Is hunting a sport?

left field

12 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Pretty sure that's true but if he is out of the pocket, he is fair game

good point.  i do play a great defense to counteract their running game though.  i mean once they clear the offensive line of multiflora rose bushes they're typically screwed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

I have quite a few good friends in Canada..I love the working class Canadian people , as opposed to the snooty liberals in Toronto and Ottawa...  I'll bet Stompin' Tom  would have been a HOOT to hang around with..

When I make my annual  spring gobbler trip to Prince Edward County I like to stop into the Royal Canadian Legion posts in Wellington and Picton and visit with the locals, especially the few remaining WWII vets...

I grew up in a steel town but got out of there as soon as possible for the big city of Toronto.

The Horseshoe Tavern, where that Stompin' Tom clip is from, was an old-time country and rockabilly bar (1945 or so) in the heart of what once was a rough west Toronto neighbourhood. A hard drinking no-nonsense place that featured some of the best acts of the time. It was the epicentre of music in Toronto.

After the original owners sold in the late '70s, the bar was turned a venue for the emerging Canadian punk scene, which culminated in a concert called The Last Pogo - a showcase for a dozen punk bands that almost destroyed the place. It changed hands a few times after that (Dan Aykroyd was an owner) until the settles on promoting upcoming folk/rock music. Artists who got their starts there were Blue Rodeo, Handsome Ned, The Tragically Hip, Jeff Healy, and Amanda Marshall. (Side note, I saw Jeff Healey just down the street at his first gig over a pizza restaurant. There were about 10 of us in the audience). But artists who played also included The Rolling Stones, The Band, The Police, The Talking Heads.

Here's a little documentary on the place. 

As to hanging out with Tom, he was a rough guy due to a completely screwed up childhood and life, but as long as you were a working class guy he was cool. Not so much to the music establishment. If you like that vibe, then get yourself to the maritime provinces. Great people; beautiful country. 

5 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

i just want to know if a deer "takes a knee" can i not harm it in anyway?

I'm pretty sure that if the deer "takes a knee", it is the only humane, ethical, and sporting thing to do to deliver the coup de gras and put the thing down the rest of the way......lol.

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 4:27 PM, Black Bellamy said:

Again, what a silly debate.

The word "sport" has two meanings.  Everyone is familiar with the modern usage.  But for hundreds and hundreds of years, "sport" meant "a leisure activity, pastime, entertainment" and those who engaged in such were called "sportsmen".  

So hunting is definitely, absolutely, 100% a sport...if you use the old definition.

If you use the new one, hunting is not a sport.

So apples and oranges.  The entire article over at http://sportingclassicsdaily.com/ is annoying, because the guy spends half the article explaining the modern definition of sport, then spends the other half of the article trying to convince us that hunting doesn't fit his definition.   All it does is showcase his ignorance of the etymology of the word.

There's tons of words that used to mean something completely different.  If 500 years ago I wrote "God is awful" I would be praised for my wisdom because back then "awful" meant "awe-full" or "deserving of awe" or simply "awesome".    Today "awful" means something completely different, just like "sport" and a million of other words.

Yep that pretty much sums it up for me, perfect analogy!