My take on antler restrictions

upstatehunter

12 minutes ago, growalot said:

Chas ...why am I not surprised with your NOT getting the point of that post? Again you talking of your fathers buck clearly swings inline with ,No earthly reason for AR's in 8N...keep talking...

chas

Hmmm, we passed the same deer 3 years in a row practicing ANTLER RESTRICTIONS on our own property. I'm not sure but you are proving the point that antler restrictions would work if implemented just from your photos.....

Keep trying because...40 or so years of hunting and a bunch of racks hanging off wires in a basement or garage ceiling  waiting to be used as craft material show only one importance...useful material...I collect fencing and wood I collect odd pieces of wood  shipping materials packing crates...They mean nothing more to me than racks from deer I shot say 30 years ago I haven't payed attention to for 20 years other than to move out of the way..I still have my years books...doesn't mean I cherished my high school years..I have never been to a reunion and they use to call and practically beg me to go...you are so clearly grasping at straws.

OMG OK  wow this is going to be difficult...trying ,tongue bleeding, to be kind here........Obvious huge blinders..now think slowly on what you JUST said:

Hmmm, we passed the same deer 3 years in a row practicing ANTLER RESTRICTIONS on our own property.

but you are proving the point that antler restrictions would work if implemented just from your photos.....

This ...WITHOUT MANDATORY AR's!!!!!!!   You just can't see the connection there can you? Please! keep talking...

Here's a PS to this post you got me thinking you need visuals...So everyone has or has had that room. Ours is a walled off room in the corner of the basement...I think it's Mr B's retirement project...everything gets stuff in it. So I had to take this from a distance too much to walk through..Anyways I found just a few, the others are buried in there, but note those cane wooden chairs...They were a birthing gift from Mr B to me, set of 6, when I had our first child...she turns 35 in a few weeks. They were for me to refinish and cane the seats...Someday I actually will get to them... Though right now they are holding other future  projects from around the same tome frame...in case your still not getting the point the chairs actually mean a million times more to me than those racks. BTW the one I broke off the bucks head with the tractor bucket..memory...I shot the 8pt 2 weeks after hand surgery fixing a partially amputated finger...bow hunt with hand wrapped in a mitten of gauze...

IMG_1984.JPG

Edited by growalot

56 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

Hmmm, we passed the same deer 3 years in a row practicing ANTLER RESTRICTIONS on our own property. I'm not sure but you are proving the point that antler restrictions would work if implemented just from your photos.....

I have to ask, did you actually pass on him, or did he just never present a legit opportunity at taking him. I only ask because ALOT of guys misuse the phrase "we passed on him for X years", when in reality, they never had a real chance at him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dbHunterNY said:

i claim BS that all those bucks are yearlings.... i won't discredit yearlings can have higher quantities of points in your defense.

Call b.s. all you want. I know what they were . It is hard to tell by pic I understand that. I had these deer in hand. Even the trail cam photo. No after kill photo of that available. We see very few spikes or forkhorns in our woods. Not saying none just few. We even have a few 4 and 5 points. We have many 6,8,10point 1.5  year old deer. Ar would not affect me as far as being able to shoot bucks. It would as far as it forces me to kill what someone else says I should because another hunter wants to controlling what I do as to benefit himself. That fact is at will do little to protect a large number of yearling bucks. That can not be done with points. But then I see a lot of you equate age with number of points so I can see why some would think point restrictions will help. The only ar we need is a restriction on the number of bucks each hunter can kill not the size.

1 hour ago, chas0218 said:

Okay so once again, you re-purpose the antlers into furniture, decor, whatever you want. But they don't mean anything to you. They obviously mean something to you whether it is enjoyment of a mount like some or making art with them you enjoy the antlers. This is kind of my point no matter how much people say they "Dont' care about the bone" or "Who cares about that stuff you can't eat" they still care by doing something with it one way or another.

Is there any other part of a deer you re-purpose bone wise?

Someone doing or making something with antlers is a far cry from really caring whether they shoot a trophy sized deer or not.  Even native Americans and anyone else who hunted thru the ages made items like buttons and utensils out of antler bone.  Did these people really aim to shoot a deer with the biggest antlers when they went out to hunt??  No way.  All they cared about was putting a deer down for food.  Anything else that the deer provided like skins and bone was also used.  Why would they waste it?  There are still people hunting today with the same philosophy.  This surely doesn't make them "trophy" hunters or obsessed with antlers like some of you others seem to be just because they might use antlers for various purposes.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Someone doing or making something with antlers is a far cry from really caring whether they shoot a trophy sized deer or not.  Even native Americans and anyone else who hunted thru the ages made items like buttons and utensils out of antler bone.  Did these people really aim to shoot a deer with the biggest antlers when they went out to hunt??  No way.  All they cared about was putting a deer down for food.  Anything else that the deer provided like skins and bone was also used.  Why would they waste it?  There are still people hunting today with the same philosophy.  This surely doesn't make them "trophy" hunters or obsessed with antlers like some of you others seem to be just because they might use antlers for various purposes.

Most hunters are trophy hunters. Depends on what u consider a trophy. It's funny where these threads go. Scenario: two bucks walk by u together, one a spike other an 8, both present perfect safe shots at same time, which do u shoot? We all know the majority answer is, bigger one. Minus a few that shoot the first one before seeing second or claim that they can't chew them old rutty deer of course. 

1 hour ago, growalot said:

Because I am a collector...I collect things to be used for later projects and Mr. B wanted to save them as a project for him...

I'm not really on any side of this argument. but you can obtain far more racks by just shed hunting if that's what you're after.

why do people feel the need to defend trophy hunting? I hunt for horns. I eat every ounce of meat regardless of sex and I shoot at least a doe every year. But yes, I do hunt for horns. And yes I do it for the challenge and because I like how they look on my wall. Putting horns on my wall doesn't change the meat in my freezer, ya'll need to stop being bullied into feeling bad for wanting to shoot a buck. Stop feeling bad for wanting to take a picture with a  3.5 and make it your fb profile pic or your forum avatar. There is absolutely nothing wrong with horn hunting so long as you still eat the meat.

• Like 7

40 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I have to ask, did you actually pass on him, or did he just never present a legit opportunity at taking him. I only ask because ALOT of guys misuse the phrase "we passed on him for X years", when in reality, they never had a real chance at him.

Really was restraint on my part. I had him dead to rights as a 2.5 year old directly under my stand during bow but was around 100", the year later he was bigger but still not what I wanted to take but didn't get close enough for a bow shot but could have been taken during gun by myself and my father. This last season same deal 40 yards with a gun in an open field weekend after thanksgiving. No BS I have really passed on deer that others would have shot the year prior this being 1. I think it was 2014 that I had shot a doe day before and was basically done for the season didn't need anymore meat but went hunting with my father in law because no one else wanted too. I was only in stand to enjoy that time of year I just like being in the woods. He had saw a nice 9 point not sure how big but nice enough he wanted to shoot it. I didn't think too much of it but he told me if I saw him and he was headed towards the state land shoot him if he keeps coming let him live. I told him no problem unfortunately he winded my father in law about 40 yards down the ridge and was ready to head towards the state land. I had this deer in front of me for 20 minutes making scraps and doing what bucks do but that was a 137" 9 point that I was going to pass because I didn't need anymore meat. 

Call me a liar, only thing you have to go by is my word. But there really are people out there that do this. We practice AR's not because we want big racks but we like to see deer. This season alone we had 13 different bucks of all ages running around the property. The rut was incredible to see how they act with an actually pecking order.

• Like 1

More than once I've had 2 buck' s walk by  and shot the smaller ...best shot angle..ect,etc......

1 a nice 8 followed buy a big 10 

2 my very first bow buck a absolute monster,I do mean monster of a buck 20 yrds wouldn't turn..he had a 9  opposite him 30 yrds angling toward me and the 7 I shot running into challenge him

3 a huge 8 I passed for a smaller injured 7 that went to the DEC for a new tag.

4  A 6 over an 8

I feel sad for some of you...

12 minutes ago, Belo said:

I'm not really on any side of this argument. but you can obtain far more racks by just shed hunting if that's what you're after.

why do people feel the need to defend trophy hunting? I hunt for horns. I eat every ounce of meat regardless of sex and I shoot at least a doe every year. But yes, I do hunt for horns. And yes I do it for the challenge and because I like how they look on my wall. Putting horns on my wall doesn't change the meat in my freezer, ya'll need to stop being bullied into feeling bad for wanting to shoot a buck. Stop feeling bad for wanting to take a picture with a  3.5 and make it your fb profile pic or your forum avatar. There is absolutely nothing wrong with horn hunting so long as you still eat the meat.

Yes sir Belo, I agree with you. No one should be ostracized for legally shooting any deer of their "choosing". And it should not matter if the choice is a three inch spike or a one fifty inch ten point. The real point is that everyone should have that choice. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And if for any reason someone is not happy about what they have shot, perhaps they need to step up their game. But it should never be forced on anyone to do so.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

Really was restraint on my part. I had him dead to rights as a 2.5 year old directly under my stand during bow but was around 100", the year later he was bigger but still not what I wanted to take but didn't get close enough for a bow shot but could have been taken during gun by myself and my father. This last season same deal 40 yards with a gun in an open field weekend after thanksgiving. No BS I have really passed on deer that others would have shot the year prior this being 1. I think it was 2014 that I had shot a doe day before and was basically done for the season didn't need anymore meat but went hunting with my father in law because no one else wanted too. I was only in stand to enjoy that time of year I just like being in the woods. He had saw a nice 9 point not sure how big but nice enough he wanted to shoot it. I didn't think too much of it but he told me if I saw him and he was headed towards the state land shoot him if he keeps coming let him live. I told him no problem unfortunately he winded my father in law about 40 yards down the ridge and was ready to head towards the state land. I had this deer in front of me for 20 minutes making scraps and doing what bucks do but that was a 137" 9 point that I was going to pass because I didn't need anymore meat. 

Call me a liar, only thing you have to go by is my word. But there really are people out there that do this. We practice AR's not because we want big racks but we like to see deer. This season alone we had 13 different bucks of all ages running around the property. The rut was incredible to see how they act with an actually pecking order.

Im not calling you a liar, just asking.

43 minutes ago, Matthewsshooter said:

Most hunters are trophy hunters. Depends on what u consider a trophy. It's funny where these threads go. Scenario: two bucks walk by u together, one a spike other an 8, both present perfect safe shots at same time, which do u shoot? We all know the majority answer is, bigger one. Minus a few that shoot the first one before seeing second or claim that they can't chew them old rutty deer of course. 

if its the 8 i posted earlier in the thread, Id shoot neither of them.

19 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Im not calling you a liar, just asking.

No i understand I didn't think you were I was putting that out there for those that doubt me.

57 minutes ago, Belo said:

I guess that is the misconception is trophy hunters only go for the head gear and waste the meat. I hunt for meat but in the process try to take the biggest buck and most mature animal on our property. So if you wanted to classify me as a trophy hunter you could but my main reason for hunting is for the meat.

I haven't had tag soup in many years but not every year I take a buck worth hanging on the wall.

Belo I dont think people are trying bully trophy hunters. What we are saying is there are many types of trophies and it's not up to someone else to define that for anyone else.  In the same line of thinking trophy hunters shouldn't be bullying others into having to choose to hunt, what they, trophy hunters, choose to hunt using excuses such as herd health.

Edited by growalot

40 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

No i understand I didn't think you were I was putting that out there for those that doubt me.

I guess that is the misconception is trophy hunters only go for the head gear and waste the meat. I hunt for meat but in the process try to take the biggest buck and most mature animal on our property. So if you wanted to classify me as a trophy hunter you could but my main reason for hunting is for the meat.

I haven't had tag soup in many years but not every year I take a buck worth hanging on the wall.

I too make sure my freezer is full, the difference is that I wont shoot a small buck to do it. In my opinion a trophy hunter will pass the small bucks in favor of the big ones. Be proud, not ashamed of that if that's what you do. I haven't shot a buck in 2 years. It sucks and I'm not proud of that, but my freezer has always been full. And I'll note, a 2.5 is a shooter for me, not a trophy for all or going on my wall either but a shooter. As  grampy said it's in the beholder.

• Like 2

On 4/5/2017 at 8:43 AM, chas0218 said:

If they are irrelevant how do you tell how old a buck is? I don't want to get into the argument that antlers don't tell the age, but other than that and a few other attributes you can't tell without the antlers.

You can tell a deer is over three pretty damn easy. No brisket short legs sag starting in back..after that its a guessing game.. 1.5. Are thin hipped and slim waisted . 2.5 are between the two.. I have seen thousands of deer and horns are misjudged about 50% Or more of the time but bodies don't lie. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, G-Man said:

You can tell a deer is over three pretty damn easy. No brisket short legs sag starting in back..after that its a guessing game.. 1.5. Are thin hipped and slim waisted . 2.5 are between the two.. I have seen thousands of deer and horns are misjudged about 50% Or more of the time but bodies don't lie. 

agree 100%. Becomes even easier during archery. I think we all know too many guys who barely ID their target before pulling the trigger with a gun though.

• Like 2