TV questions , antenna and streaming

Nomad

So the oldest daughter just moved into a new apartment , and Is not yet sure what she'll do for TV.  So today I went to hook up an antenna so she could watch the local channels . I went online and plugged in the zip code , and it showed that the channels signal would be strong where she is . The antenna has a built in amp as well . Well I could not get anything , could be user error . I did get this while trying to set it up and frankly don't know what that means .

Also the building has wifi, I can see a unit in the hall 30 feet from her door, yet she said her Crome Cast does not work , could the wifi not support streaming ? As one can guess this is not my area and thanks .

I meant to,bring some cable to see if by chance that was on, as her last place it was never turned off .

image.jpeg

37 minutes ago, ny hunter said:

I thought since it all went digital antennas would not pick up anything anymore.

Digital antennas . The major networks all transmit over the air, in digital format .

Grow IDK it's two years old at most . 

Finally found a useful answer on the net , it seems I did not scan for channels correctly .

image.png

Edited by Larry302

Is a jailbreak firestick an option ? Someone I know just did this for about $40. Gets a crazy amount of channels. YouTube walked them right thru it. Got antenna for locals and grabbed another 20 stations. I'm pretty dumb when it comes to electronics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyone I work with is using  a jail broke Firetsick , Which is just downloading Kodi to it , you can do,it yourself for free , I've watched them do it .

Right now it seems  the buildings wifi does not support steaming videos , if in fact it does then that would be the way to go .

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 1

Larry if you still need help with the Chromecast message me. I recently set up my girlfriends Chtomecast to work with her phone because she doesn't have wifi in her apartment

And yes to use an antenna like you described you have to scan for channels first

Edited by josephmrtn
  • Like 1

Thank you very much ! Did you use phone as a hot spot ?  I've heard of that but that's  about it . Won't that eat up data ?

ya think I got the antenna figured out , she's going to try in the morning after work. 

• Like 1

Yes thats how i have it setup, it takes 2 phones to set it up but once its setup you can run it all from one. it would eat up data but were both on Verizons new Unlimited plan so we can blow through 100+ gb per month and not worry about it at all

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

DirectTV

We wanted to " Cut the Cord " and went with DirectTV for TV service but kept cable for internet . Well after the 1 year of big DirectTV discounts our bill is now roughly 10-15 bucks more than if we stayed on cable for everything . And we're still one more year into our two year contract . Freebie Antenna just didnt cut it ! But whats a guy gonna do !

Edited by GreeneHunter
spelling

We wanted to " Cut the Cord " and went with DirectTV for TV service but kept cable for internet . Well after the 1 year of big DirectTV discounts our bill is now roughly 10-15 bucks more than if we stayed on cable for everything . And we're still one more year into our two year contract . Freebie Antenna just didnt cut it ! But whats a guy gonna do !

Every year they try to raise me. I tell them I'll leave them for fios unless they give me same discount. They always oblige.

EVERYTHING in this world is negotiable

10 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Every year they try to raise me. I tell them I'll leave them for fios unless they give me same discount. They always oblige.

EVERYTHING in this world is negotiable

I hear ya .... unfortunately where we live is one mile south of FIOS !

• Like 1