Stick shotgun shell

ATbuckhunter

So when I was placing my ground blind for turkey season this past Monday, I took the opportunity to pattern my shotgun. On my 5th (thankfully that was the last one I needed) shot, I saw that the shell was stuck in the receiver. I closed the action again to see if that would pull it out, but no luck. I didn't have time to take it out then and still haven't had the chance to take it out. I'm thinking that I should take my cleaning rod and try to lightly tap it out that way. How would you guys do it? Also maybe you could give me some insight on why this happened. Planning on trying to get it out tonight after I get home from jiu jitsu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you 110% it's a spent round with no others in there ??

Can you take apart the gun? 

Dad(92) told me back in the day of paper hulled shotgun shells that the paper shells would swell up while grouse hunting in the side by side. They'd always be on the look out for a really straight stick to poke them out with

Extractor ?

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 1

I don't mean to imply that you're sloppy about your gun care, so please don't take it that way, but the vast majority of FTE (failure to extract) issues are caused by inadequate cleaning. Just a few thousandths of an inch of powder residue buildup on the bolt face can cause the extractor to not engage. The same can be said of the bolt springs, guiderails or slots depending on the action type, and if the bolt doesn't function freely it can cause an FTE. Beyond the cleaning issue I would look first at the extractor. They do wear out and/or break.

And like turkeyfeathers said above, first make damned sure that it's not a live round in there.

• Like 1

It is 100 percent a spent round. I only load one round in the chamber while practicing. I shot and realized it didn't eject when I cycled the action.
Philoshop- I definitely didn't take it in a bad way, it is completely possible that I missed cleaning the chamber. I was cleaning 3 guns after my late physics 2 class so I was pretty tired. I'll be sure to clean it very well once I get it out. It is also a brass shell. I'll test it out with some dummy rounds to make sure there is no issue come my hunt.

• Like 2

After a physics 2 class the only thing my brain would want is a nap! Good for you cleaning three guns! Hopefully it is something as simple as a real good cleaning of the extractor and chamber.  Good luck young man!

Oh trust me I was ready for a nap, but after spending that kind of money on guns I'm going to do everything I can to make sure they last lifetimes. Appreciate the kind words!

• Like 1

I would use a wooded dowel not a punch rod. If you have to tap the punch rod you can bugger up the threads. I wouldn't try extracting it anymore by cycling that's a good way to break an extractor. When I was instructing at a tactical school mossbergs were notorious for broken extractors due to stuck shells. I'm not sure if it was week extractors or tight chambers. We also had a 1/2 wooded dowel handy all the time for stuck hulls.

In no way is this a nock on Mossberg because we were shooting 500 shells "slugs/buck" in a 2 day class. That's more wear and tear on a gun than most guns will see in 5 lifetimes.

35 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I would use a wooded dowel not a punch rod. If you have to tap the punch rod you can bugger up the threads. I wouldn't try extracting it anymore by cycling that's a good way to break an extractor. When I was instructing at a tactical school mossbergs were notorious for broken extractors due to stuck shells. I'm not sure if it was week extractors or tight chambers. We also had a 1/2 wooded dowel handy all the time for stuck hulls.

In no way is this a nock on Mossberg because we were shooting 500 shells "slugs/buck" in a 2 day class. That's more wear and tear on a gun than most guns will see in 5 lifetimes.

Oddly enough my gun is a mossberg 535. 

Stubby- It is a heavy shot shell.m

Okay quick update here. I was too impatient to go out and get a wooden dowel so I just used my cleaning rod to pop the shell out. I never use it to clean my guns, but I did put a piece of paper towel at the tip to soften the blow. It came out on the second tap and both taps were very light. Cleaned the receiver and extractor and it was actually very clean. I cycled a bunch of shells to make sure it was working properly and it cycled flawlessly every time. The shell looked like it was in good condition too. Hoping ti was just a fluke. 

• Like 4