you thinking!! :wink::taunt: We have NEVER seen these types of bucks hanging out in parks  on college campus,ppls back yards...how absurd...

Deer ALWAYS do exactly what they guys writing books say they do....Oh ya I'm sarcastic today...

Did you just compare a tame deer that lives in a park to a wild animal?  Now THAT is humorous.

So, yeah, build a sanctuary and then be sure to put up cameras, walk around and check those cameras, build a stand, hunt the stand and shoot the place up during gun season.  Bucks love that stuff.  You may be able to hand feed them like the deer in the park since they will get used to him being there.

Oh yeah, and since he will be putting the stand up a whole 2 weeks ahead of season, it is a moot point,  deer don't remember anything past 13 days.

Come on man......

That's right every single deer that wonders into the city limits or a country yard is a tame deer...I forgot that there are tame deer schools out there....BTW as I SAID depends on size and wind..he NEVER said he was going into that red zone...nor did he give it's size...I never have mature buck hanging out in my front garden even though they have literally  thousands of acres of diverse lands to roam ...mostly ag country .

Looks like a good area for a sanctuary, if it is thick that sounds like a good idea.  If I was to set up a blind in the area it would be way before bow season.  Putting something on the ground 2 weeks before rifle in an area you want to protect sounds detrimental to what you are trying to accomplish and the deer would pick it out like a yellow taxi parking in your driveway!  If you want to stick with two weeks before I would use a stand, much less obtrusive.  Otherwise I would use brush and make a permanent ground blind well before the season starts.

• Like 1

The area in blue is about 1/3 of my SILs 68 acre property . To the North and West are wooded areas . There is a large ditch on the West side of the property .The area in red is a lot of overgrown scrub trees . Not many big trees in the red area except near the middle . The Yellow dot is about 10 yards into what my son wants to make a sanctuary . 

He hunts the property maybe 3 times during gun season and I hunt the property 15 - 20 times between Bow , Gun and ML . I have had quite a bit of success on the Geneseo property . My oldest son has property in Italy Valley that he hunts as well as properties close to where he lives . I will be 76 this coming season so I am not all that much into a total deer sanctuary . Time is running out . 

The pond blind on the map is no longer good as the the guy that farms the land pushed much of the brush back so the deer no longer travel their previous route past the blind and go through the thick area . My youngest son shot a doe and a buck from the double stand in the woods on opening day of gun season this past season . 

I prefer having the deer get use to a blind but I have killed deer anywhere from same day to weeks later after installing one . Same goes for ladder stands . Trees in the thick stuff are small diameter and shooting lanes would have to be made . That is pretty much unnecessary with a ground blind that would blend into the background . And to reiterate , it would only be about 10 yards into the thick area . It would be an ideal spot for a pistol shot . That reminds me . I have to recheck the scope on my Contender 7-30 waters pistol . 

As for spooking the deer . I have had deer walk the same trails that I have gone on and walked up to the game cameras . . 

Deer Sanctuary.jpg

I have an area of thick stuff that's about 15-  20 acres . We stay out of it mostly , however its got  crop fields on 3 sides  and not to many large trees on the edges which makes " getting them , entering/ exiting " a bit of a challenge .

So I have a few stands about 30 yards in . It's about my best spot , the deer are always in there .

I would try to get the blind set up earlier though 

I think habitat and property management for many is like feeling they can out-chef Gordon Ramsey after making microwave popcorn. Sanctuaries in this thread must be brought to you by the same geniuses that came up with Gun and Drug Free Zone signage. A sanctuary is an area where deer cannot see, smell or hear you- NOT and area you call a No No Zone and then molest with cams, stands, tower blind building things or your presence in anyway. Aren't we do for some d bag spilling a bag of corn and saying he made a food plot thread, now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gjs4 said:

I think habitat and property management for many is like feeling they can out-chef Gordon Ramsey after making microwave popcorn. Sanctuaries in this thread must be brought to you by the same geniuses that came up with Gun and Drug Free Zone signage. A sanctuary is an area where deer cannot see, smell or hear you- NOT and area you call a No No Zone and then molest with cams, stands, tower blind building things or your presence in anyway. Aren't we do for some d bag spilling a bag of corn and saying he made a food plot thread, now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wait, spilling corn isn't consider a food plot.  Crap.  I have some raking to do.

• Like 1

OK guys I'm too tired to be sarcastic today so here it is ..how many years have I been saying this on here alone?...It depends on the deer and the area they live ..PERIOD. I'm telling you straight up and too many years to count, of observation. IE the area I call the swamp it is a measly 411 ft wide off a fairly busy road with  what amounts to a trailer park on one side, and a house on the other.  It is the bottom section of a 24 1/2 acre hillside property I own that amounts to a 1/2 mile, long, steep and narrow strip. This is a big buck sanctuary in that this is where they go to hide, this is where they hang in the later summer all through winter..I rarely, rarely go in there to hunt...but others do..yep my worst trespassing area...why...because there are usually so many big buck cruising in and out of there everyone see them...and yes the owner of the trailer park place(that's what locals call it) tells me...It's where I missed the 10 last year and took the 8 the year before. So here's the thing...the kids down there run dirt bikes and 4 wheeler  all summer long...the owner works on demolition cars.  Yet These big buck have been watched bedded not in the middle of the thickest rose and bramble...but on the property boundary in open view. I have seen the cell pics of this...

We have another area where the huge drop tine popped out of  last year and I have glassed some of the biggest buck on the hill hanging out...Where I watched out of range, a 10, 11,,and,8 point walk through my place to go bed...The neighbors swamp...an area where  the neighbor and his wife cut fire wood all summer and fall ...going in with their tractor. I've taken most of my good 8's coming off this property and the one in the picture. I Have Rivers blind and 3 stands along the edge of that and the 1 acre hunting guy drives it every single year. It is surrounded by homes with barking dogs. Yes I'm still talking the country ,ag country. I'll skip the neighbors on the high side of me...This is where these buck could skip over to any of the big farms here and not see a person all year until season yet they don't. There is a reason why I can stand on my porch in Sept and take pictures of huge buck out in the open during the day. You've all seen them. So again you can't rubber stamp deer ...They just do not all act the same in ALL areas period! By the way I went down with the sthil leaf blower the day before I took the swamp buck, I had 4 buck walk around my stand before he came in,for a bow kill.

IMG_0941.JPG

Edited by growalot

100% agree growalot  

our new lease 300 acres with 130 being woods,  has a drive in theater and maybe a 60 house neighborhood to the north , the upper field of our lease has hang gliders landing in it practically all summer long , has the farmer tilling /planting crops , the guy we lease from has a hired hand that cuts wood on the land. We see tons of deer , we hunt the wind and practice sent controll  but we have had deer and bucks come in from down wind on occasion. We have noticed the deer are not that bothered by our sent, now when I used to hunt my cousins 100 acres it was big woods and the deer were super sensitive to human presence . As you posted just depends on the environment the deer are used to. 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1

Each deer is a little different among each other, and their habits do change slightly from area to area, but they do have to survive us humans and mother nature... 

Creating a sanctuary is one of the very best things you can do to a property. Along with creating food and water(especially within the sanctuary). But a sanctuary is not truly a sanctuary if human activity is present.. Compare it to our living rooms, or man caves or bedrooms within our homes, or our homes in general.. its not any different for a whitetail.. Everyone hunts for different reasons, and with that being said you could just stay out of there as much as possible to better your luck, but it wont truly be a sanctuary. Just a lower pressured area.      

But the chances and choices are yours to make. From this maps view it looks like a decent spot, especially if they already bed there. then go through with it. If you do put a blind in their, id do it once green up starts.. let them get used to it longer and in a time when there just curious and not cautious.   

I have 2 sanctuaries on the property i hunt, and they are probably only a few acres a piece. I do not hunt any wheres near them, except down a trail 100+ yrds that leads to food.. and wait them out. Id rather hold the deer on my property than the neighbors. We are all in competition for mature bucks so leaving our woods untouched or little as possible our best.    

I understand reading and reading comprehension is a challenge for some .

Nowhere did I say I have a sanctuary , just a thicket we stay out of, execept for some stands a little ways in . This seems to be what Eddie wanted to do ( although he called it one ).  Merely trying to show him a similar set up works well for us .

• Like 2